JEM 7VWH...what´s that shit??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
NOT!!!

JEM 7VWH...what´s that shit??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

#1 Post by NOT!!! » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:04 am

Hi!

I bought my new (!) JEM 7 VWH today! Oh, what a lucky guy I am...bullshit!

When I pull the trem, the E and A string go a half halfstep sharp, when I push the whammy down it goes a half halfstep flat! So my Intune problems with the Ibanez Edge Pro (or whatever that is) are in a COMPLETE HALFSTEP!!! That´s record with all trems I´ve ever played!

Well, sorry for my overreacting, I should better cry :cry:!

It´s a so sweet guitar and I was so happy when I got it, it playes very well, but what is that?

What should I do?

And how can I set this trem right? Please don´t show me that Ibanez Rules, because I don´t know what they want from me!

Well, this Edge pro seems to be very heavy to set, all trems I have are Floyd Rose, which you set even to the body!

So please show me how to set the trem right and how I can get this problem off this very good guitar :cry:!

I was so happy...

ax murderer

#2 Post by ax murderer » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:20 am

well for a start, it may not be the guitars fault. it sounds more likely that the strings just need stretching in. on my 7VWH, the strings always go flat/sharp for a bit once i've changed them.

also, is the guitar brand new? if not, or even if so, check that the locking nut is all in good working condition. if there is any wear, or if parts don't align quite right, it may as well not be there at all.

as for the trem angle, this shouldn't effect how well the guitar stays in tune.

Lucky

#3 Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:25 am

Well something is either loose (try *carefully* tightening the nut where it secures to the neck) or you have screwed-up knife edges/posts. If after the nut has been checked and the pressure pads are secure you're still having problems, I'd take/send it back and get a replacement. Although I'd have to say, I'd be really suprised if a new JEM had buggered knife edges.

NOT!!!

#4 Post by NOT!!! » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:59 am

well, some small good news:

I´ve now tightened the Locknot from the back (they were VERY loose!!!) and it got a little better...but not good enough! The pressure pads are alright!

And if I tighten more I´ll propably hurt the neck I think!

So any other suggestions? Well, the strings were the first thing I checked, I´m not an idiot, but also no luthier ;).

I also read that a wrong angle could cause these problems, too! The knife edges are ok as far as I can see it.

And the guitar IS brand new!

So please help, maybe Mikey can or some tech admin or somebody...

HELP!!!

miker

#5 Post by miker » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:50 am

The guitar is brand new? Did you buy it from a local guitar store? They usually have a guitar tech if you did... take it back to them and have them make it right.

I have a brand new 2004 7VWH and I can get pretty radical with the trem and it stays in tune very well... so what is going on with your edge-pro is definitely NOT normal.

Have the store fix it or get you a new guitar... should be under warranty.

Lucky

#6 Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:06 am

NOT, those allen screws should be good and snug. If you feel that you'll damage your guitar by tightening any more then take it to the shop and have them check it out.

BTW, I understand that the new prestige series Ibanez gits have two screws mounted top-side (like the old Kahler locking nuts). What year is your guitar? Is it N.O.S.? Has it been sitting around in a showroom being used and abused? Where did you get it? More info! :wink:

GTR-MAN

#7 Post by GTR-MAN » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:10 pm

NOT!!! wrote:well, some small good news:

I´ve now tightened the Locknot from the back (they were VERY loose!!!) and it got a little better...but not good enough! The pressure pads are alright!

And if I tighten more I´ll propably hurt the neck I think!

So any other suggestions? Well, the strings were the first thing I checked, I´m not an idiot, but also no luthier ;).

I also read that a wrong angle could cause these problems, too! The knife edges are ok as far as I can see it.

And the guitar IS brand new!

So please help, maybe Mikey can or some tech admin or somebody...

HELP!!!

It's probably your trem studs as I'm sure they are non-locking since Ibanez stopped using them since 2003 I believe. I has a similar problem with my 7VWH too and I found it to be that the studs were moving. I bought some locking studs from Rich at Ibanezrules.com and my problem went away. Try that, I hope that helps.

Lucky

#8 Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:53 pm

GTR yeah man but he said he tightened the nut from the *back* of the neck. That would indicate he has an older model. 2002, mebbe? Didn't Ibanez switch to the top-mounted nut screws in 03 or was it 04?

miker

#9 Post by miker » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:55 pm

Rich did a write up on the edge pro's loss of the locking stud on his IbanezRules website (look for it, if you are interested -- not hard to find)... 1st generation had a bit of a problem but the newer ones are surprisingly good. So if this is a 2004 or 2005 model, that's not it... maybe with a 1993 or sumpin...

