Strings, clean ALL THE TIME, or rusty as hell?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
joebot

I always use coated strings elixir, also I sue string cleaner so my strings stay new looking till they break, I feel it helps my playing. Those glissando's are much easier and just generally legato is more pleasant.

What are your lots axe's like?
Big Bad Bill

I'm with you joebot: Elixir Nanoweb, Fast Fret and every now and then I clean easch string with a Steret Pre-injection alcohol swab (available from chemists). You wouldn't believe how much crub they remove.
joebot

Big Bad Bill wrote:I'm with you joebot: Elixir Nanoweb, Fast Fret and every now and then

rock on brother!!!!!!!!! lol

I clean each string with a Steret Pre-injection alcohol swab (available from chemists). You wouldn't believe how much crub they remove.

never herd of that???, I shall investigate!
Last edited by joebot on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zeds.Ded

i prefer the feeling of the strings when my hand starts to sweat, i used to use fast fret, but i much prefer the sweat :D but the only bad thing is the strings tend to get grubby if a forget to wipe them down after, and it will usually take a while for my hand to start sweating
joebot

What I do is wipe them with the fast fret like hell, then get a really sodden towel and sipte all the fast fret off, so wet that watter actually comes off the guitar.

Not bothered about neck rot, guitar rots, I buy another one!.

Makes the strings feel like new all the time.

I used to like the feeling of just a little bit of build up but I find it servirly impedes your playing, legato and glisses are just awful on crappy strings!
sidedoor charlie

i change strings regularly.(to me)once a month maybe depending on gig schedule but def once a month.i use fast fret spray.

works for me
dohnut

I used to clean my strings with duraglit and wipe off rightaway, I also used to wind enough of the string on the machine head to allow me to release them from the saddle on the LFR and cut them and re-clamp them, especially if I couldn't afford new strings and didn't want to risk them breaking during a gig. Helped to prolong the life of the strings. :)
resha

Clean my strings every time after have played.

I play a lot and they usually don't last more tan 3/4 weeks (on the guitar I use the most, which changes time to time).
joebot

resha wrote:Clean my strings every time after have played.

I play a lot and they usually don't last more tan 3/4 weeks (on the guitar I use the most, which changes time to time).
what strings do you use, I used to get that amount of string life out of my sets till I switched to elixir. Now they don't need changing at all :lol:

The usually fail before they need replacing.
sunai

hmm i guess im the only one among the bunch who uses slinkys, and if i remember right i think resha uses D'addario
Zeds.Ded

im a slinky man too :wink:
joebot

can I ask you slinky guys a question, have you used elixir?, to me all strings are the same, if there not elixir, D'addario and Slinky's have a similar feel, sound and life when compared to elixir?, I can't get my head around why everyone doesn't use elixir?
Big Bad Bill

Elixir strings have a pretty different feel to Slinky's et al. The Goretex coating smooths the wound strings and thus reduces handling noise, and of course they last much longer than non-coated strings. I think people don't use them because of the expense. They're about twice as much as ordinary strings but of course last twice as long (if not more) but consumers rarely do the calculation and make the connection and realise they'd be saving money in the longer term. Most people just shudder at the thought of handing over £11 for a set of strings!
joebot

Big Bad Bill wrote:Elixir strings have a pretty different feel to Slinky's et al. The Goretex coating smooths the wound strings and thus reduces handling noise, and of course they last much longer than non-coated strings. I think people don't use them because of the expense. They're about twice as much as ordinary strings but of course last twice as long (if not more) but consumers rarely do the calculation and make the connection and realise they'd be saving money in the longer term. Most people just shudder at the thought of handing over £11 for a set of strings!
I much prefer the feel of em, they stay bright for ages as well, it isn't just how long they last, they are good for most of there life if they are kept clean!!!!!.
Zeds.Ded

i must give a set a try