Ibanez and Endorsments

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Mr. Supertron

Ibanez and Endorsments

#1 Post by Mr. Supertron » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:41 pm

I really like Ibanez guitars, I play my S470 everyday and love it to death.
However I watch a lot of videos and a lot of prfessional players with endorsements are using every brand but Ibanez. They use Deans, ESP's Schecters. I don't mind Schecters pretty good, ESP's are ok and Deans in my opinion suck. All of them start using Ibanez but switch. They obviously started with Ibanez because they are good.
I met Chris from In This Moment and asked him why he swtiched and he said because Ibanez have crappy endorsements. He uses Schecter guitars which in my mind are pretty good.
It disappoints me because Ibanez makes the better of the guitars most of the time.
If any of you had the chance to endorse a guitar, would you stick with the guitars you truly like or would you go where the money was.
Also would you not endorse a guitar brand so you could use any brand you wanted?

llamahead

#2 Post by llamahead » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:09 pm

idk. . . . i would use the other brand guitar and beat the crap out of it. but my RG is right around here <3 forever

i'd prolly stick with ibanez, even if i got the same guitar a now have

Surfingalien

#3 Post by Surfingalien » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:04 pm

i would endorse charvel :P

TheRocKsTaR777

#4 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:32 pm

i'd go with the company if they made the guitar that I wanted to every spec that I want.Otherwise they could go screw themselves.If im gonna play another guitar that isnt an ibanez it better damn feel and play well.No point in going where the moneys at if the damn thing wont be able to truely showcase your abilities..with that said..if they comply with this i'd play their guitars live,but have my stash of ibanez and record with ibanez.hA!

Surtr

#5 Post by Surtr » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:45 pm

The guitar brand that I love is Jackson and I would defenetely stick with it.

GuitarBizarre

#6 Post by GuitarBizarre » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Ibanez dont really do endorsement deals, they're very much a players brand, whereas other companies like PRS gibson or Dean, will latch onto any 'new thing' and endorse it like hell to get the brand recognition.

Of course, that does give us situations like having 47 different Dimebag guitars from one manufacturer in one year.

FORTY FUCKING SEVEN.

FOUR. SEVEN.

HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DO YOU NEED TO SLAP HIS NAME ON SOMETHING?[/b]

theriddler14

#7 Post by theriddler14 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:28 pm

In Dime's defense he and the others saved metal from doom, but back on the subject i see allot of people with Ibanez's . Limp Bizkit and korn mainly but i'll come up with some others later

notavirtuoso

#8 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Personally, I don't think I could endorse any one guitar manufacturer. I like to have a lot of options. If I had to, I'd probably pick Ibanez because they are good quality and have so many different styles of guitars I could pretty well have whatever I wanted, one way or another. Of course I have to admit, if I were a struggling up and coming musician and a company offered me free guitars it would be really hard to turn that down. Equipment costs a lot of money and any help would be appreciated I'm certain. I imagine many "endorsees" at the lower levels play their particular brands out of financial necessity rather than preference. I could very well be wrong though.

Jeries

#9 Post by Jeries » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:42 pm

I think it has more to do with the player than the company having a crappy endorsement...

Mike Portnoy has an insane endorsement with all his drum stuff, (FAQ's of his sie has a lot of info on it)
However my old drummer had a pearl endorsement and it only got him things at cost (which was more expensive than me getting things at cost at guitar center)

Vai has much better ibanez endorsements than any crappy ozzfest second stage band guitarist playing an RG...

I hate when people stamp their name on stuff they dont use too... Like the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah, (he's dead and when he was alive used vox)

I currently use Ibanez guitars... i used ESP's as my main guitars for a while but they company went to shit after a few things (high prices/lower quality, and putting LTD on everything with nothing ESP from around 2000-2004ish)

I've passed up many endorsements,
i guess the reason is i found got offered a deal that is better than my ability to already get guitars at cost and the ability to use any guitar i want.

