Dimarzio "Evo 2" review

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
bkornaker1977

Dimarzio "Evo 2" review

#1 Post by bkornaker1977 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:57 pm

well, i got it about a week ago, and had some time to play on it. and i must say, this is what the original evolution should have been! It has all the nasaly edgyness as the original, but it DOESNT have that ice pick shrill high treble. The bass responce and the treble are nice and level now, yet the same tonal characteristics of the mids in the original evo are still there, yet with a bit more "vowel" like quality to the mids. My guitar now says " yeaoooow...." and " yeayyyhhhh" and is very mid vocal like. This is a very nice pickup!
The output is a hair less ( according to dimarzio), but i didnt notice any difference. Its still a high, ass-kickin output humbucker.
Honestly, this pickup matches the tone of steve vai better than the original evos. On his records and live shows....he doesnt sound shrill or high pierceing.....like his origianl evo pickups are. But this new Evo 2 is more to what he sounds like. Im very pleased with this pickup,.......and it seems to love the drop tuned guitars ( down a whole step with a drop D tuning).
Try it,...youll like it if ya need a high-mid heavy sound to cut through the mix.

Ffats

#2 Post by Ffats » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:57 pm

When did this pickup come out?

Optiquest

Re: Dimarzio "Evo 2" review

#3 Post by Optiquest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:55 pm

bkornaker1977 wrote:Honestly, this pickup matches the tone of steve vai better than the original evos. On his records and live shows....he doesnt sound shrill or high pierceing.....like his origianl evo pickups are. But this new Evo 2 is more to what he sounds like.
This doesnt even make sense. You can't get closer to sounding like Steve Vai than using his equipment(not an evo2 at that time). Of course there are other factors....

Shade

#4 Post by Shade » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:34 am

Optiquest wrote:
bkornaker1977 wrote:Honestly, this pickup matches the tone of steve vai better than the original evos. On his records and live shows....he doesnt sound shrill or high pierceing.....like his origianl evo pickups are. But this new Evo 2 is more to what he sounds like.
This doesnt even make sense. You can't get closer to sounding like Steve Vai than using his equipment(not an evo2 at that time). Of course there are other factors....
Well it depends a lot on your amp and whether or not you're playing through a lot of pedals.

For example, my amp(Crate GX-30) and my main guitar(GIO 7 string). If I put the gain on 6 and add a touch of reverb, I can get a pretty similar sound to FTLOG, Lotus feet....ect. And that's with stock pickups and an old used amp! (The amp's distortion ain't great for riffs though...that's why I have an effects pedal ^^).

Next guitar I get with a floyd rose, I'll be sure to have the shop install an EVO 2 in the bridge and maybe a PAF in the neck positions.

Balex the Shizzle

#5 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:21 am

it does make sense if we are talking about his album tone, he runs his guitar through a LOT of high tech n cool gear, whcih is fine, but makes imitating his tone a lot ahrder for us low budget tone junkies. also we know steve has a great deal of experience and can 'make a cardboard bos sound like a marshall'

the new evos sound cool, i think i may get some when i have saved up again (im just about to blow all my savings on an RG2550)

j.arledge

#6 Post by j.arledge » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:38 pm

Optiquest wrote:
not exactly true, he has a lot of toys and sounds can vary, but ultimatly it is a matter of personal taste and the way you precive things. So dont be too wrapped up in getting the right gear so much as getting the gear for the sound you want.
Last edited by j.arledge on Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.arledge

#7 Post by j.arledge » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:39 pm

Ffats wrote:When did this pickup come out?
begging of 05 febuary i think

1118916GB

#8 Post by 1118916GB » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:43 am

no way! the evo 2 is just like the Evo without a high piercing frequency? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that means that this is the pickup for me because I want great sustain, excellect lead "in your face" tone, hit harmonices over the 2nd fret and lasting for more than one second, pinch harmonics are tough and have sustain, and it has a crunchy tone and plus it doesnt have a piercing highs? I was going to buy the evo because it's what I want but this Evo seems to be the same without a percing tone. Is this for real?

cain777

#9 Post by cain777 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:12 pm

hey,
i havent seen the evo 2 yet. ive looked on the dimarzio website and they dont have anything on the evo 2. where did u see it or find it

NOT!!!

#10 Post by NOT!!! » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:31 pm

bkornaker1977 wrote: Its still a high, ass-kickin output humbucker.
Honestly, this pickup matches the tone of steve vai better than the original evos

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No!

But remember...he´s playing a Carvin Legacy, which (maybe) takes exactly these highs! Or just turn down your highs a little! Maybe the Evo 2 has the legacy built in (I know, sounds stupid ;)) and is for people who don´t play the Legacy....but I don´t think so!

So what is this pickup good for anyway? Is it one of Steves?

j.arledge

#11 Post by j.arledge » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:22 pm

cain777 wrote:hey,
i havent seen the evo 2 yet. ive looked on the dimarzio website and they dont have anything on the evo 2. where did u see it or find it

i got a dimarzio catalog with it in it. they havn't updated thier site in quite a while so it isn't on there yet.

www.music123.com has them
www.samash.com has them as well.

i was the first one to post about them in the general forum, if you do a search you can find it.

bkornaker1977

#12 Post by bkornaker1977 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:50 pm

i use it in a carvin legacy half stack, in a custom mirror chrome RG i built myself. This pickup is the REAL DEAL. Its just like the original evo, but has the highs pulled back a bit, letting the mids and some more overtones to come through and be more apparent. It DOESNT have that "ice pick" thin highs anymore. Its great! The dimarzio website has NO info on it, but its available. i bought mine from ebay from a trusted vendor.
it has more crunch, and a more "vowel like" mids to them. Its almost as if they took the eq curve away from the highs....and is leaning torwards the high-mid section.
The guitar is a basswood body, and a 24 fret 25 1/2 scalce neck ( rosewood).......and sound beautiful in it.

Skyscraper

#13 Post by Skyscraper » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:29 am

Do these pickups still cut through mixes for lead parts like the original Evolution pickups do? If they do they sound flawless from what's being said here.

cain777

#14 Post by cain777 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:03 am

thanks for the info jra2217 i found it. would anyone recommend the evo 2 over a steves special because i have an air norton in the neck and im having trouble whether to put the evo or the steves special