TOOL

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Magmas

Hey there guys, I was wondering what everyone here thinks about the band Tool. I hated them for the longest time, thinking they were just dark metal and all I had heard were the radio singles. However some of my friends are huge tool fans and forced me to listen to a lot of it. I have to say, it has grown on me more than I think any other band or musician I have ever encountered, except maybe vai. :) The thing I love about Tool is that unlike bands such as dream theater, who come together to form something that is a very good representation of the sum of its parts, Tool comes together to form something completely beyond the sum of its parts. Also, Maynard's lyrics are some of the deepest writing you will find as any lyrics in any time period or genre; they work on multiple levels and he hides metaphor within metaphor and yet still makes the lyrics simple enough for them to make a comprehensive story. What do you guys think?
SPDMTL

Tool cool! :wink:
777?

i love tool, i really wish maynard would spend less time on a perfect circle and get back to tool...
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Tool is amazing. All their albums are stellar, but I'm a big fan of Lateralus. Amazingly drum-heavy stuff.. Danny Carey is amazing :) Maynard is one of rock's best singers.

Mikey :)
vai.com
Opus131

Magmas wrote: Also, Maynard's lyrics are some of the deepest writing you will find as any lyrics in any time period or genre;
They are ?!?
Magmas

Read "The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life" volumes one and two, then tell me what you think about tool's lyrics. Have you ever been to tool's site? Their message board is swamped with crazy over analyzations of tool songs.

For instance (and this is not necessarily the lyrics, but vocals in general): In the song "Lateralus" from the album "Lateralus", when the vocals first come in they are repeating syllabically the fibonacci sequence. 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc... for infinity. "Black | and| white are | all I see | in my infancy | red and yellow then came to be |" and then back down again. This is just one of many very interesting uses of sacred geometry in their music. But remember:

Over thinking, over analyzing seperates the body from the mind; withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind!
tim_knox

wow that is quite interesting. Hey its a system that actually can make vocalist/lyricists think out of the box of everyday redundant ways of singing. By taking a system not even from music and applying it to music and creates some real variety and spices it up. Kinda like how lots of musicians play and create melodies on instruments other than guitar to get them out of the standard guitar way of thinking of a melody and makes them actually come up with new creative lines and runs that might be very difficult but will make them improve even if they are Vais etc.

This reminds me of the systems in the past eras that involved chance to determine the progression of a song. I cant remember the name of the style however. But it came up with some really unique stuff.
Magmas

Well the coolest thing about the fibonacci sequence is that it IS the harmonic series mathematically. So it is just another manifestation of the system that is apparent at all levels of the universe, organizing cells and galaxies in similar geometric patterns. Music is just the sound representation of these numbers and patterns, like a shape or drawing is the visual representation. Would thought be the same system, simply applied to a mental state? Many questions, many answers. :)
tim_knox

Music is just the sound representation of these numbers and patterns, like a shape or drawing is the visual representation.
I think it is more like the other way around. The system of numbers and intervals, scales, harmonies, etc. came from a certain way(Western) of looking at music. Music isn't the sound that represents the numbers, the numbers represent the sound, because it is a way of classifying like how society classifies everything in order to make it more of a science so people can easily figure out what should sound good etc. Some cultures do not even care about scales and modes or anything like that but just go by their ears, and their feelings/moods.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

By the way, the working title for the track "Lateralus" was 987 - because of the repeating measures of 9, 8 and 7.
Opus131

Magmas wrote:Read "The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life" volumes one and two, then tell me what you think about tool's lyrics. Have you ever been to tool's site? Their message board is swamped with crazy over analyzations of tool songs.

For instance (and this is not necessarily the lyrics, but vocals in general): In the song "Lateralus" from the album "Lateralus", when the vocals first come in they are repeating syllabically the fibonacci sequence. 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc... for infinity. "Black | and| white are | all I see | in my infancy | red and yellow then came to be |" and then back down again. This is just one of many very interesting uses of sacred geometry in their music. But remember:

Over thinking, over analyzing seperates the body from the mind; withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind!
Pure pretentious drivel from the sound of it...
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Opus131 wrote:Pure pretentious drivel from the sound of it...
Thanks for your meaningful input. :roll:

What's pretentious about music that continues to unfold the deeper you dig?
Opus131

Mikey wrote:
Opus131 wrote:Pure pretentious drivel from the sound of it...
Thanks for your meaningful input. :roll:

What's pretentious about music that continues to unfold the deeper you dig?
It unfolds ?!?
Opus131

tim_knox wrote:
Music is just the sound representation of these numbers and patterns, like a shape or drawing is the visual representation.
I think it is more like the other way around. The system of numbers and intervals, scales, harmonies, etc. came from a certain way(Western) of looking at music. Music isn't the sound that represents the numbers, the numbers represent the sound, because it is a way of classifying like how society classifies everything in order to make it more of a science so people can easily figure out what should sound good etc. Some cultures do not even care about scales and modes or anything like that but just go by their ears, and their feelings/moods.
Ditto.

Music is a function of language, not cognitive reasoning...
tim_knox

I think, however as well as many distinguished composers have, including Schoenberg (who founded serialism and worked in Aleatoric music) that there can be some really fun, interesting ways of creating music that isn't always from mood or feeling. When you put tonality and progression to chance, things turn out interesting and different.

I feel that music is an expression, and using different methods of constucting a piece, including chance, a certain mathematical sequence etc., is a form of expression.

I think in reference to the usage of the fibonacci sequence that it is really creative and takes music out of the realm of redundancy and although they created their own lyrics and music, the form of the piece is revolved around a mathematical sequence, i think it is not only thought provoking but very respectable.