I don't like Van Halens Music

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
ShawShred

Now this will probably raise some hell with some people, but that isnt my intention. I have been listening to Van Halen a bit again lately, and I've realized that I don't really like their music...Now Eddie was an amazing player, both rhythmically, and lead dont get me wrong, and I understand his influence but....I don't really like their music.. Do any of you reach to the Van Halen cd's because you love their songs as a whole, or do you just enjoy his guitar playing? Just a thought.
Moderator777

Edit - added subject title. Please don't post with no subject title text.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Massacre

I love both, Well the old stuff is really good as far as guitar work goes. The stuff from 91' through 98' where just good songs.
Zebula77

I love their music as well as the guitar-playing. I basically started listening to VH before I even touched a giuitar, so it wasn't purely for the great solos.
Of course, evntually I wanted to learn how to play guitar and EVH became the main reason I picked up the guitar. I guess these days I listen to VH most for the guitar playing. My taste in music has changed a bit.
dex

ShawShred wrote:I don't like Van Halens Music
Then don't listen to it.
Free country and all that........... :wink:

ilia
Melodic Dreamer

Well the songs I like I really like and the songs I dislike I really dislike. There is one album though that I love all the way through and that album is "Balance".
davester1234

s'all good to me :)
guyzif

Balance for me is my favourite VH album. It's the only one where the solos are really great and the songs of truly excellent quality.
bob mac

dex wrote:
ShawShred wrote:I don't like Van Halens Music
Then don't listen to it.
Free country and all that........... :wink:

"Nuff said......
earthh

wtf?

It's time for a lynching!
:)

I just think that Ed was a musical genius, and had music flowing in his veins. I just was listening to 'somebody get me a doctor', and kept relistening to the solo, again and again.

I know of very few solos that have a life of their own like Eddie's do. Django had that catchy ear and so did Metheny. The stairway solo is like that, but I haven't heard any one lately who has as much of a gift as Ed.

He might not be able to play changes like Holdsworth but Alan couldn't do what Ed could either.

Thanks for the music Ed!
ShawShred

"Then don't listen to it.
Free country and all that........... "

I certainly never said that I have continued to listen to it, or felt like I had to. I dont generally spend time listening to/ or doing things that I don't enjoy. Obviously I had to check it out to know if I liked it or not, and thats all the time I've spent listening.

Great guitar player though.
gypc

I was there in the beginning of VH. When I 1st heard them, It was a new music. The reason why I say "a new music" there's was no sound like this ever before. It wasn't just Ed's guitar or DLR's voice or MA's bass and backing vocals or Alex's snare. It was the fact that these 4 guys came together and created something that has never been (but) from something that always was. More than just frisbee throwin music yet not so far out that it's not understood. 2 other bands did this in my opinion....Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd. What I'm trying to say is VanHalen was a band that passes by every thousand years or so and I'm grateful I was around for it!!
Junebughunter

I like some stuff and don't like other stuff. I find that there albums are best listened when trying to pass time at work. I don't like it so much that it distracts me from my work, and it is good enough to keep me entertained.
mange

So you don't like Van Halen's music... too bad for you.
Stella

Van Halen's music changed my life, literally!!!

My first rock concert was the 1984 tour, I was fourteen, enough said? :wink:

I think it must definitely be a 'generation' thing...