Ibanez Universe 20th Swirl Reissue

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
tk777

Why are the new 20th Anniversary Universe guitars so expensive? They cost more than the Jem 20th and you would think a lot more work goes into them than the swirl universe. I mean come on, over £7000 here in the UK for a 20th Universe. What the fuck are Ibanez playing at ? I know they are rare but £7000 could get me a private stock prs made out of more exotic woods and be of a build quality. I am not slagging off Ibanez for what they are. I play Ibanez guitars and I own a Jem and a Universe. But I just think its a real shame that these are over £7000, it gives nobody a chance to get one, especially when there is supposedly only 3 coming to the UK.

Its daylight robbery. :x
EyE

I'm sure prices will drop eventually. Just look at the Jem20th. Some guitar shops here in Holland dropped there prices with 2 or 3K.
bennyvx78

There's a Ibanez Jem10th for sale for 2500,- euro's on marktplaats.nl. Isn't that a
'bit' to much??
Patill

as long as there are enough (stupid) people to buy that stuff, Ibanez will be fine. It seems the 20th did go well for its price, so they raised it. I would also do so, it´s business.

The worth of something is as high as people are willing to pay for it.
EyE

Patill wrote:as long as there are enough (stupid) people to buy that stuff, Ibanez will be fine.
Why is it that you label them as "stupid"? Just because they can afford it or saved up there hard earned money for it? Let them be! If that or whatever reason should make you jealous about it doesn't makes them stupid.

I think Ibanez sets these prices because they are Limited editions. And since Limited edtions are always "hard to get" that's a price you have to pay. And what's wrong with making a buck? Isn't that what makes it a business? You said that your self. If you would sell an Limited edition item wouldn't you want to make some money from it?
If you realy think about it then the problem hasn't never been the price, but people being more and more greedy in wanting too much material stuff.
Even if they haven't got the funds for it. We need to look more in our selfs and realize what's realy important.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

EyE wrote:
Patill wrote:as long as there are enough (stupid) people to buy that stuff, Ibanez will be fine.
Why is it that you label them as "stupid"? Just because they can afford it or saved up there hard earned money for it? Let them be! If that or whatever reason should make you jealous about it doesn't makes them stupid.

I think Ibanez sets these prices because they are Limited editions. And since Limited edtions are always "hard to get" that's a price you have to pay. And what's wrong with making a buck? Isn't that what makes it a business? You said that your self. If you would sell an Limited edition item wouldn't you want to make some money from it?
If you realy think about it then the problem hasn't never been the price, but people being more and more greedy in wanting too much material stuff.
Even if they haven't got the funds for it. We need to look more in our selfs and realize what's realy important.
Finally a balanced and intelligent point of view! Thank you!

And for the rest of you complaining: instead of whining on the internet, use the time to work hard and earn the money to buy the guitar of your dreams. When you reach this achievement, the guitar becomes even more precious because you worked so hard to afford it. Why the fuck should it be cheap? Just to please your wallet or your sense of entitlement?

If you want to complain about the prices of guitars, go visit a vintage Gibson forum and see how quick you get laughed out of there...

Mikey
Patill

EyE wrote: Why is it that you label them as "stupid"? Just because they can afford it or saved up there hard earned money for it? Let them be! If that or whatever reason should make you jealous about it doesn't makes them stupid.
I said so because the worth of the guitar is way cheaper, and I mean way cheaper. It also has 6 strings (or 7 strings in this case) and is like every other guitar, so the price is set only to make money and claim it from people. I told you, I would maybe do the same, I don´t know. There is no reason why Ibanez should stop that if they sell good. But I´m not jealous. It´s just the thought that they want £5000 (in the case of tk777) for the swirl paint job. That can only be a bad joke, but as I said above, things are only worth what the are paid for.

There is a certain boarder that can be crossed, of course the JEM does also have a little extra money on it because it says Vai, just as a JS, KH or whatever endorser guitar. But raising the price like that is just too obvious on what this is going at. Actually it´s cool to have limited stuff and so, it makes a company interesting and you might wanna get you one of these, but when I see avidity I´d rather not.

BTW, tk777, if you go to thomann.de you´ll find that Universe for 5145 GBP. The normal one is for 1837 GBP, so I´d think about it a lot.
Mikey wrote: And for the rest of you complaining: instead of whining on the internet, use the time to work hard and earn the money to buy the guitar of your dreams. When you reach this achievement, the guitar becomes even more precious because you worked so hard to afford it. Why the fuck should it be cheap? Just to please your wallet or your sense of entitlement?
very nice advice, thank you. You are right with guitars being more precious when you worked hard for them, but I can tell you why the fuck it should be cheaper. Because a simple paintjob is the fuck not worth that money. Actually what they do is please their wallet, so don´t judge us :).
tk777

And for the rest of you complaining: instead of whining on the internet, use the time to work hard and earn the money to buy the guitar of your dreams.
I wouldn't. I have a standard universe. I sooner have a second hand original swirl universe that go between £2000 and £3000. I wouldn't pay £5000 for a paint job. I could buy two original swirl universe guitars for the price of the reissue. Haha. It really is a joke but people will buy them and thats their choice.
RAI

If you want to pick it apart, nothing is "worth" what you pay for it.
Everything is marked up at various rates from actual cost, for various reasons.

Either you're willing to pay for it, or you're not.
Just because I cannot afford a Lamborghini, I have no place to complain about their pricing structure.
The cars are most certainly not really worth what they charge, are they?
But if really want one, I better work my ass off to save up the 300 grand needed.
If that will never happen, then I just shut up and head over to Toyota.
It's not the Lambo peoples fault that I don't have the dough...

That's life, and that's all there's to it.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

tk777 wrote:I could buy two original swirl universe guitars for the price of the reissue.
Then do it and STFU.

Mikey
vai.com
bennyvx78

I wish I could go to work but im ...ehhmm..( Jongens, Wat is arbeidsongechikt in het Engels? )
Allthough, I guess there's the right job for everyone.
(No, im not joking)
Last edited by bennyvx78 on Wed May 05, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Patill wrote:very nice advice, thank you. You are right with guitars being more precious when you worked hard for them, but I can tell you why the fuck it should be cheaper. Because a simple paintjob is the fuck not worth that money. Actually what they do is please their wallet, so don´t judge us :).
Since you're the one calling people 'stupid' for buying a certain guitar, why don't you take your own advice and don't judge?

For your information, I'm getting one, so the next time you feel the urge to call me stupid, do it to my face and you'll find my boot neatly logged in your rectum, m'kay pumpkin?

And here's a news flash for you; Ibanez is a commercial company. Not a charity. They make guitars to make a profit. Just like any other company out there.

j
Patill

Jeroen wrote:do it to my face and you'll find my boot neatly logged in your rectum, m'kay pumpkin?
I don´t think so ;). Oh and if I said that to you you´d have propably banned me, but it´s ok, you´re the mod.

Actually it´s kind of funny how the mods react if you critisize Vai products here. You know, you should let people say what they say about this guitar. No one has to shut the fuck up just because the mods think the price is ok....I certainly don´t.

RAI wrote:If you want to pick it apart, nothing is "worth" what you pay for it.
yes, but there is a certain boarder for the price of things, which is subjective, but not that much of a spread over issue. So there are people who say something is too expensive, other people might say it´s not. But we´re coming to a boarder here where many people would say it´s too expensive. As you see, there´s more than one person right now who thinks that his subjective boarder is crossed. If you pay 5000 GBP for a simple paintjob, the first word that comes to my mind is stupid. Call me bullheaded, call me naive, Call me an ass, say you´re gonna smack me up.

Steve has some nice stuff out there, the Jemini, his Legacy, the Wah, the volume pedal, everything well priced and sometimes even very pricey compared to other endorsers. But with this guitar, Ibanez is gonna suck big for me, even if they sell it.
Jeroen wrote: And here's a news flash for you; Ibanez is a commercial company. Not a charity. They make guitars to make a profit. Just like any other company out there.
I wrote just before that it´s their business, maybe you didn´t read it. Still I have my own opinion to this kind of stuff.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Patill wrote: Actually it´s kind of funny how the mods react if you critisize Vai products here.
You were insulting me, by calling me stupid. That's not criticizing a Vai product, that's you being judgmental, condescending and insulting a person.

How do you not get this?

J
Patill

If you pay 5000 GBP for a simple paintjob, the first word that comes to my mind is stupid.
this is what I think about it. You may wanna admit, that I´m not completely wrong if you look at the numbers and compare it with the work done. It´s a paintjob we´re talking about.

And I didn´t call you stupid in person.