Vibration on 12th fret?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
ibzguitarist

Hey guys, for some reason, my guitar (RG1570) always seems to make a weird vibration and noise every time I play around the 12th fret on the high E string. Not just the high E string, but around that pitch on the first 2-3 strings. I have a sound sample to send if needed but it kind of sounds like a dimmer volume version of hitting the body of a guitar with a floyd rose trem. I listened to see where it came from and it seemed like the end of the neck or the neck pickup, hitting and moving the pickup didn't do anything so I was wondering what it could possibly be. Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so, how was it solved? This guitar makes the strangest noises ever.. haha.
Big Bad Bill

Could be your trem springs ringing in sympathy with the strings. Try damping the springs in the recess and see if this stops the problem. If so, pack the recess with a piece of cloth or similar
ibzguitarist

Ah, I also saw this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnAbPrmJNA

Would that work in my situation?
Big Bad Bill

ibzguitarist wrote:Ah, I also saw this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnAbPrmJNA

Would that work in my situation?
There's only one way to find out!
Azrael

When I get buzzing on my upper frets, it's usually because I set the action a little too low. Then again, my guitar is strings-through-body. I'm not sure how it would work with a trem system.
Satchurator
Newcomer

Azrael's right, try changing the action!
GuitarBizarre

The sound he described isnt fret buzz, I have the same thing on my S. Its mechanical parts resonating. There are a number of fixes. The simplest is to pack the trem with tissue paper. THe second is to take thick goop like vaseline ans coat the springs with it to stop sympathetic vibrations.

Theres also a method where you roll up some paper as tightly as possible then cut it to length and slot it into the spring itself, where it unravels slightly and stops the resonance.
Big Bad Bill

GuitarBizarre wrote:The sound he described isnt fret buzz, I have the same thing on my S. Its mechanical parts resonating.
Yeah, it does sound like that. My Steinberger copy does this from time to time and when played unamplified it sounds like it had distortion added-its cool!