Must Have a Good Body

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
barhouston

(got wood?)

I've read all kinds of descriptions of the tonal characteristics of different guitar body woods (and necks), and I'm wondering what some of your opinions are.

What I like is warmth and resonance, without mushiness nor bell-like sound. I had a buncha stuff written here just now, but I just erased it in favor of saying simply that I like balance and, though it may sound stupid, good sound. Nothing too out-of-the-ordinary (i.e. really bright and twangy or something), but nothing bland. For the record, two out of the three electric guitars that I have owned were mahogany with maple tops. I play all kinds of rock (Vai-kinda stuff, of course).

Details and scenarios and pros/cons lists all rock. Thanks. :)
bancika

I don't think that wood can make much difference in tone, maybe +-2% but that's it. I don't like woods like poplar and basswood because they are too soft :)
al

ah wood has a fair bit to do with tone... even the laquer used on it can effect the tone... it depnds what you like! i personally love mahogany and ive a few guitars that has my fav tonal characteristics, the neck and fingerboard will effect it too.......
barhouston

Anybody have anything with walnut?
Mr. Wiggles

I'd say Basswood is an overall "even" wood when it comes to tonal characteristics. It is soft but shouldn't be a problem if your not making it yourself.
j.arledge

i like alder myself, seems to resonate a bit more then basswood but basswood is great and cheap
Gastric Sumo

Ash is probably what your looking for. Brighter than mahogany but not as bright as aldar, and not as soft as basswood(which I've never tried). I can definitly hear the tonal differences in wood though.
j.arledge

Gastric Sumo wrote:Ash is probably what your looking for. Brighter than mahogany but not as bright as aldar, and not as soft as basswood(which I've never tried). I can definitly hear the tonal differences in wood though.
i can feel the difference more then hear it myself. Certain wood s are really resonate at certain frequincies , thats why i like alder . I can fell all the notes being played .
barhouston

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm gonna throw in another adjective for the wood to keep things moving:

Smoooooth. 8)

(With clarity.)
dex

It makes me laugh when people talk about wood for hours and then proceed to plug their custom made wallnut/koa toped guitar into a tripple rectifier with the gain set at 11..... :D

Type of wood makes less tonal difference than construction, which makes even less difference than pickups but none of the above make as much difference as Amp/effects......
Not to mention the ability to play (the whole "Tone is in the fingers" thing).....

Give Steve a strat or a Les Paul and a coupe of days to get used to them and tweak his amp and only Eric Johnson would be able to hear the difference between a strat/Evo or Les Paul/Evo.

Wood, construction, pickups, cables, effects, amp......none of these can mask the fact that you can't play that well. :D
A few years ago at a jam at Simon's (cerealk) house a 17 year old dude (Art - not sure if he posts here) plugged into a battery powered Marshall (the little 9v toy ones) and proceeded to play my own guitar much better than I'll ever be able to play it and I'm almost twice his age...

ilia
barhouston

I can play just fine. I'm about to buy a new Carvin, and I haven't decided on body/neck material.

:)
EyE

lol Thought when i saw the thread "good body" you wure referring to a "date" with a well formed female. :lol:

me and my nasty thoughts :wink:
barhouston

:D That was the idea. I hoped that people in the forum would be as attracted to a nice set of mahogany body blanks as they would an attractive woman.
al

id rahter look at guitars than women :D
dex

:lol: I'm not saying you can't play - I'm saying I can't play and I went through years getting real cool guitars and effects and the odd amp thinking it would make me sound better but they didn't.

If you're asking other people's advice on a new guitar you are going to get - well, just get what you want.
I'd go for alder myself but if you like mahogany better - go for that.

ilia