The new hard tail Jem

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Patill

here in germany the PGM301 isn´t available anymore, wherever you go. But it was once...so maybe it´s really discontinued. Of course I hope it´s not!!!!!!!

Maybe it´s not popular enough around here. But even that would be strange...
lydian2000

Jem-7vwh-agg wrote:I like the logo they made(but i wouldn't want it on my guitar) lol
:!:
GYiakoumi

I think it would have been cool if the new hard tail Jem had a TT (True Temperament) neck, Just my thoughts though.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Patill

Actually no ;).

Ibanez wouldn´t do this. They would have to ship the necks to Sweden or wherever it was made and back. Plus pay for the treatment. Also, I don´t think the True Temperment Factory is big enough to manufacture all those guitars.

A Piezosystem would have been very cool I think. If it is a HardTail (I´m still waiting for a Floyd Rose with Piezo, but that seems to last 100 years........), you can easily go for Piezo. But this is just a guitar, like every guitar else out there. I mean what´s the benefit? No specials at all (if you call a floating Trem a special).

Or the benefits have not been released yet.....
TheArchitect

fretboardmagic wrote:I say, if it's a JEM, keep it a JEM.
That means make it innovative and different.
If it's a hard tail, fine. But at least make some improvements on what's already out there.
And, for future reference, Ibanez, DON'T PUT BIG CHEEZY DECALS ON THE BODY OF A GUITAR THAT YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO TAKE SERIOUSLY.

Here's my thought:

Give it the sustainer.
That that would up the innovation of it and maybe make it somewhat desirable.
That bridge is actually pretty damn innovative. No complaints here in that front. The decal sucks though.

I think its interesting that the Breed pickups are used. Is steve using that pickup in any of guitars anymore?
RAI

There was word that Steve was working with Ibanez on a new bridge.
I always assumed "trem", but maybe I was wrong.
Is this a new bridge, not being used on any other models yet?

This bridge does look pretty sweet, and makes the bridge on my Strat look like a medieval torture instrument...
notavirtuoso

I read on a forum somewhere that it was introduced last year on something. I don't remember what the something was though. Or where I read it.

Edit: I found it. Actually, it was on the forum you linked to about the AT100 in the Timmons thread.
Some dude on that forum wrote:It's the new 'Tight-end' bridge that came about on the FR series last year. My FR1620 is great but I find the bridge makes your strings feel really light so I had to up a gauge comared to my RG3120F. Sure it'll sell well as the FR's are great to play.
GuitarStrings

I really love this guitar... MINUS THE DECAL.

I mean, not only is this TERRIBLY looking...

... one of the reasons why JEM is such a commercially successful guitar is that although we all associate this model to Steve Vai, it doesn't have Vai's name on it, unlike many other signature guitars from other brands... ... not until this one. This one does have Vai's name on it, and not in a sober(nor good-looking) way.

What are people at Ibanez thinking? The first time I saw it on a non-official website I thought it was photoshopped by some fan... and even as an amateurish photoshop work, I disliked it.

:(

ps: don't get me wrong I have TOO many Ibanezs to hate them. Plus tastes are tastes, some people might like it anyways.

fretboardmagic wrote:Yes, but it's not different enough.
When the JEM first came out, there was nothing even remotely like it.
This bridge is a trivial thing to put the JEM seal on. Just release a new series of RG's with hard tails and use this bridge. Don't sacrifice the reputation of the JEM series just to introduce a slight innovation in hard-tail bridge design.

I'm not a fan of this guitar, and I don't know if I ever will be.
Remember that champagne-gold JS model with "fixed-edge" blocking system? That guitar had fixed bridge yet blocked at the headstock... people were starting saying that people at Ibanez are strange...
... well MANY people bought that guitar. :)

Last edited by GuitarStrings on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Brown

:roll:
Patill

RAI wrote: It started with the Legacy getting the "VAI" logo, and ever since it has started to appear everywhere (like on the Jemini).
And now the JEM....
This is also something I´m worried about...I hope Steve keeps his feet on the ground with everything. A lot of musicians start to look after other things than music, like the Stones or Metallica (they were cool once...). I also prefer things (if it´s amps or guitars or pedals), that don´t have a name written on it. Even if it´s a Signature pedal, a small sign would be enough ;). People would know anway.

I mean everybody says "Be unique" and stuff, but with that I ,for myself, feel a little bit more like a copy...that´s why I didn´t buy the Jemini yet, and I´m thinking if I even should :(.

+1 for no (big) Logos on Vai-Products :P

Of course it´s up to Steve, and it´s no offense!!!!!!
Desert_Runner

Patill wrote:+1 for no (big) Logos on Vai-Products :P
+2
al

i hate the decal of an artists name on an insturment.. well when its done big somewhere, even the name on the fret markings, hate it...

but the decal on the new model is a neddy no no, the JS fixed brigde isnt bad, its like a normal js with a fixed bridge, no decal!
SRVoodoo

fretboardmagic wrote:Yes, but it's not different enough.
When the JEM first came out, there was nothing even remotely like it.
This bridge is a trivial thing to put the JEM seal on. Just release a new series of RG's with hard tails and use this bridge. Don't sacrifice the reputation of the JEM series just to introduce a slight innovation in hard-tail bridge design.

I'm not a fan of this guitar, and I don't know if I ever will be.
+1

The ONLY thing I can see being useful about this guitar is that you can tune quickly to 'non-standard' tunings without all the bridge set-up. ...Still shouldn't be called a Jem.
Weak IMHO. :roll:
miker

I thought Steve was going to work on a Jem that could go from trem to fixed mode... Flip a bar or something and "voila" it's fixed bridge... flip it again and it's a floating bridge.

At least that is what I gathered from one of Steve's 2005 comments:
"The new Jems will probably come with a hard trem setter that will keep the guitar from going sharp all together if that's what one wanted."

I don't know what happened to that idea.
cosmic ape

miker wrote:I thought Steve was going to work on a Jem that could go from trem to fixed mode... Flip a bar or something and "voila" it's fixed bridge... flip it again and it's a floating bridge.

At least that is what I gathered from one of Steve's 2005 comments:
"The new Jems will probably come with a hard trem setter that will keep the guitar from going sharp all together if that's what one wanted."

I don't know what happened to that idea.
yeah, that would have been the way to go... BTW, the JS fixed was pretty cool looking... I would not had bought it myself, but it was pretty cool...

Ibanez comes up with shit like this, but they won't build decent left handed guitars... Nice...

Edit: by shit I mean decals on a guitar...