But anyway as of now i stand by my Ibanez RG's

(although i sometimes miss my old M-III ESP custom shops)

Guitarmiester

#10 Post by Guitarmiester » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:12 pm

notavirtuoso wrote: Of course I have to admit, if I were a struggling up and coming musician and a company offered me free guitars it would be really hard to turn that down. Equipment costs a lot of money and any help would be appreciated I'm certain. I imagine many "endorsees" at the lower levels play their particular brands out of financial necessity rather than preference. I could very well be wrong though.
That's a common misconception. Having an endorsement does not mean a company is going to give you free gear. Companies go after musicians/bands that made a name for themselves and have a reputation going. They don't get free gear and are not paid to use a certain brand. Most of the time the company allows them to buy their gear at base cost or offer some sort of discount.

It's all about marketing.

j.arledge

#11 Post by j.arledge » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:52 am

ibanez is very much limited on what they let thier artists have espeically thier smaller/less known endorsees .

there are 3 levels of endorsment , all vary a little but it boils down to at best (unless your steve vai, joe satriani or paul gilbert ) getting 4 guitars a year .

taken from jemsite.com

Behind the Ibanez Endorser

Ibanez tried to seize the market by using the endorser... and it worked. The endorsees were selected by Chris Kelly, Ibanez Artist Relations wonderkind. It is said that sometimes the other Case Ave. employees gave their opinions on potential endorsees. As you would expect, Chris would go after the Artist with the most record sales, popularity of the guitar magazines, or newcomer poised to be "up and coming" to the industry. History shows that Chris "nailed" a lot of endorsers, bringing them into the Ibanez fold.

The Ibanez endorsers were put into catagories A, B or C. The A-endorser would get 3 or 4 custom guitars a year, almost anything they wanted as long as the guitar had an Ibanez headstock. The B-endorser got 2 guitars a year and would also have their choice of what they wanted. This would include shape and radius of neck, fretwire, type of body wood, pickups and color schemes. The special art stuff would besend to Pamelina or Pedro. The C-endorser would get one guitar per year. It would be a stock guitars from inventory, with their choice of pickups.

Once the artist had the finalized agreement, they would be assigned to one of the Case Ave master builders. The assigned builder and would have a spec sheet to discuss and fill out with the endorser, doing their best to explain the technical things about the guitar. This was said to be a "pretty interesting" experience for the Ibanez shop workers. Most of the endorsers were said to know what they wanted but obviously some did not; making working with those somewhat aking to playing Psychiatrist.

It was estimated that each Case Ave worker was responsible for bulding at least 4 or 5 custom guitars each month. As you could imagine, sometimes it would be a hectic and stressful schedule, as often the endorser's tours and travel would be an obstacle. Once completed, Case Ave workers had the additional responsibiity for guitars maintainance, repaire and setup for the endorser!

Petie

#12 Post by Petie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 pm

I have a Marshall endorsement which means I get anything I want at cost price. I'd love to have an Ibanez endorsement, even if it just means cost price guitars and the ability to officially say I'm an Ibanez endorser. I'm working on it!

teokiatuan

#13 Post by teokiatuan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:18 am

Petie wrote:I have a Marshall endorsement which means I get anything I want at cost price.

:shock: REALLY?

boswell

#14 Post by boswell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:24 am

I can't knock artists for raking in the cash from signature models or getting gear cheap through endorsements, it's hard enough these days to make decent money in the industry.
However I really do despise all the shitty signature model guitars, amps and effects on the market, it seems guitarists have become like the women who buy perfume, bed sheets, make up and other nasty trinkets just because some legend in their own lunch time B list celebrity whose only famous for being famous is in their adverts.
:roll:

Stephen Brown

#15 Post by Stephen Brown » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:15 pm

boswell wrote:I can't knock artists for raking in the cash from signature models or getting gear cheap through endorsements, it's hard enough these days to make decent money in the industry.
However I really do despise all the shitty signature model guitars, amps and effects on the market, it seems guitarists have become like the women who buy perfume, bed sheets, make up and other nasty trinkets just because some legend in their own lunch time B list celebrity whose only famous for being famous is in their adverts.
:roll:
I don't agree with any of that point of view.