What do you think? Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Pandemonium
Newcomer

Hi folks...now, do you think Steve Vai would be where he is without Eddie Van Halen? I mean, don't get me wrong, Vai is amazing, and he's my hero, but some of the stuff Vai does, is very similar to Eddie. The tapping stuff he does (not the style)... :shock: And just the style of the music...did you ever hear "kittens got claws" by Whitesnake (Steve Vai)? It sounds exactly like Van Halen stuff...so what do you think, Vai never really mentions Eddie, but do you think he's a major influence on Vai?
Ragnar III

Vai played like that in Whitesnake because that's how hair metal was supposed to sound. He doesn't play like EVH at all in his own music
frostie

vai didn't write any of the material on slip of the tongue either, adrian the original guitarist did, vai just played it. Plus like the above post said, its meant to sound like that.
kpxmikey89

i think if jimi hendrix werent there, vai AND evh wouldnt be as they are right now :wink:
RAI

And EVH did NOT "invent" tapping....
Just because you tap, doesn't mean that you're trying to be like EVH.
8)
Mark O'Neil
Newcomer

Certain guitarists come along at certain times that are like aliens from another planet. In the 60's it was Hendrix; in the 70's it was Eddie Van Halen; in the 80's we had two Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. I'm not sure you could have had Steve Vai without Eddie from the gear standpoint. I mean, I think Eddie more or less created a new sound for the guitar and without his innovations using affects and things the gear might not have been there for Vai to get his trademark sound, just as, without Hendrix the gear would not have been available for Eddie to get his sound.

I also believe that the guitarists of the 80's were so good and so original that we are still in awe over twenties years later and haven't really created a new sound yet. The only difference I've seen is a kind of negative reaction, the grunge/alternative reaction in which music is seen as a series of tropes, guitar solos being one of them, and the solos are then parodied and the guitarist plays badly usually intentionally. Postmodern self-referentiality, as though Donald Barthelme were writing music.

What I'd like to see is a mind melding -- something like the technique of Vai and the lyrical content of say Radiohead. That would be the perfect thing for me.
Duranium

mmmmmm, Steve Vai can have Eddie Van Halen as an influence, if he sounds like EVH in the first times, can be because Steve were evolving his own technique, but he dont have found in this times, his own sound...
caladan58
Newcomer

I think the case for Eddie V H influencing Steve Vai is overstated.
They both tap, they use a lot of pinched harmonics, but so do hundreds of guitarists.

Steve's legato is far superior to EVH. The only other guitarist who comes close is Allan Holdsworth.

I saw Vai in Birmingham last week - truly amazing.
Youngshredder

caladan58 wrote:I think the case for Eddie V H influencing Steve Vai is overstated.
They both tap, they use a lot of pinched harmonics, but so do hundreds of guitarists.

Steve's legato is far superior to EVH. The only other guitarist who comes close is Allan Holdsworth.

I saw Vai in Birmingham last week - truly amazing.
\

Allan Holdsworth owns all that is legato. No body comes close. Especially not a rock guiarist (not trying to bad mouth anyone, but it's true).

EVH's legato technique is pretty great though. Check out the stuff he does in the "Live without a net" dvd. He has some awesome legato runs. You can also listen to 1984.
Nightmare405

THEYRE BOTH AMAZING PLAYERS :twisted:
Mark O'Neil
Newcomer

I think Eddie influenced everyone. Remember, his Eruption came out in 1977 and changed everything. There's no way Vai wasn't influenced by that.

Now, this may sound strange, there is another kind of influence that is difficult to detect, that is a negative influence, that is what is often called in literature the 'anxiety of influence.' Someone likes someone's style so much that they become dead set against copying it and do everything they can NOT to sound like the person who was so influential to them. I'm not saying that's what Eddie is to Vai but, c'mon, anyone around in the early 80's has to remember how enormous Eruption and Eddie were. So, someone as creative as a Steve Vai of and Yngwie Malmsteen would have sone everything they could not to sound the way people expected a rock star guitarist to sound -- that is like Eddie VH. I don't know, just an idea. :)
kpxmikey89

lol, another controversial thread about vai and evh....

they are both good, but evh is more a bit overated, popular, and influential guitarist

even though vai is not as popular as evh, u guys all kno that they both are amazing players :o
Miracle_Man
Newcomer

kpxmikey89 wrote:lol, another controversial thread about vai and evh....

they are both good, but evh is more a bit overated, popular, and influential guitarist

even though vai is not as popular as evh, u guys all kno that they both are amazing players :o
IMO, an Innovator such as Eddie, cannot be OVERrated. The man changed the way guitar was played.
xEvOx

mmm people aren't you forgetting mr Frank Zappa, musically I think he is Steves biggest inspiration, but I mean a guy like Steve takes inspiration from any musicians that sounds exclusive to his ears, like on Incantation he said that he got somekind of wild vibrato thing from a mandolin player named Shrinivas, so sure he might have been inspired by EVHs guitar technique but deffinatly not musically.
lydian2000

Mark O'Neil wrote:Certain guitarists come along at certain times that are like aliens from another planet. In the 60's it was Hendrix; in the 70's it was Eddie Van Halen; in the 80's we had two Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. I'm not sure you could have had Steve Vai without Eddie from the gear standpoint. I mean, I think Eddie more or less created a new sound for the guitar and without his innovations using affects and things the gear might not have been there for Vai to get his trademark sound, just as, without Hendrix the gear would not have been available for Eddie to get his sound.

I also believe that the guitarists of the 80's were so good and so original that we are still in awe over twenties years later and haven't really created a new sound yet. The only difference I've seen is a kind of negative reaction, the grunge/alternative reaction in which music is seen as a series of tropes, guitar solos being one of them, and the solos are then parodied and the guitarist plays badly usually intentionally. Postmodern self-referentiality, as though Donald Barthelme were writing music.

What I'd like to see is a mind melding -- something like the technique of Vai and the lyrical content of say Radiohead. That would be the perfect thing for me.
couldnt agree more...! and radiohead and vai on stage should be possible....quality is quality is quality