JEM 555WH (need help!)

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
drake

Hi..
I'm from malaysia.Right now i work hard to buy jem series guitar.I think i want to buy 555wh,but many site's said that guitar is not good guitar, and the polls said 555 is the worst guitar.Why?Jem 555 wh is the cheapest jem series among others jem series.can some 1 help me.I need an advice here.plzzz.I'm big fan of mr.steve vai.
the 555wh almost same like 7vwh,the neck,the pickup.So why.I dont know because i never play jem guitar.Plzz help me.. :cry:
Cacophony

Yes the JEM555 is the worst jem, It's the trem that lets the guitar down. In my opinion, you should try it out before buying it which you should do whenever you buy something, just to be sure.
EVO 555

the new ones are improved with the new trem but dont get an old one cause i had one and the trem sucks hope that helps get an rg series :P
drake

hi..thanks alot guys..but u said new 555?what year?
jimmyfingersminion

any 555 post 2003 should come with the newer edge proII trem. however, i have a mate who plays with an older 555 every week and is a guitar teacher. he never has any problem with his lo-trII. they are ok, but need alot more attention than a regular edge. I think they wrongly get a bad press.
EyE

Had a 555BK in '95 but after a year i traded it in because off the trem. Try it out your self first because it's all about taste and what goes for you. Good luck :wink:
Andelusion

If you use the trem a lot then you may not like the 555, it will go out of tune more than a Lo-pro that is on a Jem7v.

Are Jems very expensive in Malaysia? They are here in the UK. I'm saving up for a Jem7vwh, it's taking a -long- time but i know it'll be worth it.

Either try and save up for a Jem7v or go for an RG model if you want a guitar with a good trem.
drake

yup..here(malaysia)Jem 7v very expensive.
this is because my money value small than u.k.
I will try hard to buy 7v.
7v is my dreams guitar.thanks alot guys!! :D
drake

I have seen the 555 spec at ibanez website,and 555wh use edge pro II bridge.Is that the worst tremolo or the new one for 2003 555.I really need to know that.

I have seen vai use 555,maybe long time ago,but it seem vai 555 had gold bridge look like 7v,but it;s only half inlay like 555,so what's guitar is't?
plzz help me here
GuitarStrings

I still can't understand why people still keep buying 555s!
Hey dude get an RG Prestige! :P It would be WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better than a Jem 555! At least you would have the Edge Pro bridge and not a Edge Pro II.
Also the 555 doesn't even looks like a real Jem. :?
Andelusion

drake i think the photo of Vai with a 555 is actually a photo of him with 'Flo' when Flo had a 555 (half-vine) neck, the neck (like on Evo) has changed a few times.

If you REALLY want a 555 then buy one. But a Prestige RG would be a much better guitar like an RG2550 or even a RG1550. If you bought a Prestige RG1550 and changed the pickups to Evolutions (like in the 555 and 7v) then you'd get a brilliant guitar, much better than a 555.
drake

Thanks alot guys!!All your comment very important to me.I will saving up to buy jem7vwh.Until i get my dream guitar,i must keep practise,maybe it can took many year.The first thing, u can play that baby very well. :wink:
I have found the vai's 10 hour workout and it very very useble to me. :guitar
(note:Plzz ibanez dont stop produce 7vwh yet!)
Mothra

I wonder how Steve feels about his name being linked to a rather duff guitar?

I also think it's rather cynical of Ibanez to charge so much for a guitar that has been mocked up to look like a proper Steve Vai JEM. There are far better guitars you can get for that money.