Very first guitar

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
notavirtuoso

What was you very first guitar? Being a noob at the time did you do any damage to it performing maintenance or have any other mishaps with it? Do you still have it? If not do you wish you did? Any guitar virgin stories qualify for this thread.

I have no idea what brand my first guitar was, some sort of cheap, second hand Jackson Dinky clone I guess. The strap pin on the horn came out one day while my hands were evidently distracted by a cigarette or something and guitar fell to it death, snapping the neck. I still have it anyway, in a box somewhere in the basement.
seljer

a 20 year old nylon stringed yugoslavian thing with horridly high action that I got for free. Somebody apparently tried repainting it and there are brush hairs caught in the finish.

I played that guitar for a full year, without a pick

It also has absolutely horrid intonation (that may be because the strings haven't been changed for 2 or 3 years now as I really don't remember it being as bad as it is now when i first started playing)

After a year I bought a Squier which is more or less my only guitar :| (but I do love thing anyway...)
guyver_dio

RG270

Only bad maintenance I did to it was for years wiping and cleaning across the neck instead of down the neck with the grain. It's been a guinea pig for a few different pick-ups over the years but because it's cheap the years of abuse caught up with it and one of the pole pieces has shifted and now sits on a diagonal , making the floating trem pretty much impossible to use cause there's no telling what the tuning will do when it returns. I still use it today but have the trem fully blocked at the back so it doesn't move and only play it when I need something detuned. The input is shithouse too and snaps the earth wire off all the time after a lot of twisting and turning of the jack.
brentm

Man, I wish I still had my first. It was a Peavey Patriot... beautiful guitar and I really didn't know how cool it was until later in life.

I sold it to put some money on an Ensoniq EPS when I went techno in the 90s. I sometimes wonder where she is... if she's hanging in a pawn shop or ???
bancika

The very first one was yugoslavian (Hobby brand) acoustic which I borrowed from father's friend. Action was high, tuners bad but it was ok for start. The first electric was also borrowed bulgarian Kremona which was awful but I didn't know for better.
resha

American standard strat.

I still have Her :P
bancika

resha wrote:American standard strat.

I still have Her :P
that's a nice start
Big Bad Bill

This was mine-a Marlin something or other!
I wanted one like this after seeing Midge Ure playing a similar one on 'Pebble Mill at One' :shock: I sold it but I wish I hadn't. It stayed perfectly in tune with it's Kahler trem and locking nut and this alone made it worth far more that the £60 purchase price! My next was a Fender Heavy Metal Strat which I still use..........
Shade

Ibanez 7 string GIO guitar.

I still have it, and love it as much as I did the first day I brought it home. The worst thing I ever did to it was when my Dad and I went to change strings on it. We had never done it before, and thinking we could just figure it out, we took the bridge apart. And after about 30 minutes of un-screwing, we saw that the strings still went down into the body. Then my mom came in and was like, "What are you people doing!? Have you looked on the back yet?"

Sure enough, when we flipped it over we saw the un-screw-able backplate and the holes where the strings would come out of on the bridge.

Definently a *noob* experience that I will never forget...especially since my guitar spent a week in the shop being re-setup lol.
holzwurm

My first and only guitar is an Ibanez GSA 60... and i don't have a story of it ^^

(bought it in January 07)
sunai

my first accoustic guitar was an old cheapo one made here locally
i got my electric 3 months ago and its in very good condition evn after a string change!!
another virtuoso

My first was a Fender Squire acoustic.

...And yes, I wanted it after seeing Crossroads on tv.
:guitar
calos

My first guitar, was a KAY les-paul copy in black with chrome type pick-ups, can't remember what happend to it now I come to think of it.

Oh and BigBadBill if you Marlin guitar was a marlin sidewinder, then it was unbeliveible for the price, I remember them well and almost bought one, they had a khaler copy trem but with real Dimarzio pick ups on them, can't remember wich but, the where sold for less than the value of the parts really.

peace
cal
Zeds.Ded

my brothers Tanglewood strat copy, nice guitar.

but my first guitar i owned was a Brian Moore i21, absolutely brilliant guitar (probably cause it was my first) brilliant sustain, brilliant shape, great to play, sounded brilliant

in real life the colour is darker and a lot nicer
<Mike>

a blue washburn something and it sucked.

Three months after I've bought that guitar I bought an epihone SG and it was quite goodie I guess.

but a year after that guitar I bought an Ibanez RG350DX and that's what I have now.