Satriani & Coldplay settlement

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
EddieVanHalenRocks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8258217.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GYiakoumi

Coldplay also claimed Mr Satriani's song "lacks originality" and should not receive copyright protection.
...are you fucking kidding me?
lydian2000

Why did he drop the complaint then?

I have no words... It's amazing how original Coldplay songs are indeed!

just disgraceful.

:evil:

:peace
PortlandAxe

Yep, this is nothing new.

It reminds me of Coldplay's "Talk", versus Kraftwerk's "Computer Love".
emericavox

i was hoping he would win =/
notavirtuoso

Either there was a financial settlement or the other song that predates Joe's (I think it was a Mexican artist but can't remember) was too damaging to his case to continue.
Trinity777

Very interesting.

I was hoping Joe would win this case. However I was some what dissapointed that Joe dropped the case. Then I thought about it, one of 2 things might have taken place, his lawyer told him to do so because it might not even be worth the time nor the money to do so, or case and point, it is very possible to have 2 people come up with the same ideas around the same time. Depending on who put that out there 1st is questionable.

In Joe's defence, I feel that is more going on behind this story than being said. Everything has a way of coming out in the wash, and I hope Joe will be well compensated.

Tretiniy777 8)
MikeB7070

Well that bums me out. Originality?!? All of Coldplay's songs sound the exact same, for cryin' out loud. The only reason they gained the popularity they did was because Martin's fortuitous marriage to Gwenyth Paltrow, and their tendency to sound like an elevator music version of U2.

As a disclaimer I will say I do like a couple of their songs, I just think they are a bunch of wankers. :D
wasoota

MikeB7070 wrote:Well that bums me out. Originality?!?
That argument refers only to those segments that constitute the similarity, not the entire song. The BBC is quoting the argument incorrectly. When one side claims copyright, there is realistically no other defense other than claiming that the similarities constitute elements which for themselves are not original enough to be copyrightable.

But wow, Howard E. King, Esq., apparently didn't even get as much out of it for Satriani as youtube did. An 'official' admission of similarity by the defendants (or, failing that, at least a joint statement to that effect) while maintaining that is was apparently coincidental would have been the least, I would have thought. Here it's just quietly withdrawn.

Seeing as King was gloating, publicly joking and giving interviews every step of the way this far and has suddenly gone silent, I have a hard time imagining there was very much in this settlement for Satch. Besides, even if there was, financially, he initially claimed they stole his baby ("arrow through the heart, blabla") and this was all about principle not money, and now he takes the money and quietly slips out the back door?

Of course it's amazing how the first half-million or so in attorneys' fees can sometimes change your outlook, but as far as settlements go, this is about as close to losing as you can get (short of not getting any compensation, which is impossible to tell).

To Satrianis credit though, it takes courage to question your initial course of action and call it a day. It's just too bad he didn't see this coming before the great Howard E. King, Esq., and his crew sucked a truckload of cash out of him. May it serve as a warning for others.
notavirtuoso

It could be that winning was never Joe's intent. I remember you questioning the timing of the announcement (same day Coldplay was announced as being nominated for a Grammy for the song) so maybe it was more of an expensive fuck you to Coldplay and a plea for a win in the public opinion arena. In the end there's no telling and it doesn't look like we'll be finding out. Hats off to you for calling it though.
al

"Satriani dropped the case. Now he can get back to his guitar solos full of random notes he doesn't know."

that was my favourite one...

but go to - http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showth ... 978&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a scroll through the moronic unknowledgable bad attitude of the fans of the band some people call coldplay, its ridiculous!

some people are just douches

+ a forum with no signature restrictions!? tacky!
MikeB7070

I did understand what "originality" meant in the context of the lawsuit, just simply pointing out the absurdity of it all. :D

I'd be interested to know Joe's take on the situation.
atlantakat

I can't imagine Joe wanted to bring suit in the first place. And fighting over "principle" can quickly lose its appeal.

Whatever the terms of the settlement, it is too bad that Joe settled without any public acknowledgment from Coldplay. As noted by a poster above, an acknowledgment of similarity between the songs (with Coldplay reiterating that they did not copy from Joe) would have been nice.

Still, Joe probably has better things to do than give depositions and attend court hearings. Its also unclear to me how much of this suit was driven by his label -- Joe's record deal may require him to take action if the record company believes there is infringement. Or the record company could have had a lot of influence on whether to reach a settlement and on the terms.

Catch Joe at a Chickenfoot show. He's doing fine, playing great and has a great gig. Life's too short to screw up with lawyers.

And I'm a lawyer. :)
b2

Good.

And good happiness stuff to Satriani. May the creative force be with you.
Can't wait for next Satriani solo album, whenever that may come.
Bryceybhoy

There was no chance he was going to win, so can't say this comes as much of a surprise.