Which is better? The Ibanez or Fender?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
LARP
Newcomer

Which is better? The Ibanez or Fender?

#1 Post by LARP » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:25 pm

In the Blues area, the Fender Stratocaster still is on top. When it comes to rock proggressive, the Ibanez is on top. Overall, which do YOU think is better, and why?

Moderator777

#2 Post by Moderator777 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:48 pm

Moved. This belongs in the guitar section as no poll was started for this thread.

--------------
Thank you,

Moderator777
www.vai.com

UV

#3 Post by UV » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:55 pm

Better for what?

U
v :wink:

shader

#4 Post by shader » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:10 pm

I like my Les Paul

Word

#5 Post by Word » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:39 am

This "poll" doesn't make any sense.

There's no guitar that's better or worse for any style, it all comes down to personal preference.

Andres Segovia could've been slingin' a nylon strung BC Rich Beast if he wanted to. :D

spawn2048

#6 Post by spawn2048 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:09 am

Ibanez is of course better than Fender, and most other makes to be honest, regardless of genre. There's no reason why you can't shift to your neck p/up turn the tone and volume down a bit and fire off some cool blues licks on the most radical of Ibanez guitars. But companies that still live in the 50's, 60's and 70's (eg. Fender and Gibson) are worse, can't people see that a 50 year old design with no innovation will be worse than a modern design with all the bells on.

Gabe Nickelson

#7 Post by Gabe Nickelson » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:24 am

spawn2048 wrote:Ibanez is of course better than Fender, and most other makes to be honest, regardless of genre.
Of course, this is your opinion, right?
spawn2048 wrote:But companies that still live in the 50's, 60's and 70's (eg. Fender and Gibson) are worse, can't people see that a 50 year old design with no innovation will be worse than a modern design with all the bells on.
OK, let's see how many well-known artists actually play Ibanez. Yeah, it's a good number, maybe 10-15%? What about the other 85-90%? Are those people blind? Most of them are successful and seem to make good music with their 'primitive guitars'.

My Les Paul has a unique sound that in no way can be made by an Ibanez. Same goes for my Fender. That's why there are different guitars, for different sounds and preference. If you don't like guitars designed over 50 years ago then that's cool. But don't assume everyone will agree with your opinion because I certainly don't.

Gabe

Moderator777

#8 Post by Moderator777 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:29 am

OK guys let's not start a downhill debate here. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. spawn2048 - you may want to re-word your post as what you stated is YOUR OPINION and not a fact, as it seems to come across the wrong way.

--------------
Thank you,

Moderator777
www.vai.com

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#9 Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:32 am

spawn2048 wrote:Ibanez is of course better than Fender, and most other makes to be honest, regardless of genre. There's no reason why you can't shift to your neck p/up turn the tone and volume down a bit and fire off some cool blues licks on the most radical of Ibanez guitars. But companies that still live in the 50's, 60's and 70's (eg. Fender and Gibson) are worse, can't people see that a 50 year old design with no innovation will be worse than a modern design with all the bells on.
I completely diagree with your post.

I don't think you can say one is better than the other. Fender and Gibson have tradition behind them. They are classic guitars that have helped define the instrument. They come to the table with a rich history, and with an integral link and association with some of the 20th Century's greatest musicians. Ibanez has, in a smaller way, done the same thing, but remember that we're talking about a much shorter space of time. They also are able to draw heavily on the innovation of those before them: Gibson and Fender.

Each has its own unique sound and signature. Steve still pulls out his old beaten up Stickered Strat when he wants that real 'strat' tone. Does it make it better than his Jems? No. It just makes it different. It's the same in reverse.

Sometimes people don't want bells and whistles. They want a beautiful design steeped in tradition and history that does the job beautifully. Fender and Gibson both continue to embrace innovation - it's just that they apply it to their guitars differently.

I love Ibanez guitars. I have two. I also have a Strat. I personally like the feel of the Jems/UVs better (especially the neck), but the strat makes me feel different when I play it. That said, my father is a Gibson collector, and playing an old Les Paul is a whole other wonderful experience entirely and nothing comes close.

Newer does not = better.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

spawn2048

#10 Post by spawn2048 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:35 am

Gabe Nickelson wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:Ibanez is of course better than Fender, and most other makes to be honest, regardless of genre.
Of course, this is your opinion, right?
spawn2048 wrote:But companies that still live in the 50's, 60's and 70's (eg. Fender and Gibson) are worse, can't people see that a 50 year old design with no innovation will be worse than a modern design with all the bells on.
OK, let's see how many well-known artists actually play Ibanez. Yeah, it's a good number, maybe 10-15%? What about the other 85-90%? Are those people blind? Most of them are successful and seem to make good music with their 'primitive guitars'.

