Thoughts on this custom & custom touch

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Dynna

Thoughts on this custom & custom touch

#1 Post by Dynna » Mon May 05, 2003 11:51 am

Here are a couple of links to pics of two of my guitars. The green one was a stock white 540 'til I busted it showing off, so I got a new body with some rather obvious custom touches. And the JEM has got a marble look mack-tack on it. I used to have a black Universe w/ green p/u's that looked amzing with this mack-tack on it. I have a pic, but it's not posted...yet.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/785 ... HCbeDvJEvl
http://community.webshots.com/photo/785 ... wBBxONYNDx

So...thoughts?

Word

#2 Post by Word » Mon May 05, 2003 2:03 pm

It looks wonderful.. but a 22 fret Jem is just scareligious to me. lol :D

Junebughunter

#3 Post by Junebughunter » Mon May 05, 2003 11:49 pm

Are those toggle switches rather than a 5-way pickup selector I see :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dynna

#4 Post by Dynna » Tue May 06, 2003 10:16 pm

It's still a 540 Power shape with a monkey grip, recessed jack, and a green finish. I won't say it's THE green finish, but I do know that when you take this puppy outside it turns totally flourescent. I added a Fred, and the two Hot-rails p/u's, plus the fourth toggle which is full Fred down, and the other toggles when up. It's not meant to be a JEM, but more of a blend of the JS & SV guitars. It's a stock 540 power with a new body and different pick-ups. The electroncs and neck are all the same as the day I bought them as a white 540.

The mack-tack on the Jem is ONE piece. No small feat(try it), but it protects the front from scratches, and comes off easily. Use a little duct tape around a finger to get any sticky residue off if you need to remove the mack-tack.

mercjoe
Newcomer

#5 Post by mercjoe » Wed May 07, 2003 6:20 am

Sweet axes dude! I like the green............very classy. Thanks for sharing with us. :D

Word

#6 Post by Word » Wed May 07, 2003 6:41 am

Oh cool.. a little fusion between a JS and Jem.. never thought of doing that before! Cool!

If you don't mind me asking, who did the monkey grip?

Dynna

#7 Post by Dynna » Wed May 07, 2003 1:46 pm

The whole body was built by Sheldon Dingwall( http://www.dingwallguitars.com/ ) in Saskatoon, Sask., Canada. When I broke the original body(TIP: when throwing a guitar around your body, make sure the screw at the butt-end is secure), I could actually open the serious structure crack and look inside. All the electronics and neck were fine. Sheldon built the new body based on the old one(it's 1/4" smaller all the way around) and then add the monkey grip and recessed jack probably based on a copy of the JEM body design printed in the May '88 issue of Guitar World with SV on the cover that I had given him. He had to do some R&D to get the color right, so I'm not sure if it is indeed the "right" green, but there is that chance. Sheldon knows Rich Lasner, who designed the original 540 Power guitars for Ibanez.

Don't ask what made me go mack-tack on my JEM. Probably had something to do with the cool mack-tack design and the plain black JEM.

Dingwall's are AMAZING basses BTW. Literal tons of innovative ideas all over those basses. Check out the bridge for starters.

Dynna

#8 Post by Dynna » Fri May 09, 2003 11:15 pm

Here's a photo of the UV7BK w/ marble mack-tack applied. It's no great photo, but it should make you want the marble option from Ibanez.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/725 ... 1204vgDQJZ