Which guitars have the best sustain and tuning stability...?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
alienillusions
Banned

I've heard SG's are horrible at staying in tune and I've owned a Strat, (the SRV sig), and the intonation sucks on those....What's the best type? String through body style guitars? And what's the best brand name guitar with the best sustain and/or tuning stability?....I need a quality non-signature guitar as a sturdy backup/alternative to my JS 1200. Shecter possibly? Thanks for any and all input.
Igor

intonation sucks?

on a srv sig?
unless you got a lemon, somebody has been fiddling with the saddles and it will need a complete

best tuning stability? a guitar with a well maintained floyd (no cheap knockoffs guys. the real thing) and locking nut. it will NEVER go out of tune. to kick it up a notch, have it non recessed, non floating - flush with the body and it wont go out of tune even when you break a string

best sustain? that has many factors. wood, strings, pickups, amp, volume, gain, the player & his (her) fingers.
the bridge i found doesnt have that much of an effect on it as many hardtail purists claim. it has more to do with what mood god was in when the guitar was made.. and since i dont believe in good, you can imagine how much of an effect it has. same with the neck joint.
a quality guitar will sustain to the worlds end. a shitty one, wont
alienillusions
Banned

Igor wrote:intonation sucks?

on a srv sig?
unless you got a lemon, somebody has been fiddling with the saddles and it will need a complete

best tuning stability? a guitar with a well maintained floyd (no cheap knockoffs guys. the real thing) and locking nut. it will NEVER go out of tune. to kick it up a notch, have it non recessed, non floating - flush with the body and it wont go out of tune even when you break a string

best sustain? that has many factors. wood, strings, pickups, amp, volume, gain, the player & his (her) fingers.
the bridge i found doesnt have that much of an effect on it as many hardtail purists claim. it has more to do with what mood god was in when the guitar was made.. and since i dont believe in good, you can imagine how much of an effect it has. same with the neck joint.
a quality guitar will sustain to the worlds end. a shitty one, wont
Here's Andy Aledort's professional opinion on a Strat's intonation, "Stratocasters can never really in tune everywhere on the fretboard---if you get your open-string "cowboy" chords in tune, fretted chords high on the neck will be slightly out. This is a fact of life with Strats." It's true, Strats are just like that, man...
RAI

alienillusions wrote:Here's Andy Aledort's professional opinion on a Strat's intonation, "Stratocasters can never really in tune everywhere on the fretboard---if you get your open-string "cowboy" chords in tune, fretted chords high on the neck will be slightly out. This is a fact of life with Strats." It's true, Strats are just like that, man...
A Strat isn't more prone to be hard to intonate that any other guitar.
No guitar is ever in tune.
That is just the nature of the beast...
Pom-Bear

doesn't Innotation always change?

i had my guitars professionally set up and the intonation was perfect but because of climate change the wood of the body etc and neck changes a bit i think and changes the innotation i think
klangmaster TM

What about BuzzFeiten System?
RAI

The Buzz Feiten System supposedly makes a guitar more in tune, but still not perfect...
alienillusions
Banned

RAI wrote:
alienillusions wrote:Here's Andy Aledort's professional opinion on a Strat's intonation, "Stratocasters can never really in tune everywhere on the fretboard---if you get your open-string "cowboy" chords in tune, fretted chords high on the neck will be slightly out. This is a fact of life with Strats." It's true, Strats are just like that, man...
A Strat isn't more prone to be hard to intonate that any other guitar.
No guitar is ever in tune.
That is just the nature of the beast...
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...I think the intonation on my JS is the best of any guitar I've played....(not much for sustain though)...after much sweat and set-up of course..by the time you've got a new string set stretched in, set up and intonated, it's already time to put a new set on! lol
miker

When I got my JEM 7VWH... intonation was horrible. I have been adjusting it... almost perfect (well, let's say about as well as I can adjust it anyways. My Fender EJ strat... was dead nuts intonated... pretty much.

If it ain't right adjust it... as good as you can. Kind of a pain to do but worth the effort.
resha

Igor wrote:a guitar with a well maintained floyd (no cheap knockoffs guys. the real thing) and locking nut. it will NEVER go out of tune
Check the intonation on "Bad Horsie" or "FTLOG" performances in the Astoria dvd...
I wouldn't say never :wink:

:) Resha
RAI

resha wrote:Check the intonation on "Bad Horsie" or "FTLOG" performances in the Astoria dvd...

"Intonation" or "tuning"....?
Not the same thing.
Igor

are we talking PERFECT intonation or within the instruments boundaries?

that comment about strats not being able to intonate is COMPLETE and UTTER bullshit. and i say that guy doenst know what he's talking about

every guitar is prone to intonation issues, since it is only a close estimate. but you get close enough so it is playable and spot on as far as playability goes. if you want to plug it into measuring instruments and try to intonate it perfectly, it just wont go that way.
resha

RAI wrote:
resha wrote:Check the intonation on "Bad Horsie" or "FTLOG" performances in the Astoria dvd...

"Intonation" or "tuning"....?
Not the same thing.
I think that if an instrument in out of tune it'll be out of intonation too :roll:

anyway, in those performances Steve guitars are out of tune; I was saying that to stress the natural attitude of guitars to be out of tune after intense abuse :wink:
MR4Y

the intonation (plus tunning), only will be perfect when we get a way to tune ALL the 6 strings at the same time. The same with the intonation.
alienillusions
Banned

resha wrote:
Igor wrote:a guitar with a well maintained floyd (no cheap knockoffs guys. the real thing) and locking nut. it will NEVER go out of tune
Check the intonation on "Bad Horsie" or "FTLOG" performances in the Astoria dvd...

Oh yeah, FTLOG was soooo out of tune, but you can hear how Steve tries to compensate with tiny bends if you listen closely...I think his hands must have been worn out because he was not playing to the best of his ability either...