Boy, you have to love capitalism...

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Breeder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFFvrHHct70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

00:54
Jeries

That seams to be one of the many Chinese factories that build knock-offs.
They actually do, do great work- and they'll build you ANYTHING you can imagine or tell them to with shipping for $400.

And literally for $400 build you a guitar with more inlays on the neck and body than the whole PRS factory.

And all the huge massive chinese factories (like sammick and epiphones) build all the other guitar companies cheap line of guitars.
MikeB7070

I'm conflicted about that. While it's nice to be able afford and nicely built guitar, and in fact many of them are, it saddens me to know that overseas workers pump this stuff out for very little money, unsafe working conditions and long hours. Is it really worth it to feed the West's insatiable desire for cheap crap?

Same thing happened to bicycles. Nearly every bike manufacture has to produce their product in China. Generally, unless you paid over $3k for your bike, it was made in a similar factory.

On the flip side, my favorite guitars have been the cheaper ones.
Jeries

I don't think all of them have horrible working condition and crazy hours...

and the pay probably does suck- but its not as bad as Nike charging $150 for a 25c pair of shoes- if only the 8 year olds that made them knew how much we pay for them.

and it's not so much 'cheap crap' as it is that we inflate crap massively.
Gibson charges $3000 for a Les Paul- it costs maybe $400 to produce made in the USA- and although its all hand made- its still a MASS PRODUCTION job... if you've ever been to the Gibson factory its crazy.

American strats are $1000 and probably cost maybe 2-350 to make, tops.

and fender still makes over seas guitars that they charge almost $1000 for here and there- like the new jaguars and stuff like that.
MikeB7070

Jeries wrote:I don't think all of them have horrible working condition and crazy hours...

and the pay probably does suck- but its not as bad as Nike charging $150 for a 25c pair of shoes- if only the 8 year olds that made them knew how much we pay for them.

and it's not so much 'cheap crap' as it is that we inflate crap massively.
Gibson charges $3000 for a Les Paul- it costs maybe $400 to produce made in the USA- and although its all hand made- its still a MASS PRODUCTION job... if you've ever been to the Gibson factory its crazy.

American strats are $1000 and probably cost maybe 2-350 to make, tops.

and fender still makes over seas guitars that they charge almost $1000 for here and there- like the new jaguars and stuff like that.
I said that many of the chinese guitars are very high quality, which is very true. Some are junk.

I've owned a couple of Gibsons, but realize they are all made at a factory. They charge 3k because people buy it. Is Steve's Jem really worth $2600? No, but people will pay it. That's capitalism. The other issue is outsourced labor to countries with dodgy environmental and labor standards, and we clamor over each other to buy the stuff.

I'm sure all that wood for those bodies and necks came from sustainable forests, carefully managed for future generations.....not.

I like cheap guitars, but don't like the consequences.
Patill

Jeries wrote: They actually do, do great work-

sorry, but I can absolutely not second that. Those guitars really suck ass....of course they are cheap and a JEM or a Gibson costs a lot more (and a lot more than production costs), but you will realize a diffrence, that will make you own this guitar you whole life and not throw it into trash after 2 years.

My experience with such guitars. I´ve never had a knockoff JEM or so in my hands, but serious chinese production guitars ready to start a new company. Several...
Jeries

Epiphone is currently all made in china- and they sell millions of them in the US from $200-800 a pop.... they've even made in the same factories as that make knock off guitars.

and half the lower end guitars out there are made by these chinese companies- all of them, fender, ibanez- use them to make lower end guitars...

and i'm pretty sure most of the parts on a JEM come from China, except the pickups.
Patill

I´m not talking about common guitar factories as Gibson and Ibanez, who move their work to china, I´m talking about chinese raised guitar factories. Most of them don´t have any clue what they´re doing...
Jeries

I'm telling you- i own one and they're putting together pretty good guitars- much better than the crap made elsewhere

i will tell you the electronics are garbage and all need to be replaced/rewired. other than that- they're built as good if not better than anything else.

plus they'll build anything you can imagine for $400.
prman

It´s an obvious fact that buying a "brand" guitar will cost you more than buying guitar made by a less known manufacturer. But does price guarantee quality? No. If you have experience with guitars and decent ears (and no respect for headstocks) you can score a decent instrument for lower cost. BUT there is a reason why handmade (read: CNC carved, hand finished) instruments cost more: they are just better. The tone, sustain, finish, durability...

Don´t get me wrong. I´ve had many "budget" instruments and while they all have served their purpose and been more or less "good enough" instruments, in time, they all have been replaced by custom instruments.