What do you think? Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
alienillusions
Banned

BobDaNob wrote:Yes, Satriani all but owns the legato world...it makes me feel like crap every time I try to learn one of his solos. LOL
Yeah, no kidding. It's weird, I can play Satch Boogie perfectly, but I always mess up that fast minor legato stuff in the fourth position on Always With Me, Always With You... I really want to learn Vai's legato part from Little Wing and the G3 triple neck solo as well...
1fine69
Newcomer

I think Vai had more influence from Hendrix/Page over EVH. But, Vai has not really played like them in a long time. Vai kind of developed his own style/signature sound. And every album he strives to create more original songs like nothing he has ever done before. Once you reach point of Guitar Virtuoso, does it really matter whos better then who? They are the best and can play anything you throw at them. Its just a matter of who digs what of what they play. Eddie played pop at the time, face it, he was popular as hell. Vai is more underground because of his refusal to play the kind of songs the General public likes (we guitarist who strive on theory are at the bottom of the food chain with the public)(close enough), make a video, or play anything related to modern pop music, since it kind of... Died? You wont hear Vai on the radio but eruption comes on our local rock station 41 times a day.
burnt out

I think Mr. Ed (EVH) could lay down an instrumental album that would totally blow our minds.That's what I think.

And Ed is a composer too~

8) ROCK ON!
Ant711UK

I don't think so :?

He's a great player but I don't think he's anywhere near capable of producing something like Fire Garden or Real Illusions.
Penelope

It's all academic anyway seeing as how evh has never made a solo album. Why argue a moot point? This thread sucks
bcgvh

I think Eddie could lay down some killer instrumental albums, he's got it in him. Go and listen to stuff like "Baluchitherium" and "Respect The Wind".
alienillusions
Banned

Ant711UK wrote:I don't think so :?

He's a great player but I don't think he's anywhere near capable of producing something like Fire Garden or Real Illusions.
You've gotta be kidding me!! Van Halen (self titled) and 1984 both trump Real Illusions by a long shot.
markelia

EVH is the fucking man. Of course we all love SV too. What's the point of this thread again... :roll:
alienillusions
Banned

markelia wrote:EVH is the fucking man. Of course we all love SV too. What's the point of this thread again... :roll:
You know, you're right. I can see this going nowhere even though I'm contributing myself...
burnt out

I'm with you last two guys.There's just way too many of these stupid general disccussion types of threads on this here 'music theory' forum.

Where the fuck are the mods?
alienillusions
Banned

burnt out wrote:I'm with you last two guys.There's just way too many of these stupid general disccussion types of threads on this here 'music theory' forum.

Where the fuck are the mods?
I'll betcha they're at G3 Japan, eating sushi and playing the newest videogames...
Ant711UK

If you get the chance, watch the video of Van Hagar playing Led Zep’s Rock’n’Roll at Farm Aid in 85.
Sammy Hagar pronounces Van Halen to be ‘The King’ after he had just played a typical EVH solo.

Now this was around the time Vai had just gone to DLR. Why did Sammy Hagar have to say that? Was he worried about the effect that Mr Vai’s emergence may have on the fragile ego of EddieVan Halen maybe?? Or he just thought he’d kiss his ass in public to ensure he keeps his job?
rellimmas
Newcomer

He said it beacause its true. I have a copy of a van halen gig when DLR was the singer and he called Eddie "the best Rock n Roll Guitar player in the world". So I think even if Vai hadnt joined up with Whitesnake Hagar would have still called him "the king" just beacuse he is. And I also agree with some of the earlier posts saying that this whole thread is a waste of time, Although while Im here my opinion would be that Steve Vai is perhaps a more accomplished guitarist but I prefer Eddie simply because of how exciting his playing is and how consistent his music is, particularly his riffs. Thats not taking anything from Vai because his music is fantastic also but listening to the first Van Halen album, 1984 and 5150 for the first time was just amazing.
bcgvh

[quote="rellimmas"]He said it beacause its true. I have a copy of a van halen gig when DLR was the singer and he called Eddie "the best Rock n Roll Guitar player in the world".[/quote]

You're right, Dave and Sammy both said it on a nightly basis. Zakk Wylde and Ted Nugent both claim that Eddie is the best every chance they get as well. Who cares though, I doubt that either Steve or Eddie would want to be apart of these kinds of discussions..........
johny

I don't understand why some people call this thread a waste of time?!
It has more replies than most threads.... so obviously people enjoy these kind of threads.

:headbang