whats will all the strat haters out there?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
resha

bancika wrote:
resha wrote:Yeah Miker, but the EJ strat is on another planet!

2-piece lightweight alder body, quartersawn maple neck, 12" radius fretboard, vintage 6 saddles bridge and nitro finish!

That's a real strat :wink:
Do you really think that nitro finish makes it better in any way? I hate it because it's 10 times less durable than any modern finish, scratches so easily...and stinks much more :)
But it sounds so much better!
:lol:
joebot

Azrael wrote:
Every Jackson guitar is great, they don't have a poser brand like Squire and Epiphone. Every Jackson is a Jackson. They only use the best materials.
Jackson concept dinky, bass wood body, eastern maple neck.......yea top grade shit man!!

Last edited by joebot on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joebot

resha wrote:
joebot wrote:
resha wrote:I don't think a strat is the right guitar to play modern (shred) music.

I mean when I play my strat I always tend to notice its limit
- bridge (even though I've got a wilkinson)
- fretboard radius
- neck shape
- upper frets access

To me it's the right guitar to play certain classic pop-rock stuff that dose not require a great performance from the guitar itself or to play some cool funky tunes!

I started getting comfrotable with every guitar's natural features; if I want to play Steve's stuff I cannot use my strat 'cause it just ain't the right guitar (reason mentioned above). If I want to play some quite pop-rock stuff my Jem -on the other side- is not the right guitar too (the pickups are too hot, she tends to scream and be a "prima donna"). The same with my LP...

If I want to go with some AC DC or ... born to be wild (and all that kind of 60s/70s rock and hard rock) she's the right guitar and so on

Every guitar has imho its natural "field of expression" due its features that any other guitar can duplicate (this is why to me is so important to have "all" different kinds of guitars)
Tell that to malmsteen! :wink:
Malmsteen does not ask to his strats anything his strats cannot do
In all fairness he plays stuff as widely different as classical to metal, blues rock etc......is there anything this guitar can't do?
resha

joebot wrote:
resha wrote:
joebot wrote: Tell that to malmsteen! :wink:
Malmsteen does not ask to his strats anything his strats cannot do
In all fairness he plays stuff as widely different as classical to metal, blues rock etc......is there anything this guitar can't do?
I'm talking about a guitar's physical limit.

YJM does not require anything to His strat that she cannot give him (as a 4th pull up, or 24 frets fingering, or bad dive bombs and so on...)
GuitarBizarre

Theres a chap on the Megadeth/ESP forums who goes by the name of Pharaoh. He's a guitar dealer with an emphasis on Jackson ESP and Ibanez, and he's owned more Jems than most of us here will ever see, along with literally dozens of fully custom ESPs and Jacksons.

He also happens to despie the quality control of the major brands, since he, as said, spends most of his time replacing parts and fixing things on the brand new guitars that come into his shop. Also, Vince Sansevere is a dealer too with a doubleneck Jackson W, and has a similar viewpoint.

Between them, they've seen guitars with frets installed at the wrong place, maple tops that come off, inlays routed so thinly you can see wood through them, dried and cracked necks, nut slots so badly cut they should never have been used, and even some guitars with the binding falling off the neck.

Admittedly these have mostly been Gibsons, but fenders are far from blameless.

My personal experience backs this up too. I've played Epiphones for 600 that DESTROYED 1300 of Gibson LP. I've never played a decent gibson, period, and as for Fenders, well thats a love hate relationship. A good one will have me twangin texas blues all over the shop with that most excellent twangin singles tone, while a bad one will have me struggling with a horrible feel and a bad sound to the point where I probably wont even bother playing it.
joebot

resha wrote:
joebot wrote:
resha wrote: Malmsteen does not ask to his strats anything his strats cannot do
I'm talking about a guitar's physical limit.

YJM does not require anything to His strat that she cannot give him (as a 4th pull up, or 24 frets fingering, or bad dive bombs and so on...)
He does bend to the 24'th fret note form the 21'st quite a lot but I taker your point :lol:
joebot

GuitarBizarre wrote:Theres a chap on the Megadeth/ESP forums who goes by the name of Pharaoh. He's a guitar dealer with an emphasis on Jackson ESP and Ibanez, and he's owned more Jems than most of us here will ever see, along with literally dozens of fully custom ESPs and Jacksons.

He also happens to despie the quality control of the major brands, since he, as said, spends most of his time replacing parts and fixing things on the brand new guitars that come into his shop. Also, Vince Sansevere is a dealer too with a doubleneck Jackson W, and has a similar viewpoint.

Between them, they've seen guitars with frets installed at the wrong place, maple tops that come off, inlays routed so thinly you can see wood through them, dried and cracked necks, nut slots so badly cut they should never have been used, and even some guitars with the binding falling off the neck.

Admittedly these have mostly been Gibsons, but fenders are far from blameless.

My personal experience backs this up too. I've played Epiphones for 600 that DESTROYED 1300 of Gibson LP. I've never played a decent gibson, period, and as for Fenders, well thats a love hate relationship. A good one will have me twangin texas blues all over the shop with that most excellent twangin singles tone, while a bad one will have me struggling with a horrible feel and a bad sound to the point where I probably wont even bother playing it.
I know what you mean, on both accounts, I have encountered fenders with shite pickups a lot and poor set ups, but as for the overall build quality I can't say I have ever really had that much of a problem compared to any other brand, including ibanez, my experience with ibanez has been mostly bad for the last 6 years or so!.

The less Paul's I have tried recently have been nothing short of disastrous!. I have also pickup a epi and thought this whips the pants of the real thing build wise, they even have better tops than the standards and next range up!
Zeds.Ded

god those EJ strats are incredible, theres just something about them that appeal so much to me, which is saying a lot because i usually would only go for a 70's strat
joebot

Zeds.Ded wrote:god those EJ strats are incredible, theres just something about them that appeal so much to me, which is saying a lot because i usually would only go for a 70's strat
Eric johnson?
Zeds.Ded

miker

joebot wrote:Eric johnson?
Damn freakin' straight. His signature guitars are awesome.
Zeds.Ded

im getting a semi just looking at that thing
bancika

resha wrote: But it sounds so much better!
Did you try to take one non-nitro guitar, strip it, refinish in nitro and notice the difference? C'mon man, there are dozens of other stuff that influence much more than that. Do you really notice it's better? If you like EJ you must be into that, he can tell two different brands of batteries apart :)
calos

bancika wrote: If you like EJ you must be into that, he can tell two different brands of batteries apart :)
So can I, the PP3 ones, but only by licking the terminals.

LOL

peace
cal
joebot

miker wrote:
joebot wrote:Eric johnson?
Damn freakin' straight. His signature guitars are awesome.
Never tried one, whats so good about them, I hate those vintage trems man, I don't know how anyone gets on with them!!!.

And vintage machines with the hole in the top YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Take it the neck is sweet and the pickups are to die for then?