Which is better? The Ibanez or Fender?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Message
Author
spawn2048
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:20 am
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England
Contact:

#31 Post by spawn2048 » Mon May 05, 2003 9:45 am

=greg Ooh yeah, remember guys, Clapton, Page and Beck have all done stuff playing both strats/teles AND gibsons.
ok, lets name a few Ibanez players, Satriani, Timmons, Gilbert and of course our good ole friend Steve

Moderator666
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:50 pm
Location: vai.com
Contact:

#32 Post by Moderator666 » Mon May 05, 2003 10:26 am

i like ibanez

engines of dreams
Newcomer
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 9:55 am
Contact:

#33 Post by engines of dreams » Tue May 06, 2003 11:08 am

My personal favourites are ibanez, I love them for me there arent better guitars in this world but as Word said it all comes down to personal preference.......and he's right :!: :!:

Fink Floyd
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 11:42 pm
Location: A small town in north Wales you've probably never heard of.

#34 Post by Fink Floyd » Wed May 07, 2003 12:22 am

I play a Mexican Fender Strat (into a nice tube amp) and I love it to bits. The Strat really is the definitive electric guitar IMO. It sounds great, the action is nice, and it still is the best looking guitar 50 years after it was conceived. I'm not mad keen on Ibanezes (Ibani?) compared to a Strat because I'm not too keen on 'pointy' but that's just me.

Also, I think the people who criticise Fender for having bad quality control are people who haven't really played one. Sure, you get a few turkeys, but no more than any other company (certainly less than Gibson). Music Man, PRS and Ibanez are examples of companies with above average quality control, but Fender make damn good product these days. Also, I know Fender's range may seem confusing, but at least they're trying to cover all the bases. I for one like having the choice.

Also, I find Strats nicer to play than Ibanez. I like a fairly chunky neck, so Ibanez's wide/slim/flat neck are pretty uncomfortable for me. A nice C or D carve, that's the ticket! Besides, if it's good enough for Eric Johnson...

Word
Member
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:26 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

#35 Post by Word » Wed May 07, 2003 4:33 am

Sorry man.. it appears you do not know what you are talking about.. I have gathered my information from playing hundreds of strats, and all of them had quality control issues. It's been the same for others, and OLDER more experience musicians.

Ernie Ball Music Man makes a guitar that could blow away Fender ANY DAY concerning quality, and usually playability unless it's been poorly setup.

PRS makes a FINE guitar, although the quality is not as good as it used to be, it's still real nice.

Ibanez has better quality control over Fender.. I've played, seen and heard.. you're not talking to an inexperienced person who has only played one.

Fink Floyd
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 11:42 pm
Location: A small town in north Wales you've probably never heard of.

#36 Post by Fink Floyd » Wed May 07, 2003 5:21 am

Ok, fair enough, but there are good Fenders out there. I think some people (and I'm not directing this at you here) think Fender don't build their guitars as well as some others because they don't usually come with a very low action. Modern Fenders are IMO extremely well built and can put up with a beating and come back for more. I admit Fender during the late 70s and most of the 80s had appalling quality control, as did Gibson. That's one of the reasons why people like Ibanez and PRS could get a foothold in the market - because the big makes stumbled.

EBMM and PRS have superb build quality, but are more expensive than Fender. I think Fender do a very good job of building guitars to a price point. Ibanez may have better QC for a similar price, but they're built in Japan with lower build costs and can therefore be cheaper. No doubt about it, Ibanezezez (just what the hell IS the plural of Ibanez???) are good value, but some people have that brand snobbiness and wouldn't touch a non-USA built axe.

Finally, just to address your rather insulting first sentence. I'm new on this forum, and I don't want to get anyone's back up, but I don't appreciate being told that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've played over 40 Fenders - 50s Strats, 60s Strats and Teles, at least 10 70s Fenders, Relics, American Standard etc. At least 5 of those had defects, and that's not a good ratio, but the others were nice. My Mex Strat compares well with the best of them and I genuinely believe that modern Fenders are pretty much the best they've been. I respect the fact that you disagree with me - Fenders aren't for everyone. But, I know I know what I'm talking about. So please don't tell me I don't.

User avatar
Moderator777
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:40 pm
Location: vai.com
Contact:

#37 Post by Moderator777 » Wed May 07, 2003 5:35 am

Play nice gentlemen. Word - you should approach your posts differently in the future as not to directly or indirectly insult a forum member in such a way. Fink has opinions (as clearly stated in his post) so don't jump him for having his own opinion. I've seen good and bad of EVERY major brand guitar and saying one has better or worse quality control is left up to the consumer's opinion. Most of the problems can be fixed by the buyer or if the seller is a reputable vendor then they should fix the problem before it goes out to the sales floor. Shipping product anywhere can cause setup problems in transit. I've played and owned many Fenders and Ibanez guitars and I'll say the quality issues on each were equal - depending on what price bracket you were buying in.

--------------
Dêkuji,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Last edited by Moderator777 on Wed May 07, 2003 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Word
Member
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:26 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

#38 Post by Word » Wed May 07, 2003 5:37 am

I didn't mean to insult you, and I don't want to make enemies with anyone on this board... I was having family trouble at the time that I posted that, and I apologize.

You are, however, correct in the price area. You just can't beat paying 400-500 used for a USA strat in excellent shape on E Bay, or 200-250 bucks for a used Standard mexi strat.

See.. the thing is.. I'm not quite as anal about small quality issues, because I buy a guitar to play, and it's going to get beat up. I was just merely pointing out that from what I've experienced that Ibanez has more control over small quality issues than Fender. Fender does make a fine guitar though, I wouldn't mind owning a USA strat or 2. ;) hehe

Also, Dr. Baker and Junebug.. Satch has said that, Vai has said that, EVH has said that.. if I had a nickle for every musician who has said that, I'd be rich. ;) hehe

I agree with that statement too.. but that's a whole other thread. ;)

Blue_Powder
Member
Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am
Location: Boston
Contact:

#39 Post by Blue_Powder » Wed May 07, 2003 6:42 am

It's funny....

I grew up playing Fenders. My first real guitar was a Telecaster and years later I got a few Strats.

A few years ago I picked up and RG550 and then proceeded to have a RG7420, UV777BK and a RG7620 come through the arsenal. The RG7420 got sold off for profit; I hated the trem on it. The RG550 was a great axe but with the UV777BK it seemed redundant and I got a great deal on an Epiphone Les Paul which halted my decade long hunt for one. The RG7620 is around, but probably won't stay which leaves me with the UV777BK.

A few months ago I wandered into a guitar shop. This was odd because I'm in a year-long self-imposed hiatus from being in a band. I'd decided to walk away from gigging to pursue other things. Anyway, I walked in an played a MIM Strat that was just the guitar I dreamed of. I spent ten days trying to talk myself out of it and was just unable to deny how great this guitar played, sounded and looked.

So....I've kind of had the chance to really be on both sides of things and I'm convinced it's a "right tool for the right job" answer. Robert Cray riffs on the Ibanez' (RG550, UV777BK, RG7620) just don't sound right. Same with SRV licks and Clapton-esque fills. But then again Slayer riffs just sound kind of goofy on the stock Strat.

Yes....you can drive nails with a screwdriver....and you can probably get pretty good at it. But if you have the access to the right tools then it makes sense to use them if for no other reason than they've been a good default workable option for so many for so long.

The caveat is that nothing is set in stone. What works for one may not work for all and there's always variations, styles and options that may be the right answer for some and not others.

I play what works for me....and by several accounts it sounds pretty good.

spawn2048
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:20 am
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England
Contact:

#40 Post by spawn2048 » Wed May 07, 2003 10:28 am

Fink Floyd wrote:
Ibanezes (Ibani?)
lol, I've never been sure of the plural for Ibanez, I just say Ibanez guitars when I am talking about more than one Ibanez

spawn2048
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:20 am
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England
Contact:

#41 Post by spawn2048 » Wed May 07, 2003 10:40 am

Moderator777 wrote:Play nice gentelmen. Word - you should approach your posts differently in the future as not to directly or indirectly insult a forum member in such a way. Fink has opinions (as clearly stated in his post) so don't jump him for having his own opinion. I've seen good and bad of EVERY major brand guitar and saying one has better or worse quality control is left up to the consumer's opinion. Most of the problems can be fixed by the buyer or if the seller is a reputable vendor then they should fix the problem before it goes out to the sales floor. Shipping product anywhere can cause setup problems in transit. I've played and owned many Fenders and Ibanez guitars and I'll say the quality issues on each were equal - depending on what price bracket you were buying in.

--------------
Dêkuji,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Your point about stores fixing minor defects is very interesting. Every single guitar of a popular make (eg. Fender, Gibson, etc.) that I have played in stores have been set-up perfectly. But whenever I pick up an Ibanez the set-up has been abomanible (sp?) they always have exceedingly high actions and the bridge is nowhere near the right position. It is really hard to get a true feel of how Ibanez (and similar makes) feel unless you have time (and of course permission) to tinker and do the set-up yourself. It is a shame that many people do not have the patience to own guitars with Floyd Rose (or Floyd Rose style) bridges, becuase IMO they are missing out on a lot. When I first got a guitar with a FR bridge I didn't get on too well, but after 1 or 2 months of perserverence set-ups and changing strings on guitars with FR bridges became second nature. It is a shame that many people do not have the patience to own guitars with Floyd Rose (or Floyd Rose style) bridges, but it is an even bigger shame when people in the stores do not have enough patience to set them up properly

Fink Floyd
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 11:42 pm
Location: A small town in north Wales you've probably never heard of.

#42 Post by Fink Floyd » Thu May 08, 2003 12:25 am

That's one thing about Fenders - I wish that the vintage pivot trem was a bit more stable. Mine might need a setup, but it really doesn't like any movement. It's good for quick string changes though.

Something just occured to me about Ibanez - why don't they use tonewoods like alder? The JEM7VWH does, and sounds better because of it. Wouldn't that be better than basswood?

(The moderators on this forum are freakishly efficient. Anyone who is a regular on the intermusic forum will know that I'm a bit of a vigilante, posting stern warnings after any nasty messages. I can see that it won't be necessary here)

Moderator666
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:50 pm
Location: vai.com
Contact:

#43 Post by Moderator666 » Thu May 08, 2003 1:51 am

Fink Floyd wrote: (The moderators on this forum are freakishly efficient. Anyone who is a regular on the intermusic forum will know that I'm a bit of a vigilante, posting stern warnings after any nasty messages. I can see that it won't be necessary here)
no it wont :D :twisted:

Word
Member
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:26 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

#44 Post by Word » Thu May 08, 2003 6:38 am

Fink Floyd wrote:That's one thing about Fenders - I wish that the vintage pivot trem was a bit more stable. Mine might need a setup, but it really doesn't like any movement. It's good for quick string changes though.

Something just occured to me about Ibanez - why don't they use tonewoods like alder? The JEM7VWH does, and sounds better because of it. Wouldn't that be better than basswood?

(The moderators on this forum are freakishly efficient. Anyone who is a regular on the intermusic forum will know that I'm a bit of a vigilante, posting stern warnings after any nasty messages. I can see that it won't be necessary here)
I like the way basswood sounds, and in some cases basswood is lighter.. so that may be the case with Ibanez.

Blue_Powder
Member
Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am
Location: Boston
Contact:

#45 Post by Blue_Powder » Thu May 08, 2003 8:37 pm

Fink Floyd wrote: Something just occured to me about Ibanez - why don't they use tonewoods like alder? The JEM7VWH does, and sounds better because of it. Wouldn't that be better than basswood?
What I find interesting is the name in and of itself...

Baswood....In all my years I don't ever recall seeing a Basswood tree. I've seen ash, maple, bubinga, mahogany...even purple heartwood. But not once have I ever heard or seen this magical "basswood" before it was cut down, worked over and had an Ibanez logo put on it.

It's very....odd.

Post Reply