Should I scallop last 4 frets?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.

Your opinion?

Yes
18%
Yes
18%
Yes
18%
Yes
18%
No
7%
No
7%
No
7%
No
7%

Total votes: 72
bancika

Help me with decision. As you might saw in my other thread, I'm making my custom guitar. I'm stll not sure about scalloping, so please anyone who tried it can you give me pros and cons
Thanks
j1mi_h3ndrix

:shock: :roll: :|
brentm

I just read something really interesting about scalloped fretboards in Jim Donahue's book.

He mentions that they found that notes (frets) over the body have less sustain than notes that are not. Why? I don't know.. He also goes on to mention that scalloping the notes over the body improves the sustain (to match the lower frets).

I also read that Steve also mentioned that it helps with his fingering on the higher registers... but I didn't know about the improved sustain.
al

DO IT... if u wana i scalloped 10 frets on my strat for the hell of it and it playes even better now and mnore fun to play but dont do it by hand or things u find, use sometihn less tedious
fyrie

I love the scalloped frets on my Jem, but don't do a crappy job at it. I can't really say how it affects sustain, but it does increase the playability of the upper frets.
j.arledge

dont scallop too deep . I have seen some absoultly horrible DIY scallop jobs .

Look at ygnwie's production fender , scallops aren't very deep at all. You seem like a competent guy so i'd say yeah go for it if you feel confortable doing it just be careful . You can always sand away more but adding it back on is pretty damn hard :D
mi2tom

scallop it
Jahovasnout
Banned

Don't. Only pussies scallop. Yngwie = pussy. Blackore = pussy. You = pussy.
knarfzednem

Ibanez Jems are scalloped 21-24. Steve Vai created the Jem. and do you know what forum you're on?
with that kind of attitude, one usually doesn't last too long here.

anyways, i don't notice much with the sustain, but playing with scalloped frets is a treat, especially for someone who has big hands. i'd say, if you're comfortable with the idea, and think you can use the added playability, then go for it.
EyE

knarfzednem wrote:Ibanez Jems are scalloped 21-24. Steve Vai created the Jem.
Not all Jem's have scalloped frets. The Jem7RB, Jem7BSB, Jem7DBK, Jem10th, Jem90HAM, Jem77BRMR, Jem555 and the Jem333 don't have scalloped frets. :wink:
bancika

Jahovasnout wrote:Don't. Only pussies scallop. Yngwie = pussy. Blackore = pussy. You = pussy.
What the fuck is wrong with you, with 2 out of 7 your posts you managed to offend me with no reason. In other 5 posts you offended other forum members. If I was mod. I'd kick your stupid ass out. :lol:

For all others, thanks for replies! How deep should I go? Also, should I scallop symetrically both sides of neck (low E and high E). I've seen some guitars that are scalloped more towards high E string.
I'll probably do it, just have to practice a little since we didn't do it before :) I have some spare ebony finderboard from stewMac, I bought completely new fingerboard, radiuses with fret slots and my father broke it to 4 pieces accidently :) Now I have practicing ebony
Igor

only scallop if YOU feel it will improve your playing.

i never tried scalloped frets out until i had the honour to play EVO and yea, it was MUCH easier to play in the upper registers, because if its scalloped, you dont need to press the string down that hard and when you play in the upper registers, you do lose some finger strenght due to the position of the hand.

as for improving sustain .. there is some to it, again high probability goes to the fact that you dont press down that hard and the string only touches the fret and nothing else. improves the bends, your grip etc etc etc

a 1.5mm deep scallop is ALL you need

and to scallop JUST because steve has the last frets scalloped is idiotic, proves you know shit and are a total sheap.

anything you do to a guitar, you do because YOU feel you have to do it, however stupid it seems (ruining a san dimas sunburst charvel built by wayne -> green meanie.. and we all know what became of that axe :))

man.. lol .. my condolences for the ebony. it's shithard to work with, especialy during winter.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Jahovasnout wrote:Don't. Only pussies scallop. Yngwie = pussy. Blackore = pussy. You = pussy.
You = idiot. Another post like this and you'll find yourself swiftly banned.

Consider yourself warned.

Mikey
vai.com
bancika

Igor wrote:only scallop if YOU feel it will improve your playing.

i never tried scalloped frets out until i had the honour to play EVO and yea, it was MUCH easier to play in the upper registers, because if its scalloped, you dont need to press the string down that hard and when you play in the upper registers, you do lose some finger strenght due to the position of the hand.

as for improving sustain .. there is some to it, again high probability goes to the fact that you dont press down that hard and the string only touches the fret and nothing else. improves the bends, your grip etc etc etc

a 1.5mm deep scallop is ALL you need

and to scallop JUST because steve has the last frets scalloped is idiotic, proves you know shit and are a total sheap.

anything you do to a guitar, you do because YOU feel you have to do it, however stupid it seems (ruining a san dimas sunburst charvel built by wayne -> green meanie.. and we all know what became of that axe :))

man.. lol .. my condolences for the ebony. it's shithard to work with, especialy during winter.
The thing is, I've never had a chance to try scalloped neck yet, here in Serbia there aren't many hi-tech gear and stuff :) So the only chance I have to try one is to make one. If most of you guys say it improves playablilty why not, I mean I can't screw up anything. It can't be that worse from standard neck. I'll use some round tool with sandpaper glued and just sand it down. Can someone who has scalloped JEM take few closeup pics and post it please, so I could see exactly how to do it.
Thanks!!

As for ebony, when it's slotted for frets it extremely fragile. If you ever come across don't try to bend it or something (bend it for 1/4" and that's it). On the other hand it's very, very nice to work with 'cause it's preety hard and dense. It feels like working with some kind of artificial material, very uniform, no fuzz or something, nice for drilling, cutting, etc. A+ :)
dweezil 9

Igor wrote:

We should assume he knows "shit" by him being in the process of building a custom guitar. There's no need to be throwing accusations around man.

Oh, and it's spelt "sheep".