Whammy not staying in place?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
afaruler159

I have a white jem, and I was wondering why when my whammy bar is in, why is it not staying in place. Say I put it parallel to the fretboard, why won't it stay in place. It just fall right back down to a 90 degree angle from the fretboard.
This may be somewhere else in the forum but I could'nt find it. HELP ME!!!
Zeds.Ded

just tighten the little allen bolt behind the whammy bar under the trem, just push the trem all the way down, have a look under it, behind the whammy bar, should be a little allen bolt there. thats if its tightened the same way as the EdgeIII
afaruler159

Zeds.Ded wrote:just tighten the little allen bolt behind the whammy bar under the trem, just push the trem all the way down, have a look under it, behind the whammy bar, should be a little allen bolt there. thats if its tightened the same way as the EdgeIII

That is not there.
resha

If you have an Edge - Lo pro Edge - Edge Pro bridge you may change those little white teflon rings on your bar :wink:
guyver_dio

you either have to replace the white plastic washers on the whammy bar itself (if they are worn). Or do the commonly suggested trick of applying a thin layer of clear nail polish to the whammy bar (you'll find this on the jemsite or ibanez rules). Or wrap a piece of the plastic string packaging like you'll find in d'addario string sets. Or place one of those plastic washers over a flame cautiously to deform it a bit (be cautious about this and don't over do it, sit it over the flame for a short while, put it back on the whammy bar, put whammy bar into guitar and test, if not right then repeat it again. Or for a non permanent solution but safe, just bend the washers a little bit so they are loose but wide on the whammy bar, this will make for a tighter fit.

All of these are previous suggestions that have been discussed on this forum. Usually replacing the washers will keep it nice and tight for a little while, you should be able to buy a bag of these washers from a hardware store and should be cheap.
seljer

^ wrapping it in teflon tape is also a good solution (that white tape plumbers use to make pipes fit together tight)
afaruler159

guyver_dio wrote:you either have to replace the white plastic washers on the whammy bar itself (if they are worn). Or do the commonly suggested trick of applying a thin layer of clear nail polish to the whammy bar (you'll find this on the jemsite or ibanez rules). Or wrap a piece of the plastic string packaging like you'll find in d'addario string sets. Or place one of those plastic washers over a flame cautiously to deform it a bit (be cautious about this and don't over do it, sit it over the flame for a short while, put it back on the whammy bar, put whammy bar into guitar and test, if not right then repeat it again. Or for a non permanent solution but safe, just bend the washers a little bit so they are loose but wide on the whammy bar, this will make for a tighter fit.

All of these are previous suggestions that have been discussed on this forum. Usually replacing the washers will keep it nice and tight for a little while, you should be able to buy a bag of these washers from a hardware store and should be cheap.

The jem is brand new. I have only had the whammy in 2 times, and the washers already need to be replaced? That does not sound right. It might be something else.
seljer

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/3other.htm#tremarmrot
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/loose_holder.htm

?

I assume the Edge Pro isnt too different from the Edge and LoPro in this aspect
Lake of desire

afaruler159 wrote:
guyver_dio wrote:you either have to replace the white plastic washers on the whammy bar itself (if they are worn). Or do the commonly suggested trick of applying a thin layer of clear nail polish to the whammy bar (you'll find this on the jemsite or ibanez rules). Or wrap a piece of the plastic string packaging like you'll find in d'addario string sets. Or place one of those plastic washers over a flame cautiously to deform it a bit (be cautious about this and don't over do it, sit it over the flame for a short while, put it back on the whammy bar, put whammy bar into guitar and test, if not right then repeat it again. Or for a non permanent solution but safe, just bend the washers a little bit so they are loose but wide on the whammy bar, this will make for a tighter fit.

The jem is brand new. I have only had the whammy in 2 times, and the washers already need to be replaced? That does not sound right. It might be something else.
It is most likely this. The washers are not very durable. The nail polish trick works for me. Just have to re-apply it from time to time.

Try it.
brentm

Try swapping the positions of those two washers. Move the bottom one up to the top and vice versa.