Jem features wishlist

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
MEX

Jem features wishlist

#1 Post by MEX » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:27 pm

i know this has been done many times, buy i would like to know what features would you like to see come factory standard in the jem, and i dont mean anything like color schemes and cosmetic stuff, but things that really improve the guitar (i know its perfect the way it is).

anyway just what i would love to see in a jem:

* Ibanez Back Stop, anyone knows why these things are not for sale anymore?
* Ibanez Tremolo Unfloating Block (ok, i just think these should be included in case anybody wants to kill their trem system). or probably something you can lock and unlock that works this way.
* Handrest like the one in the LNG. i guess these never worked that well, never saw steve using one of those
* Buzz Feiten Tuning, i dont know what is Ibanez waiting for.. come on guys well probably pay the extra money you need for the licensing.
* Speed tuners, like the Steinbergers, only in a more classic design but with the extra string cutting thing, it makes stringing a lot faster (http://www.musicyo.com/news/whatsup_dtl.asp?id=54) check it out.
* And i know now i will be pushing it (as if i hadnt done it this far!!) but lets dream with a Fernandes option? i know not everyone will like this so lets make it an option :D

ok lets all share what is our dream jem

SS

#2 Post by SS » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:13 pm

A patent problem buried the handrests, unfortunately...
Steve does have at least one guitar with one still on it; it's the pink Jem with the baritone neck on it, if I'm remembering correctly...
The other early instruments had them, and they were removed.
I need one of these, myself, to restore a LNG...

Word

#3 Post by Word » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:56 pm

Those tuners are ass ugly and I don't even think Vai has them on EVO right now.

Junebughunter

#4 Post by Junebughunter » Thu May 01, 2003 11:56 am

I think Ibanez is smart in how they release the jem, it leaves a lot of room to mod it for yourself. Come to think about it the guitar has no special features (besides looks). It is just a great guitar with some awesome looks...

I would like to see more guitars with toggle switchs for each pickup rather than the 5 way switch...I like those better...I piezo would be cool too...but if it came down too it I would keep the jem just they way it is

Passion & Warfare

#5 Post by Passion & Warfare » Wed May 07, 2003 1:44 am

That guitar on the picture isn´t EVO. On the picture it has an 555 neck.

Moderator777

#6 Post by Moderator777 » Wed May 07, 2003 5:14 am

Passion & Warfare wrote:That guitar on the picture isn´t EVO. On the picture it has an 555 neck.
Right - that's a picture of FLO, one of Steve's main touring guitars.

--------------
Dêkuji,

Moderator777
www.vai.com

dex

#7 Post by dex » Wed May 07, 2003 6:19 am

40:1 ratio tuners on a locking nut guitar seems like a pointless thing to do.

Flo has a normal 7V neck on now - that 555 neck with the fretwave mod on was taken off.

ilia

Blue_Powder

#8 Post by Blue_Powder » Wed May 07, 2003 6:57 am

I'd like to see something on the variation of the UV777BK and JEM10; they're both really classy looking guitars and it's a design that could be worked with that may perhaps take some of the stigma out of pulling a guitar like what a JEM typically looks like out at a blues jam.

I'll be the heretic and say I'd like to see something without a floating tremolo or a locking nut on it. Same with the pickups; something a little mellower and all-around than the typical high-output Dimarzios. They make some great vintage pickups to choose from!

How about some nice woods as well? An alder body with a quilted maple cap, natural binding and a clear pickguard. Ebony fretboard with the new "Legacy" logo in abalone at the 12th fret and no fretmarkers. Matching quilted headstock, some locking tuners with abalone-esque tuning keys.

But ditto on the handrest and backstop. Ibanez needs to pony up the dough or work with whoever has the patent and issue those, even if just as an after market add-on.

Junebughunter

#9 Post by Junebughunter » Wed May 07, 2003 11:04 am

When is the next Ibanez anniversary or special date that will possibly cause a limited edition guitar? Anyone have any ideas...

Blue_Powder

#10 Post by Blue_Powder » Wed May 07, 2003 12:47 pm

Junebughunter wrote:When is the next Ibanez anniversary or special date that will possibly cause a limited edition guitar? Anyone have any ideas...
The Universe was up for a ten year and that was let go, I think, due to the Jem 90's that were coming out.

Jems are due for the 20 in a few years.

I don't know if they'll do a special run any time soon though. In one sense they're due for one; it's been awhile since the 2K DNAs. On the other hand Ibanez doesn't get much out of a small run of instruments. Most of them acrue their value after a bit of time. I'd say that they probably did better fiscally on the GRX series as a whole than what they cleared on the 2KDNA. The limiteds are for the fans, but there's still plenty available...albeit for a pretty penny.

The UVs are ripe for something though. Although, the hard part in my mind is improving upon the UV777BK which is nearly the perfect instrument.

earthman
Newcomer

#11 Post by earthman » Thu May 08, 2003 12:49 pm

Reverse headstock.

think about it - a jem with a reverse headstock???

too cool for school... ;-)

--c.

Word

#12 Post by Word » Thu May 08, 2003 1:32 pm

Reverse headstock? How about a Jem with painted on F-Holes too? Hey! That's pretty freakin' cool idea! The PG-Jem model.

Sparkle blue, pink f-holes, monkey grip, maple board with blue/white disappearing pyramid inlays, hardtail..

They can call them the "Fusion" line and fuse a bunch of different Ibanez models together.. now THAT would be a cool anniversary idea! In my opinion, of course. ;) :)