Ibanez SA2160FM prestige

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Jem-7vwh-agg

Ibanez SA2160FM prestige

#1 Post by Jem-7vwh-agg » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:00 am

I am interested on buying this guitar. I've got specs prices etc etc and they mach my needs perfectly, the problem is i can't find a review anywhere!!! does anybody own this baby? or ever played one?

Jem-7vwh-agg

#2 Post by Jem-7vwh-agg » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:03 am

ANYONE????

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Axe2Grind
Newcomer

#3 Post by Axe2Grind » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:54 am

I've just bought one of these last week (Aug 16th)... its an awesome axe. If you need any questions answered, let me know.:)

Jem-7vwh-agg

#4 Post by Jem-7vwh-agg » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:26 am

wow! i never expected someone to reply cause it's a rare guitar.

basicaly i want a full review plus some audio clips :)

AM I ASKING TOO MUCH? hehe :)

Sound ?
Action, Fit, & Finish?
Reliability/Durability?
Overall Rating ?

how would you compare it to other guitars you own? or played?

thank you!!!

Axe2Grind
Newcomer

#5 Post by Axe2Grind » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:11 am

Hey dude,

Well, I've only just got it last Thursday. But I can give you a bit of info of my experience with my SA2160FM so far. I bought the guitar online from www.Thomann.de which is a Germany Music Superstore (I live in the UK) but they shipped it for free. If you're gonna get one of these or any higher priced axe. Make sure the shop orders it in, don't buy one off the shelf or hanging up in the store, My one was in a warehouse so never got played by others so the finish and everything was immaculate. The shop gave it a once over. Out of the box, the guitar did NOT play well, it was setup with 9's, had a very loose action but was still very playable. I am a 10's man so got it setup by a proper guitar tech with 10's and now its the best guitar I have ever owned. It felt immediately comfortable like I've had it for years. Everything about this guitar is top quality and the hard case is excellent. I'd recommend wherever you buy this from, that the shop sets it up to your preferred spec or get a pro to set it up for you (unless you can do this yourself) because then you'll truely be happy with it like I am. The factory setup sucks!!!.

I personally love the pickups, there are 7 pickup settings so this guitar can cover a wide range of styles and tones. There is a push/pull volume knob, when pushed down you get the full humbucker, when pulled up, you get a true single coil sound from the bridge which is very useable.If you checkout the Ibanez site, it explains the TruDuo bucker in this axe.I play through a line 6 Toneport with all the add-ons and I am very happy with the my tone. Unfortunaletly I have not recorded anything yet that's available for download but when I do, I'll post a couple of links for you to listen too.
But tone all depends on what you plug into as well and also your fingers, but the reponse from the guitar is top quality.

Overall, this guitar is built superbly well, the maple top is beautiful and the neck is very fast and playable. All the hardware is also great, Gotoh non-locking tuners which work well, the SAT Pro trem which stays in tune pretty well. Using some of the patches I have created, I get near endless sustain with distortion and the cleans are very crisp and clear. I have owned lots of guitar over the years including two Parker Fly's, lots of midrange Ibanez's, Carvin DC200, steinbergers. This is the best by far.
I would recommend seeing if you can find one to play somewhere and see for yourself cause obviously I am gonna be enthusiastic about this guitar as its my new axe (and only axe now!). Good luck with your purchase, try before you buy and then go order it in. :)

Jem-7vwh-agg

#6 Post by Jem-7vwh-agg » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:17 am

thanx for the review, the guitar you have could be mine now, i saw it at thomann about 2 months ago in stock. i suspect they only had 1 piece in stock cause now it's not available. I want another guitar and i am between this Ibanez, a Musicman silhouette special and a Suhr pro series S2.

unfortunatly i can't find any of those close by so i an try them out.

This ibanez has all of the specifications that i would ask in a custom guitar(if i was to build one).

I have 3 other guitars now. An ibanez jem7vwh, a PGM301, and a Line6 Variax.

I am asking for something that will sound drasticaly different.

Mahogany body. HSS pickups, 22 frets, no floyd tremolo.
The only thing that doesn't fit is that i want a maple freatboard, cause i like the snap and grip of it...

And the search goes on...

thank you

Axe2Grind
Newcomer

#7 Post by Axe2Grind » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:34 am

Well, I've played an EB Silhouette Special and that was a very nice axe, instant comfort and easy to play. They are a bit more money though. The Suhr S2 is a nice axe as well but the body of those guitars (the Standard Suhr body) is a little on the chunky side for me. If the maple board is a must, Id go for the EB, otherwise it would be the SA all the way....Look luck in your decision, its a tough one!.

P.S Glad you did'nt get the SA, cause its mine now ....:)

bluesbreaker

#8 Post by bluesbreaker » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:55 pm

Sorry to be rude, but that inlay at 12th fret looks silly.

Jem-7vwh-agg

#9 Post by Jem-7vwh-agg » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:46 am

it's a matter of taste. I like it :)

Axe2Grind
Newcomer

#10 Post by Axe2Grind » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:57 am

bluesbreaker wrote:Sorry to be rude, but that inlay at 12th fret looks silly.
Well, the picture does not do it justice, I like it, which is the main thing for me !...:)

Zeds.Ded

#11 Post by Zeds.Ded » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:59 am

i love the back of the neck

another virtuoso

#12 Post by another virtuoso » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:59 pm

thats one sweet lookin ax brother.

ps. personally, i dig the 12th fret inlays. :wink:

Jem-7vwh-agg

#13 Post by Jem-7vwh-agg » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:44 pm

It's a GREAT guitar by Ibanez, but maybe underestimated cause it's very rare.

Between this and the Andy timmons signature, which would you choose?

Axe2Grind
Newcomer

#14 Post by Axe2Grind » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:46 am

Hey Jem7,

Here is a cover of Andy Timmons Carpe Diem. Its all done with my SA2160FM. I play it through my Line6 Toneport and a patch I made for this tune. If you can listen beyond my crap playing....

here's the link:

http://www.grostate.plus.com/MyMusic/Ca ... _Cover.mp3

and Hey guys thanks for the comments on my new axe !!!. I do love the back on the neck also. Usually they don't pay much attention to it but on this they've gone to town. :)

Axe2Grind
Newcomer

#15 Post by Axe2Grind » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:12 am

Jem-7vwh-agg wrote: Between this and the Andy timmons signature, which would you choose?
Well, I did actually have a choice of these two guitars and chose the SA because I like the set neck and the flexibility of the bridge pickup and the finish / colour. Was'nt too keen on the inlays of the AT axe.But cosmetics aside, I think I made the right choice.:)