If you knew a lot about adjusting the trem, you would have fixed it without having to ask for help. If the guitar is under warranty, it is totally foolish to start trying to fix what sounds like a fairly major problem without getting them to make it right (i.e., adjust it properly or get you another new guitar).

If you start cranking on the allen screws, it really is not that difficult to shear off the heads if you overtighten them.

You shouldn't have to deal with this type of problem on a new guitar... unless you are sure about what you are doing. If the guitar is old and had no warranty, then adjust away... but hell, what is a warranty for anyway?

Allen Garrow

#10 Post by Allen Garrow » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:36 pm

Yeah, I agree with Gtr man,,, check out Ibanezrules.com and check the set up section and see if any of that will get you where you need to be.

Neck tension needs to properly dialed in, strings need to be stretched, spring tension is a bitch sometimes. Knife edges can have a small flat spot on them which would cause a hang up on both ends of the #/b. Depending on how dirty it is may affect it as well. I like to give my knife edges a shot of Sewing machine oil every few months or so.

If it get to be just to big of a pain in the arse I will trade you a RG1527CB for it... just to get it off your hands :)

~A

GTR-MAN

#11 Post by GTR-MAN » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Lucky wrote:GTR yeah man but he said he tightened the nut from the *back* of the neck. That would indicate he has an older model. 2002, mebbe? Didn't Ibanez switch to the top-mounted nut screws in 03 or was it 04?
I have a 2003 VWH and the nut does tighten in the back, and it's got the edge pro w/ non-locking studs... well it did til I changed them out and put in locking studs. I had the exact problem, NOT!!!, is having and it was because my 2003 JEM7VWH came equipped with an Edge Pro trem w/ non-locking studs.

Non-locking studs are NOT stable as they have a tendency to shift back and forth depending on how you use the bar(diving and/or pulling up). Some are worse than others. My 2003 UV777BK had the same problem, but not as bad as my JEM. I changed the posts on that too and the problem went away on that as well.
Also Trem angle can be a factor, make sure it's level with the guitar. Another thing that helps is plain chapstick on the knife edges... go to Rich's site he explains ALL !!!

Go to Rich's site ibanezrules.com , he knows all about Ibanez guitars and guitar set ups in particular. He can help you figure out what your problem and solution is. He's a nice guy and usaully quick to reply. Good luck.

Allen Garrow

#12 Post by Allen Garrow » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:58 pm

GTR-MAN That really sucks. If that is the case ( I've just been lucky ) I wonder why Ibanez decided to do that? Cost? Couldn't have been that big of a cost savings.

What a bummer. The new trems are awesome but if that is happening what a crock! You've got a great trem but it will eventually wobble and flop around like a giant Donky Dink,,,,and if the only fix is a trem post mod? Why the hell take it away. Again I find myself as being lucky then that I have not had that problem as of yet. And have questioned the validity of it. I've researched this issue at the jemsite and have found a re-occuring theme of dissappointment. Well maybe I'll be trading my non modded 1527 for hard tail...... Time will tell.

~A

GTR-MAN

#13 Post by GTR-MAN » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:07 pm

I believe that's what it was, cost. It's stupid that they cheap out on something like that with their flagship guitars. I think the locking studs are $44 from ibanezrules.com.

StoleN GuitaR

#14 Post by StoleN GuitaR » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:57 pm

ax murderer wrote:well for a start, it may not be the guitars fault. it sounds more likely that the strings just need stretching in. on my 7VWH, the strings always go flat/sharp for a bit once i've changed them.

also, is the guitar brand new? if not, or even if so, check that the locking nut is all in good working condition. if there is any wear, or if parts don't align quite right, it may as well not be there at all.

as for the trem angle, this shouldn't effect how well the guitar stays in tune.
heh, i thought you were going to say, its not the guitars fault, it the players..

just so you know.
almost ALL floating bridges constantly go sharp/flat when new strings are in. because they havn't stretched properly yet.
When you rest your hand on the bridge, it WILL cause the strings to go slightly sharp.

when tuning a floating bridge guitar. the higher tension strings(G B E) are the strings that are causing the whole guitar to go sharp

so when Tuning your floating bridge. tune it like this(in the order of the numbers)

E 1
A 3
D 5
G 6
B 4
E 2

continue this until your guitar is fully intune.
and after you LOCK your Lock-nut. make sure its not so tight that it flattens the strings.(because this will cause them to become weak and snap)

Lucky

#15 Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:19 pm

GTR-Man, I know from Jemsite that people were either having problems or worried about problems with those non-locking studs. If you had the exact problem with the same guitar it sounds like you're on the right track.

Also, I agree Rich is a great resource. I got my DBK from him....a 2002 w/ locking studs. :wink: