Got a new rg350dx - Need help tuning!!!!!!!!!!1

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
theollieb

I got a new rg350dx for xmas and its like heaven but I'm really confused how to tune it. It came tuned and about a helf step below standard tuning, and I tried tuning it up with the tuners on the headstock. WHen I did that, the parts of the E and B string that are on the headstock snapped, but they still work 'cause of the tuner lockers or w/e. I tried tuning by tightening the little thingies on the trem., but they don't go high enough lol. I'm so damn confused and I had no other place to turn to than ma peeps at vai.com.
ClarkyNZ

Ollie, did you loosen the allen keys that lock the strings at the base of the headstock? :shock:

Try this; http://www.guitarists.net/lessons/view.php?id=107
Last edited by ClarkyNZ on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
resha

Relax.

Calm down.

Put your guitar on a desk.

Sit down.

Breathe deep.

Nothing gone wrong with your guitar and everything can be solved.

Have a look here and you'll have your guitar in less than a hour time ( this will take less and less time passing the years, don't worry)

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/

:wink:
Hub

Ouch! But +1 on what resha said! All you need is a new set of strings...
Mr Clark

lolol that was starting off on the wrong foot, you'll get the hang of it, it's just a little frustrating at the start 8)
ibzguitarist

Ya, but no sense of telling him to go to another website when you can simply tell him the answer haha. Your guitar may have come with a pouch of tools, one with the size to fit the allen keys at the start of the neck. Since you broke the strings however, I suggest you go to your local guitar shop and ask them to show you how to change strings on a floyd rose so you understand it the next time. There's too many different ways to do it if you look online and you don't want to get confused. It may cost a little bit of money, mine cost $20 but I learned a lot about my guitar, especially the tremolo system. Good luck! Oh, and according to my local guitar shop, 9 gauge strings are just right, unless you want to play in drop C or something.
another virtuoso

^...jemsite.com is actually a really great site with tons of tutorials and info that's easy and straight forward to follow. no sense in retyping it all when we can just give him a link, ya know? :wink:

the gauge string you use is objective. 9's aren't any better or worse than 10s, etc. Personally i use lights for B and E cause they're the easiest to bend and play for me, but i found you lose too much tone with light gauges when you want to turn up the gain and grind some low notes out. So i use heavies on the E and A, and Mediums on the D and G for a smooth transition between the two. Ernie Ball makes a Hybrid set similar to this, but the gauge changes aren't as dramatic as i'd like them to be. Plus I'm not a huge fan of Ernie Ball. I use D'addario and buy single strings instead of packs so it all costs the same as buying a normal pack. But as you can see, it's all just the personal preference of the player.
Hub

It's so unnecessary to waste your money on going to a guitar tech to have them show you how to change the strings, when everything you'll ever need to know about guitars are on those two websites!

This isn't rocketscience, anyone can do it, if you just take your time and read and learn from ibanezrules and jemsite...

This is just my opinion though :D
Hub

Hey theollieb, guitar back in shape now?
theollieb

Oh thank you SOOOO MUCH guys! I'm gonna get started working on my guitar. I haven't been able to respond for a while, 'cause I'm ADDICTED to guitar hero 3 lol. but thanks much for all your help.
al

My first floating trem string change was a shambles
miker

brother al wrote:My first floating trem string change was a shambles
phffft... I think everyone's is. heh.
Breeder

brother al wrote:My first floating trem string change was a shambles
I actually pulled one pivot screw out of the guitar when I did that for the first time :roll:
Last edited by Breeder on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Clark

i did it with my guitar teacher so i didn't kill my guitar :twisted: