i,ve damaged my js 10th chromeboy...please help??

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
notavirtuoso

jem7v wrote:then get some mirror finish chrome spray
I'm no expert but that part sounds like a really bad idea. The fiberglass might work to fix the damage but you'll still have a problem with the chrome flaking off. Painting over the edges won't do anything but make a mess. You may be able to have something like this done: Make a very clean, precise cut around the entire damaged area, making it look like a cube with perfect corners has been cut out of it. Have a chunk of aluminum machined to fit, polish to a very high luster, have it dipped in copper, polish again, then have it dipped in chrome and polish yet again. Then mount it to the guitar. You'll have to have some sort of studs installed into the luthite or whatever it is and have the aluminum piece machined to accept these studs and either glued together or have the holes drilled all the way through the block and use screws or allen bolts to mount it. This will still leave you with your main problem of keeping the chrome from flaking from the cut edges though. You'll have to seal that somehow. The seam will be apparent and the chrome luster will probably be a bit different but other than having the whole body stripped (if even possible with that material), then filling the hole and rechroming the whole thing, it's the closest thing I can think of to make it look decent. If I were you I'd probably have to find a way to accept the visible damage and just concentrate on keeping the chrome from peeling. Until you do something about that, don't handle the guitar at all. Peeling is inevitable and any touch, wipe or poke will only make it happen sooner rather than later. Remember, patience is a virtue.
h100

wow that sucks,
i like guitars that look a little beat in
but damn
IbanezGRX
Banned

Eeew you'r fingers are weird :S

Lol Sorry It's the only thing I noticed.
pjaydee

OUCH! I feel so bad for ya dood...it happened to me a while ago i dropped mine in a similiar way and put a scratch the full length of the guitar body on it and a deep one too....gutted, didnt know what to do. It bugged me that much i had to sell it and buy a new one..but thats just me. I hope you get it mended...it will at least add character...have a look at Evo's pics it may make ya feel better..!
Stephen Brown

Oh my life!! That's so harsh. You must be so gutted. Sorry for you pain! :cry:
miker

That's messed up making the poor guy self-conscious about his fingers.

Especially when he's dealing with that kind of damage to such a beautiful guitar.

You made him change the picture. That's pretty cold shit people.
jem7v

haha thanks miker
i just felt that people were paying way too much time to my digits and not the point in hand

like i did,nt have enough to deal with...hahahaha
miker

I agree with you man. I feel your pain. Hurts every time I see those pics of your guitar.

If I could be more helpful than what some other people posted -- advice about who to talk to to get it repaired, I would. But I really got no clue. Good luck.
al

miker wrote:That's messed up making the poor guy self-conscious about his fingers.

Especially when he's dealing with that kind of damage to such a beautiful guitar.

You made him change the picture. That's pretty cold shit people.
You have a pretty weird face! :twisted:

ah comon its jus a comment made, i wouldnt take it to heart, if we took everything we read on the internet seriously, im pretty sure we'd be dead.
miker

Yes, I do. ...and you look like a girl.

But we got thicker skins than most people.

I felt bad for the guy, cuz he changed the picture is all.

Plus, he gots enough probs with the guitar right now man.
quiksilver98

MAn, that guitar looks really hurt man!
another virtuoso

hahahaha that was hilarious jem7v :lol: :D
Breeder

I have great solution :!:

1.take your hardware off-pick ups,bridge,pots etc...
2.remove the neck
3.go to store and buy big chain
4.beat the hell out of your guitar using that same chain until it looks like it is being played
5.put hardware and neck back on
6.enjoy

I personally think this scar looks great :twisted:
I would just put some finish on it

P.S.
stop biting your nails
jem7v

i just wasted 10 secs of my life reading your post breeder
Lotus Eater

Do you still have the pieces that broke off?
The actual mirror finish would not be easy to come by I assume. So
any trace of the original that could be put back on would be of huge help.
Also it may continue to flake away, so you might want to use a penetrating super glue to hold what's exposed to the (i think basswood) body. I have seen a krylon spray paint that may give you a simmiler looking patch, it's very reflective and smooth, but you will still need to compensate for the depth of the laquer around the damage.
All in all, it's a grand battle wound my friend. Be proud of her for surviving.
(you could have lost the neck, or worse)