Lefties Roll Call - This Is A Guitar Related Thread

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Willie

Could all the lefty axe masters on here, please post a reply to show they are here? :)

I'm looking to do some research and it is specificly for lefty guitarists :)

Willie
Last edited by Willie on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostwardo

I'm a lefty...... but I play like a righty.......
Ultraviolet

i use a paintbrush righty
I write penmanship lefty,
I play guitar righty
I cut w scissors righty
I bat lefty
I throw righty
I golf Lefty

i am all mixed up ;)
lol
Willie

good grief, I meant to say for lefty guitarists :) lol

Although in saying that, righty axe masters are cool too 8)

Willie
Ultraviolet

correction,...
Paintbrush lefty, lol
being that I golf lefty,
and bat lefty,
and write lefty,
and play hockey lefty,
one would think I should play lefty,...? no?
I know that's what i was traditionally designed to do,
but I taught myself righty when I got my first electric, and peavey 8 inch rage 108 on my 11th birthday,
and now i'm gonna be 28 in Dec.

Born a lefty all around,
taught myself righty as I found my sound lol ;)
In my case, I taught myself against what i was made to play with I guess. but I never knew that lol ;)

GO LEFTYS!!!
they are my ROOTS, i'm just better on the other side I guess. :)
don't hate me guys....lol didn't know what i was doing, and now I do,..but it's too late lol
Willie

I wouldn't worry about being a righty guitarist, if it works better for you, then more power to you :)

Willie
Ultraviolet

You Rock Willie!! :) :headbang :guitar :peace
Piss or Kiss on the Blarney Stone for me man
you are a cool dude.
Thank you,
it's soo nice to talk with people on here who are non-judgemantal,..and full of confidence and knoweledge.
That is what this site is all about in Steve's Light,
Good Vibes all around.

Peace to you my friend, and may your playing, bring you joy of heart, and more confidence to pursue your own articulation.
for peace of mind, peace of Heart, and the gathering of positive energy for all us players, and Steve Lovers alike ;)

thanks again Willie of the Ireland place ;)
SoundCurrents32

Lefty here - although I write, throw a ball etc right-handed, I play guitar & eat left handed, and wear my watch on my right wrist, etc. I'm a bit of both, but I consider myself a lefty because that's how I play the guitar! :)
Willie

Same here, I used to play a little baseball during summer months as a kid and 'm still very much a right handed pitcher and the same with with darts, but at the same time, I shoot left handed at pool and archery, I play guitar left handed and I write left handed :) lol

It's kinda like making the best of both at different times :) lol

I'm trying to find out the number of lefty guitarists on here and on other sites because I have opened up my own guitar forum that is especialy for lefty guitarists/bass/banjo/mandolin players, that is also set to work in conjunction with a british guitar company, Red Plant Guitars, who specialize in their own brand of lefty only guitars, like flying V's, Les Paul's, Strats/Tele's, super strats, as well as a good range of acoustic and bass guitars, but on top of that, they are the ONLY company to have a 5x neck lefty guitar in the UK :)

Another good thing is, that Red Planet Guitars have got a section on my forum, so that any members who have some ideas for new production or custom models, can post up their ideas and the company will do their best to have that model available, either as a custom and/or a production model :)

If there are any lefty players who would like the link to the forums I have set up, then feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you the link :)

I'll be adding a links section and vai.com will most definitely be added also and so, I'm not looking to take any members away from this site, just merely offering all the lefties another place to chat :)

Willie
Willie

Ultraviolet wrote:You Rock Willie!! :) :headbang :guitar :peace
Piss or Kiss on the Blarney Stone for me man
you are a cool dude.
Thank you,
it's soo nice to talk with people on here who are non-judgemantal,..and full of confidence and knoweledge.
That is what this site is all about in Steve's Light,
Good Vibes all around.

Peace to you my friend, and may your playing, bring you joy of heart, and more confidence to pursue your own articulation.
for peace of mind, peace of Heart, and the gathering of positive energy for all us players, and Steve Lovers alike ;)

thanks again Willie of the Ireland place ;)
LMAO :lol: No worries man, and the same for you too buddy :)

Take good care man and keep on rockin :guitar :headbang 8) :peace

Later dude 8)

Willie
Logic

I always find myself stirring this pot.
In my most humble opinion, guitars, as with all musical instruments are neither right or left handed. Sorry Jemgirl, They are ambidextrous in nature.
While tis true that preference has created a market for mirror guitars, I have even seen a reverse piano, Most left handed people of all ilk's play standard instruments. If memory serves, It was in the 85% tile of left handed's playing standard guitars.
Did research, I did. I have no problem with anyone playing anyway they want mind you. Just was interested. Irony is that left handed people seem to be more musically inclined that right handed's are. Only ones in their right mind! Also, as a right handed person, I would have preferred more dexterity in fretting. Logically, right handed people should be playing reversed guitars. To each their own though. As long as they play. One guy lost his hands in a terrible accident and learned to play with his feet! The moral is to keep playing. however you want.
al

Logic wrote:I always find myself stirring this pot.
In my most humble opinion, guitars, as with all musical instruments are neither right or left handed. Sorry Jemgirl, They are ambidextrous in nature.
While tis true that preference has created a market for mirror guitars, I have even seen a reverse piano, Most left handed people of all ilk's play standard instruments. If memory serves, It was in the 85% tile of left handed's playing standard guitars.
Did research, I did. I have no problem with anyone playing anyway they want mind you. Just was interested. Irony is that left handed people seem to be more musically inclined that right handed's are. Only ones in their right mind! Also, as a right handed person, I would have preferred more dexterity in fretting. Logically, right handed people should be playing reversed guitars. To each their own though. As long as they play. One guy lost his hands in a terrible accident and learned to play with his feet! The moral is to keep playing. however you want.

lol I don't agree with that highlighted bit at all

hi5
Logic

Mr. brother al,
Feel free to elaborate...
With examples.. :)
guitarmattms

Hey,

I'm a lefty as well but I play right hand. My first teacher told me that I should learn to play as a righty. After my teacher left to go back to school. I asked my new teacher and he told me to continue playing right hand. He said that lefties have an advantage cause that's the hand we are used to using... I guess. Anyway... Jimi Hendrix was the only left handed guitar player I know of... Are there any more?

Also, I have to share this with everyone. My friend's grandpa gave me this little plaque with a saying on it...

It's... "If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body. Then only left-handed people are in their right minds."

P.S.

I think this is cool for me... I'm a lefty so was Jimi. My b-day is 1-26 which is the same day as EVH... I started playing when I was 13 and i might be wrong but I think Jimi starting playing when he was 13.
al

yeah there was Jimi, paul Mc Cartney, Kurt cobain

thers 3 off the top of my head, and kinda big names regarding what they done i guess...

and i think people can play more natural a certain way, just like being a left footed football player, or a right handed tennis player, it just feels more natural a certain way for different people, same for guitars

when i went into get my first guitar knowing absolutly nothing about them, i picked up a guitar and held it lefty, the dude says nono ur holding it wrong turn it around, so i tried that and it felt god awfull and completly unatural

i wudnt have it any other way, i cant even fret a guitar properly playing right handed

it shudnt matter about having a disadvantage about a choice of guitars or whatever nonsence people tell guitarists starting off left handed, play whatever way feels natural

+ im right handed and play left