Who's ripping off whom?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
TongueNGroove

I hear all the time about how musicians are being ripped off because people Download music, but you NEVER hear about how the consumer is being DOUBLE even tripple charged for the SAME Music.

If I buy a cassette tape of P&W then I buy a CD of P&W have I not been charged TWICE for the same product? Sure they are different formats, but it's the exact same product. And what if I lost a CD or scratched it or broke it? Guess what, I get to buy the exact same product again!

If I want to upgrade from cassette to CD I should NOT have to pay full price for a CD that is over priced in the first place. CD's cost less to make than Cassettes, but cost nearly twice as much! Hmm wonder why consumers are feeling robbed?

The music industry needs to embrace the technological world instead of fighting against it. If they could keep track of my last Cassettes purchase and upgrade me to CD for $2 then that would be OK. If I scratch my CD and I need a new one I should be able to replace it at cost, not have to pay the first time purchase cost!

In other words I should be able to buy the same music at a discounted price since I already paid for it the first time. I should not have to pay FULL price just to replace what I have already paid for.

The same goes for Software. The same goes for ANYTHING that only has to be produced once and can be profited from for eternity. For instance, a guitar has to be produced every single time someone buys one, however a song only has to be produced ONCE, then it can be copied for eternity with little or no effort. Why should I pay for the original production more than once?
Plook

I guess because they have something you want. They can charge what they wish.

I've felt this way before. I've bought the tapes of artists and had them for years, then felt I wanted the better sound quality so I had to drop the same amount I paid for the tape and now I get the cd.

The whole thing is a load of crap really. But think about it this way...

The record company is taking a risk on an artist and they give out money up front in the hopes this artist will sell enough cd's to pay for the initial investment. Say a label has 12 artists under it's belt, 3 or 4 may actually make money. The other 8-9 may not. This is where the stress of signing that "next hot artist" comes into play.

It's a risk and since they put up most of the risk, they should reap the benefits. To a point.
jmchambers5

Supply and demand dude. the reason tapes are cheap is becaus no one buys them. They can either sell them for cheap or discontinue them altogether. The record industry definately doesn't make enough money off of tapes to stay alive, but selling tapes does help to add some on top of what they make on cds, their bread and butter.

I understand what you're saying about upgrading from tape to cd, but keep in mind that it is just that, an upgrade. When you upgrade you pay more because you're getting a superior product. As far as having to rebuy CD's that get scratched, it's within your rights to make back up copies of music you own be it on the computer or a cd or whatever for your own personal use, so it's your job, not the record company's, to take care of that. For that matter you could convert tapes to cd format if you wanted.

Don't forget that the record industry is a business. I love music, but you can't lose sight of the fact that there has to be money in the business. Their job is to make money, not make sure you don't have to pay twice for the album you scratched, or give you a free upgrade because technology changed.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

TongueNGroove wrote:I hear all the time about how musicians are being ripped off because people Download music, but you NEVER hear about how the consumer is being DOUBLE even tripple charged for the SAME Music.
When you download music, you ripp off the music industry. Since the artist only gets a small ammount from every disc sold, your doubly ripping of the artist when you download instead of buy.
If I buy a cassette tape of P&W then I buy a CD of P&W have I not been charged TWICE for the same product? Sure they are different formats, but it's the exact same product. And what if I lost a CD or scratched it or broke it? Guess what, I get to buy the exact same product again!
So when you totall your car, you have to buy another one. Same diffrence.
If I want to upgrade from cassette to CD I should NOT have to pay full price for a CD that is over priced in the first place. CD's cost less to make than Cassettes, but cost nearly twice as much! Hmm wonder why consumers are feeling robbed?
Yes, you should pay the full price. Don't get me wrong, I agree on the part that cd's are overpriced, but only because the artist sees so damn little of it I'm willing to pay the amount a cd costs right now, if I knew that it supported the artist more than some beancounter right now.
The music industry needs to embrace the technological world instead of fighting against it. If they could keep track of my last Cassettes purchase and upgrade me to CD for $2 then that would be OK. If I scratch my CD and I need a new one I should be able to replace it at cost, not have to pay the first time purchase cost!
So next time you want that same deal for your car, right? That's not how it works, and it's not fair towards the artist.
In other words I should be able to buy the same music at a discounted price since I already paid for it the first time. I should not have to pay FULL price just to replace what I have already paid for.
The same goes for Software. The same goes for ANYTHING that only has to be produced once and can be profited from for eternity. For instance, a guitar has to be produced every single time someone buys one, however a song only has to be produced ONCE, then it can be copied for eternity with little or no effort. Why should I pay for the original production more than once?
Because you're free to make personal backups. And if you fail to do so, than you ultimatly have to pay the price. It's not the software or music industries responsability to supply in that.