If Weird Al Would Do any Parody....

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
The Prez

What would you want him to do? I'd like to see him do MEtallica or something heavy, a heavy metal song. Perhaps some Zappa, although that is already funny by itself. Prince is another he tried to parody but didn't get permission to do.
RAI

I think he should let someone else put a parody of HIM on his next album.

Just a thought.....
Ryan Layton
Banned

if i remember correctly, i think i heard that it isn't 100% nesicary to get permission to parody a song. he just does it so he doesn't make any enemies. remember Amish Paradise? Coolio didn't give him permission to do that and got all pissy. he did not sue or anything. i don't think he could have. if you do in fact need permission to parody a song, then you don't need it to do a parody video.
Moderator777

Ryan Layton wrote:if i remember correctly, i think i heard that it isn't 100% nesicary to get permission to parody a song. he just does it so he doesn't make any enemies. remember Amish Paradise? Coolio didn't give him permission to do that and got all pissy. he did not sue or anything. i don't think he could have. if you do in fact need permission to parody a song, then you don't need it to do a parody video.
If I remember correctly, Al got permission from Coolio's record company. Coolio apparently didn't approve of it but by the time the song was out, it was too late to voice his opinion. Plus, it's not Coolio who owned the songs, it was his record company.

Al needs to get permission from the owners of the songs to parody them, as long as he makes money off them.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Wierd Al parked next to me at the bank yesterday. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but I just found it kind of funny seeing him driving his BMW around with a serious look on his face.

I guess I just expected something more wacky. Like hydraulics on the BMW.. or at least large spinning zircon-encrusted rims with cheesy airbrush art on the hood.. or something...

Mikey :)
vai.com
jem555

Mikey wrote:Wierd Al parked next to me at the bank yesterday. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but I just found it kind of funny seeing him driving his BMW around with a serious look on his face.

I guess I just expected something more wacky. Like hydraulics on the BMW.. or at least large spinning zircon-encrusted rims with cheesy airbrush art on the hood.. or something...

vai.com
C'mon Mikey, are you sure that isn't what you want on your car!!!! :lol:
ROCK KITTEN 76

weird al yankovich does...

MEGADETHS SYMPHONY OF DESTRUCTION

i'd pay to see that one!! :lol: :lol:
sonny sixshooter

which would then be named: "Cacophony of Instruction"...
Ryan Layton
Banned

If I remember correctly, Al got permission from Coolio's record company. Coolio apparently didn't approve of it but by the time the song was out, it was too late to voice his opinion. Plus, it's not Coolio who owned the songs, it was his record company.

Al needs to get permission from the owners of the songs to parody them, as long as he makes money off them.
thats right...

my bad
summer_sky

Moderator777 wrote:
Ryan Layton wrote:if i remember correctly, i think i heard that it isn't 100% nesicary to get permission to parody a song. he just does it so he doesn't make any enemies. remember Amish Paradise? Coolio didn't give him permission to do that and got all pissy. he did not sue or anything. i don't think he could have. if you do in fact need permission to parody a song, then you don't need it to do a parody video.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
i remember the story the same as does Mod777.

i really like Coolio's 'Gangster's Paradise', it's a great song, and thought Yankovich did a fine job of the parody, but for some reason it just doesn't set well with me. maybe, because i grew up very close to large Amish communites. it annoys me when the Amish are made the topic of controversy or are being made out to be a humorous anomaly of society. i have lots of respect for the Amish way of life.
The Prez

I think Coolio got mad because Amish Paradise, plus "Bad Hair Day" did so well.

Mikey wrote:Wierd Al parked next to me at the bank yesterday. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but I just found it kind of funny seeing him driving his BMW around with a serious look on his face.

vai.com
Do you see famous people a lot, besides Vai and friends? Weird Al was one of my favorite musicians as a kid. If I saw him in real life, I'd actually wouldn't say anything, just to give them respect. BTW Summer SKy, you should never take Al toos eriously, he also respects them. And fat people too. :wink:
summer_sky

The Prez wrote: Do you see famous people a lot, besides Vai and friends? Weird Al was one of my favorite musicians as a kid. If I saw him in real life, I'd actually wouldn't say anything, just to give them respect.
BTW Summer SKy, you should never take Al toos eriously, he also respects them. And fat people too. :wink:
hey, Prez, don't you know that all famous people in LA know each other..... i mean, jeesh, they all use the same banks and grocerers and manicurists, etc... :wink:

yeah, i know not to take Wierd Al too seriously. i love his parodies... 'Eat It' is really a good one, too. when i watched that VH1 Wierd Al Yankovich biographical-type show a few years ago, i got the sense that he's a nice guy with a big heart and good soul. it's my own personal sensitivity....maybe over-sensitivity.... about the Amish being made to be in the spotlight. it goes fundamentally against the Amish doctrine to draw attention to themselves and to be made a spectacle. that's all.
GreenMeanie

summer_sky wrote: it's my own personal sensitivity....maybe over-sensitivity.... about the Amish being made to be in the spotlight. it goes fundamentally against the Amish doctrine to draw attention to themselves and to be made a spectacle. that's all.
I have amish family so I understand your feelings.

Is Weird Al going to make anymore CD's? Weren't his parents murdered this year?

Joanne
Reaper

I think a parody of November Rain would be sickeningly hilarious.
The Prez

His last cd "Poodle Hat" came out in 2003. His parents died of a carbon monoxide poisioning this year. He is still touring, I plan to see him august.