my encounter with THE MAN [vai and the guys]

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Lycanthrope

its 2am - i won't rattle on about everything as i have sleep to catch up on... but i will get it all out of me while its still in my mind.

Basically, i was a lucky winner of an aftershow pass offered on this website. At this point id really like to thank Mikey or Steve, or Steve's Management...whoever initiated that idea really.... molto bene! it really has put me on cloud nine and was a genuine cherry on top to such a great show.

ok - the show:

incredible - i was situated pretty much in front of Billy Sheehan and Dave Weiner. What can i say about Vai and Billy..it was my first encounter with both of them..being in australia, acts like these don't come very often.

Most of what i saw was just pure outstanding showmanship - i mean these guys really know how to make the audience go 'wow'...they're just giants, kings among men... they came out on stage while Colson was on the drums for the first song. I mean, the image i saw of vai and sheehan and their interaction was just like, alchemy [for lack of a better chemistry] I just saw every magazine cover, every rock pose, every "vai and billy" scenario flash before my eyes when they came out - like i said, Giants..they're just electric. It was an incredible sight - to see people doing things that ONLY THEY can do in the whole blue world, is just, overwhelming i guess. I honestly felt i was looking at two young guys in the prime of their career, there's just a youthful air about those two when they're together - nothing short of great chemistry.

I won't go into set-lists... i just don't feel like it - to me what vai plays and chooses to perform is fine by me - i love listening to him play, it doesn't really matter what song it is.

Anyway, ill wrap this part up with basic notes - The sound was a bit strange - i was at an area of the stage [at a venue notorious for bad sound] and it was very difficult to hear tony at times and sometimes even steve or dave. But no biggy - really a minor qualm.
The performances by all the members where tighter than.... ill shuttup. But you get the idea -

ok - fast forward. the aftershow session.
I'll say that for the past week, or better still, since i found out i was eligible for a pass, ive been thinking of witty questions, funny quirky scenario's.... cool, awe-inspiring words of wisdom. It pretty much all goes out the window when you're in a room filled with eager-beaver musicians and hardcore fans who just want their pictures taken and cds signed.

Needless to say - i was nervous as anything... people were approaching these guys who i have idolised since ive discovered this niche market of music and just going "man, that was fucking incredible!.." ... me i don't know, i clam up and i just get all humble and wierd... i could never be so...hmmm verbose? in front of those guys... but thats just me and im a little different ;)
I think most of the musicians sensed that... the first person i spoke to was Tony - i play a carvin guitar and it was very important for me to get my backplate signed by this absolute mammoth hero - he was very kind, as i said , i was a wreck and he had that aura and feeling.. you know, you walk away feeling as though you've made a friend [ok not that deep, but you know what im saying]. I got a nice photo with him and for a first encounter i must say, he gets a thumbs up! genuine class :)

next, i lined up for vai.... now this was serious stuff.. i mean, i can only think of the comparison of say Steve meeting Hendrix, or Jimmy page... or something... this is a real moment in time. I have this little 'to do list' of stuff to do before i die - and this was in my top 5, this was important.

Naturally i choked up... i sort of smiled and went bright red, i think he knew i was nervous. I don't want to sound egotistical, and i think im safe to say it, but i think the guys were tired, i think steve might have just been craving some rest... in any case, people [myself included] are very annoying and overbearing sometimes. I had this big elaborate scenario in my mind of striking up a conversation with this great character while no one was looking and just really, .... have a good chat.

Well, people were all over him - and im a pretty shy character, so i kept it short and sweet. I happened to mention to him that id read his fire-garden stories and really enjoyed the one about Dyin Day [probably my favourite S.Vai song of all time]. He seemed to really appreciate this - he told me something to the effect of that i was the first person to ever bring that up to him..he seemed surprised that i had read it - and till the day i die, i will thank my lucky stars that i have an interest in creative writing - if this is my only connection with 'the man'... then man, i could die a happy dude tomorrow.

i thanked him..smiled in my usual awkward, embaressed, inspired fashion to which [in my mind] i recieved a really warm outpouring from him - i mean he only smiled back, but it was as though his heart opened up like a magic box ... it was a real smile and real expression, something camera's aren't able to capture - and if this msg happens to get back to him - i hope he knows it meant the world.

to my own surprise - i even walked away, stopped, recalled what had just happened whilst browsing some recently signed cds...and get this... i actually sighed to myself, just like in a movie... i was so impressed - i looked up and this girl saw me doing it and she was smiling... i felt very special - all that stuff about Steve's aura is so true - the guy is 10ft tall, he's just such a cool man.

cloud nine guys...cloud nine.

i didn't want to bother the guys any further, so i decided to just take a step back and look around - my good mate was speaking with Dave Weiner [ a really cool cat] and we got him over with Jeremy Colson for a photo [another very cool cat]... so i won't post that up here because technically it isn't my photo and i don't want to betray any trust.

So we were talking with dave and jeremy about stuff...real 'stuff' you know.. it was great, and it felt great to just be natural with such giants and just chat. That was a really positive experience.
To my [and my friends'] surprise, Jeremy is actually the old drummer from a top band called "Dali's Dilemma"...we're both big fans, and so all these great feelings were compounded by being able to get first hand info from Jeremy.

id better leave it at this - ill close by saying it was magic tonight - the show and the smiles after... this one will stay with me for a long time.
I should also add that Brett Garsed, the warm-up act, was fantastic - really wow - i expected a great performance from him because im familiar with his work, but his show was also a smash and a pleasure to watch. I highly recommend you check out his cd "Big Sky"

and so .... 2:29am....we will end.
Final comments:

thanks again to the organisers - thank you to steve, tony, billy, dave, jeremy - this stuff must get awfully repetitive show after show, but ... it still makes people like me feel special.

hope this didn't bore anyone to tears...i know i write like a bit of a fool and get long winded - but like i said, i am on a high..and if i can't act like a teenager now, then when can i. :)

cheers to all!
sleep well, sleepies
yon.
Pro-string strummer

wow dude, I hope you never forget that HAHA it doesn't seem like something that you will, but good job and it's great that you appreciate his art that way, alot of people do and wouldn't be able to type it out in such a great way like you jsut did, keep playing! later

PS after you sighed... that girl that saw you, was she hot?

-Jeff
GreenMeanie

So glad to hear that you had such a magical evening! Steve is a magical man!

Joanne
jemgirl

i agree joann steve is magical and.... a gentle-man.

greetings,

patricia
Mitch1616

Pro-string strummer wrote: PS after you sighed... that girl that saw you, was she hot?
haha yea, was she? cause if u realy wanted to act like a teenager that night, u could have put the moves on her 8)
Ramma

lol Meeting Steve Vai and Sex with a hot chick.. Sounds like a perfect night to me
Lycanthrope

actually the girl was really beautiful - i think she might have been with someone though.

i didn't include it in the 'article' but id actually fainted during the show, i was in the middle of the audience who were standing and suddenly i started blacking out...dehydrated... anyway, sex was the last thing on my mind needless to say ;) [not that im some casanova who could tune a random/nameless girl..hehe]

cheers to all! thanks for reading my 'little' story :)

yon.
Pro-string strummer

I loved every second of it HAHAH
Mitch1616

Lycanthrope wrote:actually the girl was really beautiful - i think she might have been with someone though.
pfffff u think that matters? i mean come on! so what shes with someone?! if ur gonna act like a teenager {Vai} + {"Somethin somethin" with random hot chick who u dont have to worry about beeing faithful to after that night} = PERFECT night 8)

haha j/k.....well anyways, it'd be perfect if she wasnt with someoen :P
Pro-string strummer

you should have knocked him out and taken the prize :wink:
jem555

Wow dude !

You really worded that well, you painted a great picture of what must have been a magically evening.

I'm somewhat envious :lol: :lol:

Nice one fella
ROCK KITTEN 76

yeah reading that i can totally relate to being choked up stood before Steve. no not at all boring
by the way theres quite a few things I can relate to.
One of my dear friends spoke to me on the phone just the other night..he said you got your dream come true..and i still can't believe it

so warm hearted and benevolent this was for me a memorable occasion and you know you will spend the rest fo your life smiling each day at this..
i have to say since that night i briefly spoke to Billy and congratulated Dave on a truelly great new album

Billy wow Billy hey I liked him before the show i liked him even more meeting him and now i absolutely adore the guy because he took time out to say hi after in a reply to my email..i was made up as he can't really reply, or though he does promise to read all of his mail,Never mentioned it before i did'nt want to push peoples noses out .... but, aww it was a lovely mail back..another great memory to be kept :wink:

Rachy
meepish
Newcomer

I understand about the nervousness! I met him after the Melbourne show, and I don't think I really managed to get two sensible words together in a sentence!

I was getting a guitar signed for a friend, and Steve asked if it was mine and I immediately set off rambling incoherantly (as I do when I'm nervous)

I think he probably gets that a lot though. He just smiled and signed the guitar (and backed away carefully whilst looking for the nearest exit!)