How does Malmsteen do that sustaining sound?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
u2

Today i just saw this mini promo clip of Joe Steve & Malmsteen saying hello to the camera and there was this mini preview which shows Malmsteen going on his knees and holding his fender up high with 1 hand and the sound just keeps buzzing....

I have been posting a similar question but regarding Edge of U2 with his Gibson Gold Top Les Paul. At the end of Until the End Of The World , Edge 's gold top will just keep buzzing and Bono will kick the les Paul several times. btw Edge is far out in the centre of the heart stage setup and there isn't any pedals there.

This effect is caused by pedal?
FinnJ

what you`ve got to remmber dude is that these are are playing with there amps turned way up, so if you`ve got a decent guitar in the right circumstances it with feedback light a Mofo

bono rules :)
u2

Hmm...how about Edge's situation? Even though the Les Paul has really good sustain , i never used it or even held it before...can it really that sustain sooooooo long?

http://www.woopop.com/showpics/u2_05-31-01_13.jpg

although u can't see it in this picture,Edge is really far away from his amp.
Zebula77

Umm, it could be just feedback?

But if it isn't, it could also be a delay effect. That would be my bet, anyway.
matt_cater

i'm sure he's not too far away from his monitors though ;)
satch uses the same trick and even pin-points with tape where to stand to get the best feedback from his monitors
u2

Umm..moniters? As in the computer screens? :roll: :?
RAI

No, as in monitors (speakers intended for the person on stage...).
Feedback is the way to go.
The Satch thing with the tape is a good way of knowing where the sweet spot is. Of course, they have to change it for every venue, as the sweet spot may move.
For a perfect example of the sweet spot, check out the first G3 dvd, or the Live at Astoria. Steve shows it off perfectly.
Like always...
:D
u2

RAI wrote:No, as in monitors (speakers intended for the person on stage...).
Is it the same as blow back speakers?
RAI

I'm not familiar with the term "blow-back", but it sounds like it would be the same thing. There are usually the "wedges" in the front, and some regular speaker cabs on the side, and some behind the drummer.
And then there is the new variation, in-ear monitors...
But they kinda don't work for feedback.
Unless you really crank 'em up, and stick your ear to the pickups.
:D
u2

I saw this picture of this rocker standing in front of his marshall amp rack playing his guitar...umm....will he get deaf?
Vaiper

Slash does that a lot, he ususally wears earplugs or sumthin though. or was that someone else im thinkin of
u2

does ear plugs bring the volume down or prevent "excessive" sound waves from reaching the ear? i wore ear plugs yet i still hear everything around me clearly
Vaiper

yeah they cut down the harsher soundwaves while allowing you to hear everything ok
Logic

If I am not mistaken Mr. Malmsteen™ did this at the G3 with all the string ripped off his guitar!! There may have been one string left. He had some old lookin stuff up there. Leslie pedals for base notes, stuff with dials, knobs and he also uses older Marshall amps. Hundreds of them :shock:, all with older strats tuned to Eb, although, one was tuned to E for the last set.
Last edited by Logic on Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

It doesn't matter if you play a piece of shit of a guitar. If you have a loud amp playing, strum a chord and don't stop it. When you get a nice feedback, change position carefully and you'll get another feedback. That's what Vai and Satriani do.