I don't like Van Halens Music

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Ramma

Actually here's truth. At first, I didn't like Van Halen BECAUSE of Eddie Van Halen. I mean, this was a long time ago, like years. I love and appreciate Eddie's playing now and he's actually probably my 5th favorite guitarist.

Van Halen also happens to be my favorite band right now next to S.O.A.D. which is kind of funny considering I didn't like them at first. I guess it just works like that sometimes
guyzif

It just shows that peoles taste's in music change which is fair enough.
ShawShred

yes, I'd much rather listen to a SRV cd :)
earthh

ShawShred wrote:yes, I'd much rather listen to a SRV cd :)
I would have loved to hear Stevie and Ed jamming some Blues
ShawShred

Stevie and Jimi would have always been great too...
Junebughunter

ShawShred wrote:Stevie and Jimi would have always been great too...
You know I heard about this thing called G3 where 3 or even more of the greatest guitarists ever get together and jam. Wonder if it's true 8)
ShawShred

Too bad 2 of the greatest are dead.
badhorsie551

I dont know whats not to like about Van Halen.

Its great rock music that has just about everything, Fun music/fun lyrics/good musicianship/GREAT SONGS.

My dad always tells me the story of me being 2 years old and watching MTV at my grandma's house and "jump" was on the tv. It got to the chorus and i started jumping up and down. He also said i used to bang my head to Quiet Riot's "bang your head". LOL

I didnt really start getting INTO Van Halen last year, I was looking for some interesting *new* music for me and i stumbled into my VH best of CD i bought when i was trying to learn the essential "eruption" tapping part.

I was hooked by them , I really love just about every album all the way through except for Women and Children First and III.

Its the way EVH writes......his songs make me feel good and they are really uplifting.

And if you ask me EVH and VAI have a very very similiar style to their playing but Vai took it up another notch. Just look at the way Steve wrote PRE- DLR era. And then after....i find alot of similiarities in their music. Maybe im just a wacko , but hey i got some good music from both of these guys that make me feel good. (vai and van halen are the only two bands that i know of that pretty much ALL their material makes me feel good in a sense).
guitar_love

hey, yeah i get what your saqyin there dude, although im a fan of his music i appretiate the fact that u recognise him as a great player...

I tried to say once that i didnt enjoy jimi hendrixs music, lol i had the whole board after me!!!

peace
Viper

Yeah, I appreciate Van Halen's playing but I'm not really a big fan of the music... I hardly ever listen to it. I think I could possibly say the same for Hendrix.
kenny_u

to each his own
Sandyman

ShawShred wrote:Do any of you reach to the Van Halen cd's because you love their songs as a whole, or do you just enjoy his guitar playing? Just a thought.
I couldn't appreciate music in which only ONE instrument is doing fine. I mean, the other instruments have to be good too! And the singing of course. In Van Halen, everything was ATOMIC. On studio albums, I can't decide between David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. In live shows, however, Sammy is the king. Have you seen the Van Halen live-video in Tokyo 1989? Fan-fucking-tastic, man!

But anyway, I like their songs as a whole. I must admit, not everything they did is good. But they composed a FEW songs that are absolutely brilliant (and yes, that has something to do with the guitar-chops). A few of my favorites are Outta Love Again, Could this be magic?, Top Jimmy and 5150. These songs are excellent from start to finish and are very, very original.
ShawShred

"I must admit, not everything they did is good"

Yeah but can anyone really pull that feat off? I s'pose the beatles problem came the closest in my mind...

"Have you seen the Van Halen live-video in Tokyo 1989?"
No but I watched The Stevie Ray Vaughan boxed set DVD yesterday with my surround sound rattlin' and shakin' the house, and that was pretty neat...:) I s'pose I'll have to borrow that video from my teacher.

Also, Don't you find DLR A bit annoying though? Those high pitched squeels of his really bother me :)
Sandyman

ShawShred wrote: "Have you seen the Van Halen live-video in Tokyo 1989?"
No but I watched The Stevie Ray Vaughan boxed set DVD yesterday with my surround sound rattlin' and shakin' the house, and that was pretty neat...:) I s'pose I'll have to borrow that video from my teacher.
I thought the subject was Van Halen. I am very happy for you that you have a SRV boxed DVD set and a surround sound DVD player, but that's all beside the point. It seems to me that you regard this discussion as a contest or something. You have every right not to like Van Halen. I for example don't like SRV.

*** God only knows, and He ain't talking ***
ShawShred

I'm sorry I don't see the competion mate. Sorry if It offends you that I am a fan of SRV and you're not... I won't ever mention him again in a post where you have posted.

I thought this was a post about Van Halen not about your shitty complaints towards me. :?