My Les Paul has a unique sound that in no way can be made by an Ibanez. Same goes for my Fender. That's why there are different guitars, for different sounds and preference. If you don't like guitars designed over 50 years ago then that's cool. But don't assume everyone will agree with your opinion because I certainly don't.

Gabe
Of course it is just my opinion, which is no more or less valid than any one elses. I know my opinion is a minority, but I will not change my opinion because of that, and I will not force my opinion on any one else. However, that is not going to stop me expanding on my opinion, which might seem like argueing, so I am sorry.

Ok, well known artists mainly do play the big names. That is (IMHO) becasue of the image. Eric Clapton (for example) would not be Eric Clapton if he jumped up on the stage with an Ibanez. But then you have the arguement of people like Jeff Beck and YJM who are (in my mind) GOOD guitarists that use Fenders, but they are heavily modified, they are not the typical strat you can go into your lucal music store and buy.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#11 Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:52 am

spawn2048 wrote:Of course it is just my opinion, which is no more or less valid than any one elses. I know my opinion is a minority, but I will not change my opinion because of that, and I will not force my opinion on any one else. However, that is not going to stop me expanding on my opinion, which might seem like argueing, so I am sorry.

Ok, well known artists mainly do play the big names. That is (IMHO) becasue of the image. Eric Clapton (for example) would not be Eric Clapton if he jumped up on the stage with an Ibanez. But then you have the arguement of people like Jeff Beck and YJM who are (in my mind) GOOD guitarists that use Fenders, but they are heavily modified, they are not the typical strat you can go into your lucal music store and buy.
I think image is part of the reason anyone buys a guitar. I'll come right out and admit it. I have my Jem and Universe guitars because Steve plays them. Plain and simple. That's what made me seek them out in the first place. I happen to like them a whole lot too, and I love the way they play - I wouldn't have bought them otherwise.

If I was a rabid Randy Rhoads fan, it would probably play some part in me wanting and buying a Flying V. If I was a huge Slash or Jimmy Page fan it would probably play some part in me wanting and buying a Les Paul. If I was a huge Clapton fan, or a Beck or Malmsteen fan, I'd probably covet their Strat signature models (which you can buy in a store BTW). If I was a left-handed player, would I play a right-handed Strat strung upside down because Jimi did? You bet!

That's why there are endorsements and endorsees. Guitar companies want the top guitarists playing their instruments, just like Nike wants the top athletes wearing their shoes.

Image is everything, (baby). (Although substance fits in there somewhere too)...

- Mikey

Reaper

#12 Post by Reaper » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:05 pm

I'd say Ibanez, simply because I've never played a fender I really liked. I'm sure there are good ones out there, I just have never come across them. That said, I'd almost go for a little bit of variance in tolerances in some areas. Obviously you can't sacrifice the neck fit, the fretwork, or anything like that. But it was low tolerances in the pickup windings that gave SRV his "hot" tone, and with an ever-so-slightly different neck on each guitar, it would be much more interesting to try to find one you liked. Just my opinion...

Dave Swift

#13 Post by Dave Swift » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:53 pm

I'm not sure I understand the original poster, he answered his own question. If I'm playing progressive rock I'd like to have a RG style Ibanez with humbuckers and if I'm playing blues I'd like a vintage strat with single coils. Not that you couldn't play blues with a RG, but can anyone seriously dispute that it sounds more "authentic" to play blues with a strat through a nice tube amp?

Which is better overall? Well I guess you're just asking, do you like blues or do you like progressive rock better?

I own 5 Ibanez guitars and one strat... does that answer it from my perspective? :lol:

Don't forget that even Steve plays strats. They're different tools, used to achieve different sounds.

dex

#14 Post by dex » Thu May 01, 2003 7:17 am

Different instruments.
I'd say that Ibanez are more verstile as it is easyer to get "straty" sound out of an RG than it is to get flutter on a strat.
Then again as Mikey said playing a strat makes you feel diferent.
Maybe that's why for the past 6 months every time I jam along with the TV or the CD player I play my strat. :D
The funny thing is I use the strat even when I listen and jam along to Steve's music.

ilia

spawn2048

#15 Post by spawn2048 » Thu May 01, 2003 12:00 pm

Reaper wrote:I'd say Ibanez, simply because I've never played a fender I really liked. I'm sure there are good ones out there, I just have never come across them. That said, I'd almost go for a little bit of variance in tolerances in some areas. Obviously you can't sacrifice the neck fit, the fretwork, or anything like that. But it was low tolerances in the pickup windings that gave SRV his "hot" tone, and with an ever-so-slightly different neck on each guitar, it would be much more interesting to try to find one you liked. Just my opinion...
Yeah, that's another point, I've never played a Fender that feels comfortable or nice to play (and I have played more fenders than you can shake a stick at) , yet when I bought I 12 year old Jackson 2nd hand it just felt perfect to play straight away, It is the nices guitar I have ever played.