Anybody seeing Prince in LA tonight?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I'll be there on the floor. Any one else from the forum going?

Peace,

Mikey :)
vai.com
Snake

NO! I like Metal :twisted:
RAI

Ah, that's probably where you are right now, Mikey....
Lucky bastard!
:lol:
Plook

Will you be standing or laying? JK.

Dude, if I were to have won the lottery this weekend, ( got 4 of 7 numbers ) I'd have been there for sure.
dex

You lucky bugger.
The 3rd disc of Emancipation has been on repeat in my CD player for close to a week now.
Last week disc 2 had the same fate and the week before it was disk 1.
I'm moving to Exodus next.

Let us know how it went.

ilia
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

The show was spectacular as always and Prince's singing and guitar work was flawless. It was very cool because the show was in the round, and Prince made a real effort to spend equal time on all sides of the stage.

His band was whip-crack tight, and sexy as hell. And with Candy Dulfer on sax and Rhonda Smith on bass, it was even sexier.

The second set featured Prince doing an acoustic guitar set and was incredibly cool and made such a large venue feel really intimate.

So Dex - you're listening to Emancipation Disc III? That's my fave disc from the album. There's something very cool about the track "The Human Body." It's some of the coolest deep Chicago House with a Minneapolis flavor. It makes me wonder what the unreleased dance album Prince recorded (called New World) sounded like.

"Style" is also cool. And I think Prince's vocals on "Da, Da Da" after the rap section are so funky.

And of couse the guitar solos buried in "Style" and "Joint 2 Joint" are amazing.

And Prince's coiver of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" is sublime..

But enough gushing. Prince rocks. Any record collection is incomplete without him.
Tone Capone

I really have not heard any Prince since the early 90's. What would be some good cd's or videos to buy?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Go and pick up Emancipation.

It's three hours worth and you can find it pretty cheaply. It covers a huge range, and every song is fairly stylistically different.

The "Gold Experience" and "Come" are also two of my faves from the 90s.

Peace,

Mikey :)
vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

oh.. and it's hard to find, but Prince released a video called "The Undertaker" which is a rehearsal session filmed live. Lotsa good guitar work by Prince on there...
VirtuSign

Mikey, u knew i would be in this thread, ha.

I'm going to the Boston show on Aug. 18
Hey Mikey, How is the new album "Musicology"?
Was Dr. Vai able to go? or is going to one?

For u cats that are not up to date, i recommend "The Black Album" which u will have to get used, but is amazing, though it wouldn't be for the general listener.

Prince has always "Had It", its just that he changes so much, not many can keep up.
if u want a great album thats pretty recent, "The Rainbow Children" is amazing.
EyE

Prince is a great, great musician, composser and person. I realy like his work. But still haven't seen him live. :evil:
So Mickey, was Candy Dulfer really in the band? How do you like her playing. Just currious, because she's also from Holland and played with Prince a couple of times. Overall, i believe it was a great show hearing it from you.

BTW, knowing Steve once gave his white Universe to Prince, I read once that Steve heard on a Prince bootlegg that he played "Tender Surrender" in one of his shows. Do you know if that is true and if so, have you ever heard it? Would give anything to hear it.

John
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Yep, Candy's in the band. She's great. I've had her records for a long time - ever since she did the sax solo in Prince's "Partyman" back in 1989.

Yeah - I've heard "The Park" - that's the disc where Prince plays what sounds like Tender Surrender.

Steve was actually at the show on Monday, but I didn't see him. I'm sure he had a great time. :)

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
GreenMeanie

Mikey were you there for enjoyment or work? Or both? I know that is a dumb question but what do you expect I had 2 hrs of sleep last night. Little one has severe stomach flu and then gets up this morning to her betta fish Stevie dead.

J
JDouglee

Mikey into Prince? Wow you have a big world! Very cool.

2 Words: Return of the Bump Squad. Ok 5 words. Funkiest Prince live show from the GOLD era, complete with Michael B on da drums!

Saw the LA show at an Edwards theater in OC...P sang his ass off.