My Jem is busted

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
KeithVai

Help if anyone can!

I was rocking a bit too hard on my Jem and the floating bridge popped right out of the cavity, i crapped myself.

So... i handed it into a local tech who managed to get it back into place balanced etc but he said that it was a nightmare getting to stay in tune, so he ordered new posts that go into the body that the trem floats on and replaced the old springs too and added a 3rd one. Its still not staying in tune so i don't know what else to do??

Do any of you geniuses know how to get it back to its former self? Its got to the point that im always using my Sambora Strat as the Jem just doesn't stay in tune. Should i get a new EdgePro or what?

Cheers people!!

Keith
Stephen Brown

What string gauge are you using?
How high is your action?
How many string winds are aound the tuning pegs?
What angle is the trem set at?
Neck bow's in which direction?
How many springs are being used?
Trem screws that are embedded in the wood. How far are they in or out? Any give?
Locking nut screws worn or a secured lock down?
Trem locking blocks secure?
What tuning are you using?
What condition is the trem knife edge on the posts? Clean or damaged?
Which string/strings un-tune first?

Obvoiusly you are facing an inconsitancy somewhere along the line. Maybe this list can help narrow down the field a bit.
Jeries

I think what needs to be done is... the holes the bridge posts go thru need to be filled, and redrilled and the bridge reinstalled

you need to find FENDER AMERICAN STRAT BLACK springs and get 3 of them and have those installed in the guitar
pagliai

Yes i agree with both of us two ,and i wanna add another simple but dangerous thing.
you can take away the stud inserts and you can put ajust a little little superglue in hole ,just a little ,little little 1 or 2 drops,then you'll put the inserts inside the hole and push for 10/20 seconds.......it is dangerous........and out of the rules ...but....it works.

Best solution is ,fill the holes and redrill them

don't worry i had your problem a lot of time,it is normal and you'll solve it don't worry
Patill

KeithVai wrote:replaced the old springs too and added a 3rd one
there you go. 2 springs only??? Of course it will pop out with those springs.

Did he change the trem, too? If not, that´s one of the main problems, and it´s nonsense to order new posts and not a new trem with it.

You could get a tremsetter.
senorchristoph
Newcomer

if you're having troubles with your posts I don't see to much you can do. what you can do and this has helped with my Ibanez jem 7DBK seeing as how nobody could help me is, toothpicks. place a few toothpicks inside the post. this will tighten the surrounding area and make sure that your post is secure and not going anywhere. when i did mine I had to do light hammering to the top of the post but since I did that I have had absolutely zero problems. go ahead and give it a try.
Patill

senorchristoph wrote:if you're having troubles with your posts I don't see to much you can do.

He didn´t say he had problems with his posts...he only said it´s the only thing that has been changed. Which is wrong...
pipowicz

First thing i would try before buying new parts is to make a setup like described at Ibanezrules.com in the tech section.
Normally it shouldn't be a problem if the trem pops out, so i think it's the setup. I think there works a bunch of guys in music stores who don't no exactly how to get a good setup with a floating trem.
fyrie

I wonder if the knife edges became damaged. The guide on ibanezrules details how to refile them.
Patill

fyrie wrote:I wonder if the knife edges became damaged. The guide on ibanezrules details how to refile them.

:x what I said...

:)