Gary Moore's comments about G3

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
pozydhar

weapon wrote:
Bono wrote:All I'm going to say is that if he doesn't like G3, it's his loss...
What's he losing? He doesn't like it, so what? It's not mandatory to like G3.... :roll:
Exactly. Vai doesn't dig Bach as much as others - I'm sure you'll go tell him how wrong that is.
brainpolice

Hell. I DONT LIKE G3 either.
There i said it.
acoates

pozydhar wrote:Gary Moore is a legend. Most of you don't even know his work beyond 'Still Got The Blues', so do yourself a favor and check out his fusion work and his metal stuff. He has chops, feel and tone to die for so instead of bashing him and making fun of his looks, the guitar players here would probably only gain something by checking his stuff out.

Remember, it's his OPINION.l If you all tell me that you don't feel strongly negative about an artist (such as Korn, Yngwie or whoever) then you got to be kidding me. He doesn't have to be politically correct if he doesn't want to, i'm sure YOU ALL know what i'm talkin' about :wink:

And oh, if you think the blues is "easy to play", then you have my condolences in advance.

- Pozy
thats cool but i think the thing people take exception to is not the fact he doesnt like g3 so much as the way he seemed to be saying that because he thinks its rubbish then its true. some people dont like g3 thats fair enough but usually they understand that everyone takes away something different from all art.

just to blast it out of the water and say "i think/know such and such, that means its useless" isnt right on any level, especially where so much talent is involved. he used his position as a guitarist to completely slag off other guitarists using sarcasm as someone else pointed out. surely it would have been better to just say g3 doesn't really do anything for me without digging into it.

gary is awesome but he could have phrased his opinions better
pozydhar

acoates wrote: gary is awesome but he could have phrased his opinions better
agreed
Guitars Rock!!

I don't think he ment it as hard as it might look on paper. Here is an excerpt from an interview in Guitar Magazine Vol.15 No.4 August 2004:

"A guitar album like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai? I wouldn't know how." Gary Moore sits back and and considers the idea. " I'm from a different school," he says. " Theirs is a more intellectual process to music. I don't have that. I'm not that smart. I play from feel, from the gut. Everything I've ever done has been what I felt like doing at the time."

So he thinks Vai/Satch is intelligent and makes smart music, and that he plays more from the heart.

I like Vai's music better that Moore's on most days (I have all the cd's with both artists). But I actually think Moore has a point. Some of Vai's material is played from the heart and all of it has soul.
But he thinks alot more about the technical side of things too.

We may be human, but we are stil animals.
acoates

I would agree that gary plays from the heart an awful lot but i wouldn't agree that steve or joe play from the heart any less, its just they use their technical knowledge to express themselves better and in ever more varying ways. Gary does what he knows, which is great but i feel steve or satch are better able to communicate emotion without the need for words. Steve says that he hears the music in his head long before he picks up his guitar to make it come to life, it all comes from within him and its not mindless twiddling at any point.

I dont think gary necessarily has anything against joe or steve but maybe hes just sick of being compared to/asked about them by now, and his reply to the question has been met with much criticism as a result. i stand by my earlier point that he just could have phrased his opinions better.
Guitars Rock!!

I agree with what you're saying 100%

By the way, Gary has always been saying (even in the 80's during his hard rock era) that he doesen't like to be compared to the "real" technical proficient shredders.

I think the reason Gary doesn't like Vai og Malmsteen's music is because it has no element of blues to it.
When you think about it Gary loves the blues, and alwas has and will be a blues player. Even in his most heavy hard rocking tunes there has always been an element of blues in his playing.
acoates

Yeah thats very true i think, and you'l probably notice that he doesnt lay into joe at all i dont think in the original interview in question, maybe because hes got a more blues feel in more of his songs?

we still love ya gary
davemeetsworld

Its a shame really because i always thought gary would be a perfect candidate for a G3, the 97' tour was particuarly bluesy. Oh well, there you go!
acoates

i dont know that he would work even if he loved the idea, g3 suggests much more instrumental pieces. although maybe he'd be the one to change that i dont know.

what does everyone think?
Birdman

I don't know why the blues is being classed as something less than anything else in terms of ability needed to play it etc. I'd love to be able to play half of what Gary does, so I'm lost on that side of it. It would be good to see the whole interview though, as small takes on quotes etc can be very misleading. On the other hand, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, so if Gary dislikes Steve's music or whoever's , he can. I have no problem with that. 8)
acoates

The interview in question was a question and answer and only one question on the subject was put forward, and that was gary's full answer.

as has been said we all agree gary is entitled to his opinion but he just makes it seem almost like a case of sour grapes by dismissing g3 style music just because he doesnt like it. He's free to say he doesn't like it all he wants but to say they cant write songs (which is basically wrong because steve launches into i know your here straight after his solo spot) is just taking it too far. It was the way he phrased his opinion as a complete authority on the subject.
slide1995

Gary Moore is a very talented guitarist and I like his music, but now I just have a little less respect for him, because he had to shoot his mouth off. Didn't his mother teach him that if he doesn't have anything nice to say to keep his mouth shut?

He obviously does not get it! Very narrow-minded.
Allen Garrow

:lol: Didn't Gary Moore write a song once? :lol: I used to think the "end of the world was the greatest peice of music ever written,,then I learned how to play it. Still cool,,,but what's up with the slack he's given? Maybe it's time for Gary to bring it to the table?

~A
hopeless

Well guys, yea it comes from envy most probably.. but yet, alot of criticism from most people about yngwie.. i think he definitely playes fast and stuff but yet his "fast" is good and touching . i cna sense the feeligns in his songs and the way he flirts with his scalloped neck guitar.. i think we should check out his +ve side as well..and for vai, i think he's good enough not to be criticized.. and the G3 is for the show and fun of the audience... they integrated the fun and music in the G3 as usual