How did you get your practice discipline?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Mikael Nilsson
Newcomer

How did you get your practice discipline?

#1 Post by Mikael Nilsson » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:07 am

I am kinda lazy: I say that I am going to do a bunch of things, but I never really do them - I have bad discipline. How have you gotten your discipline in learning all what music concerns? Teach me!

Plook

#2 Post by Plook » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:19 am

You've gotta want it. And you'll do whatever it takes to get it. This means sacrifice.

You have to make it a habit.

If you have trouble getting down to practicing, try goal setting for a shorter time period. Try 1 hour then keep that up for a bit then add another 20 mins for a week then another.

When it comes down to it, this is what makes the difference between the "real deals" and the "wanna-bees."

So stop wasting time and go practice.

tappingg3

#3 Post by tappingg3 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:49 am

"How to gain discipline", by tappingg3
Tutor of world-wide known artists such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci.

1. Go to your nearest video store and buy the sickest video you can find;
any DVD with Vai in it should do it .

2.When you feel "lazy" open your DVD, press the open button of your player and insert the disc.

3.Watch for about 30 minutes.

4. Go back to your guitar and try again.

5. If it doesn't work then your just not in the mood to play guitar.

It didn't work with my students(pieces f s**t) but I did this for a week and now a play for almost 6 hours a day.

Note: The DVD can be replaced by an Audio cd.

jmchambers5

#4 Post by jmchambers5 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:04 pm

i went to school with a bunch of awesome bass players, and joined a band that plays at least 15 hours a week. thanks to the intense environment at school i practice at least 2 hours every week day by myself and several more in combos and stuff. factor in time spent in lessons and music related classes, listening to music, and thinking about it, music is all I do. I spend a lot of time at school with nothing better to do than practice, so i practice. Thanks to all that, pretty much all i do these days is music. Here's my advice:

1. surround yourself with better players. they'll push you to practice if you even want to keep up, and if you want to be the best, you've got to practice like crazy.

2. put your self in situations where the best thing you have to do is practice. when i'm at school and have nothing better to do than practice, i practice. if i want to be lazy, i practice piano or don't focus on what i need to be practicing.

Mikael Nilsson
Newcomer

#5 Post by Mikael Nilsson » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:54 pm

Good tips! Thanks for the advice!

QuickLicks&HotSticks
Newcomer

Young grasshoppa

#6 Post by QuickLicks&HotSticks » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:44 pm

If it isn't in you.... then you're not going to beat it out of yourself. It's a dead issue. But, if you can actually feel the music that you listen to (not the lyrics) then there is hope. I am working with my 6 year old son right now who as a very short attention span and I have found that letting girls watch you play works very well, maybe try appealing to your ego. But in all seriousness, go to your local music shop and pick up a Digitech RP-50, it has a built in drum machine that has like 20 or 30 beat patterns. It'll be the best 60 bucks you can spend. Just learning chords is boring and repetitive at first, but with the drum machine it makes it alot more fun, even my 6 year old will tell you. Also, you might try picking up an Ibanez Playback device, you plug straight from your guitar into the recorder and it lets you hear how you are doing. Some people are born with it and others just need a jumpstart. I think you are probably somewhere in between. Just have fun with it and before long it won't be something else for you to have to worry about doing, it'll become a passion. 8)

lobba

#7 Post by lobba » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:05 pm

tappingg3 wrote:"How to gain discipline", by tappingg3
Tutor of world-wide known artists such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci.

1. Go to your nearest video store and buy the sickest video you can find;
any DVD with Vai in it should do it .

2.When you feel "lazy" open your DVD, press the open button of your player and insert the disc.

3.Watch for about 30 minutes.

4. Go back to your guitar and try again.

5. If it doesn't work then your just not in the mood to play guitar.

It didn't work with my students(pieces f s**t) but I did this for a week and now a play for almost 6 hours a day.

Note: The DVD can be replaced by an Audio cd.
I do that to it relly works, its a great stuff to do to get in the right mood=)

Simon

#8 Post by Simon » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:30 am

Totally agree with the surrounding yourself with better players thing. I have always been into writing songs but have always been in bands where it was only me writing. I have never written anything that I was that amazed with. Then the other songwriter in my new band came up with several tunes that the rest of the band liked a lot more than the crap I was coming out with. This totally made me raise my game! I didn't realise how competitive I was until this happened and I spent ages trying to come up with perfect melodies and hooks and I have recently come out with some amazing stuf!!

You have to want to be THE BEST!!!

SkinnyDevil

#9 Post by SkinnyDevil » Fri May 14, 2004 5:50 am

Some people have discipline and drive from within...others require a framework imposed on them. That's cool - people are different. If you're among the latter, the best thing you can do is admit it to yourself (which you seem to have done - so that's half the battle).

Sooo.....go get a teacher. Or, even better, get a teacher for weekly lessons AND get a workout partner. I teach hour-long group classes in addition to private lessons. One of the cool things is that, more often than not, you see a "buddy" thing happening in class. Those buddies start getting together outside of class - like workout partners at a gym - and they "train" together. It keeps them both motivated and both training hard.

Plus, you find that playing for 3 or 4 hours goes by in a flash!

Another suggestion: Play while zoning out to TV. Try to copy the jingles or the theme songs or the backing tracks. Good ear-training and keeps the guitar where it belongs: In your hands!

Maybe you could drop in and let us know what works for you?

Victor
Newcomer

#10 Post by Victor » Sat May 15, 2004 12:44 am

There are times where you sit down, let your mind be free and six hours later realised just what had happen. There's also days where the guitar just sits forlornly collecting dust. Always try search for something new, it'll give you more drive in playing and something to aspire to, there's no point in forcing yourself if you don't enjoy it.

Anyway, my rant lol

Vaiper

#11 Post by Vaiper » Sat May 15, 2004 1:19 am

I don't practice that much. Just whenever I can, but I can usually be found with earphones on working out songs in my head. I've learned a few satch and vai songs that way, most recently i jsut learned Iron Maiden's No More Lies.

ShawShred

#12 Post by ShawShred » Sat May 15, 2004 10:39 am

This may not work for you, but it has driven me to become a better player, and I now practice longer, and more focused then I did before.

1. Pick yourself up a copy of Live at The Astoria DVD, and watch it until you feel inspired to practice.

2. Get a copy of Steve Vai's 30 Hr. guitar workout, and follow it's teachings.

For me all I needed was a good practice layout, like what Steve has written in the article. I no longer felt like I was just doodling around aimlessly for 2 hours. Now, do what I said and get inspired. :D

ILOVEDeNiro

#13 Post by ILOVEDeNiro » Sat May 15, 2004 7:17 pm

i have no discipline concerning guitar practice.

but my #1 love is singing :D la la la!
so playing my guitar just goes along with singing - & i enjoy it (no matter how much i suck at guitar :lol: )
so mainly i play chords to my favorite songs eg. Beatles, U2, Bowie, Radiohead, Pearl Jam etc.

this is why i gotta get myself an acoustic!

mentalist

#14 Post by mentalist » Sun May 16, 2004 11:14 am

Decide a regime and stick to it - plus I agree with what some of the other guys are saying - surround urself with other great players and ull want to keep up.

Oh and the whole watching Satch, Vai, Malmsteen etc can be a really good motivator but be warned it can also be really depressing - watching someone with such awesome technique, composition etc.

Personally, I have to force myself to stop playing the F***ing thing or I just end up falling asleep on the guitar and miss my school bus in the morning. Oh well, obsession will be obsession.

ILOVEDeNiro

#15 Post by ILOVEDeNiro » Sun May 16, 2004 11:15 pm

mentalist wrote: Personally, I have to force myself to stop playing the F***ing thing or I just end up falling asleep on the guitar and miss my school bus in the morning. Oh well, obsession will be obsession.
don't worry about the bus, keep up the good work :)
take your guitar on the bus with you, buy one that is that crappy that you not worried about taking it to school :wink: