The new hard tail Jem

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
nato101010

[quote="fretboardmagic"]I say, if it's a JEM, keep it a JEM.
That means make it innovative and different.
If it's a hard tail, fine. But at least make some improvements on what's already out there.
And, for future reference, Ibanez, DON'T PUT BIG CHEEZY DECALS ON THE BODY OF A GUITAR THAT YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO TAKE SERIOUSLY.[/quote]

Here's my thought:

Give it the sustainer.
That that would up the innovation of it and maybe make it somewhat desirable.[/quote]

Couldn't have said that better myself. I read that and went "Whoa! Exactly!"
lydian2000

FRETPICK wrote:I like the design. :guitar
Was that... ironic?

:?:
Stephen Brown

FRETPICK wrote:I like the design. :guitar New trem, no locking nut, graphic & symbol.
fretboardmagic wrote: Um.....
It's not a trem.
It's a hard tail.
Meaning it has no trem.
Meaning it's a hard tail.
I know but I still like the new trem/ ok. hard tail.

The Tight-End bridge integrates every aspect of the bridge design in rigidness and accuracy. Saddles are firmly locked onto the base plate for maximum string vibration, and remain perfectly linear during intonation adjustment for the most accurate set up. The saddle height can be adjusted individually by one screw. Also, the top side of the bridge is smooth finished. So if you play hard, the Tight-End bridge will forgive you and your hands.
------------------------

It's like a modern take on a classic design. :guitar
fretboardmagic

Yes, but it's not different enough.
When the JEM first came out, there was nothing even remotely like it.
This bridge is a trivial thing to put the JEM seal on. Just release a new series of RG's with hard tails and use this bridge. Don't sacrifice the reputation of the JEM series just to introduce a slight innovation in hard-tail bridge design.

I'm not a fan of this guitar, and I don't know if I ever will be.
Jemfever

It's really not a joke :cry:

This thing is so ugly and makes no sense to me.
A fixed bridge on a JEM, why, why ?!

I just don't see the point...
On the other hand, we are all free to choose, whether we buy it or not.
RAI

It's just too plain looking (with the exception of that gaudy logo).
At least the 77V had the body binding on it.

And I guess that Steve has revised his view about not having his name on the JEM.
That must be part of the general branding that has been going on.
It started with the Legacy getting the "VAI" logo, and ever since it has started to appear everywhere (like on the Jemini).
And now the JEM....

How unfortunate.
Last edited by RAI on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Brown

In a true cup of tea Brit voice.

I think it's alright myself.

What were you guys expecting? Bells & whistles?
llamahead

fretpick is right. that's what was promised

thinking about it for a bit longer it's just an RG with a handle, pickups, and that new bridge. which is probably gonna show up on the RGs :?
j.arledge

they can just charge more for it if they put steve's name on it.

i would LMAO if it was priced more then 1500 and i can bet it is going to be
guitarmattms

maybe steve is feeling the economic recession too...

At first I like it but more and more. I completly agree with you guys. What they should do is make it a custom item. Let the costumer be able to remove stickers/decals, add on a TT Neck, sustainer what not. Eh, sorry steve. :(
Patill

fretboardmagic wrote: Give it the sustainer.
That that would up the innovation of it and maybe make it somewhat desirable.
Without a Floyd Rose? No! :)

I also think the logo is a little bit over the top. A diffrent design would be better, not only "stupid" black. At least it is possible to change the design, even if the guitar was in production, in case nobody likes it. I really wonder what a Hard Tail JEM should be good for, I really do, and I´m curious!
Right now, I´m thinking to myself "Who would buy a JEM if he was no Steve Vai fan?". I think you can answer this question with "almost nobody". I wouldn´t play a signature guitar if there´s others just as good as it and I´m not really interested in this guy at all. And then I think to myself "What person, that is a Steve Vai fan would go for a Hard Tail JEM?". I mean something has to happen. What´s Steve going to do with it? Are the frets of his homegrown tree in his yard? Are the pickups handwired by Tony Blair? What could be so special about a Hard Tail version of a Signature guitar, that usually has a whammy bar that is so excessively used? There must be something. There has always been a reason for buying Vai-Products :P. But since now, I have to admit, it´s just a Hard Tail JEM.....

No Piezo :(.
lydian2000

FRETPICK wrote:What were you guys expecting? Bells & whistles?
No, but certainly not an ugly cheap-looking decal.

:peace
al

the decal completly ruins it and looks wonky
resha

I don't like it (personal taste).

But I'm curious to go out and try it to see how the fixed bridge influences the overall sound. This is one of the main aspects why I'm not playing my jem anymore, it just does not give me that particular feeling I get from other guitars.

So I look forward to know what Steve created with this guitar (I mean... if it's out we will see some kind of innovations in Steve's music right?!).

I just wait and see (hey, Steve's always miles ahead, so... :wink: )
7mixeduplydian7

Maybe a sustainer and fretboard lights would be cool... maybe gibson autotuners as well for alternate tunings and maybe an Eventide Harmonizer built into the body. Or maybe... we have all been spoiled by the Jems of the past because they were freaking over the top fantastic and this one is kinda... meh