Did Steve Vai rip off Van Halen?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
budt
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:11 am

Pi2plank wrote:& btw would somebody confirm this.. there was this online rock radio i listened to yrs. ago where i dont know what rock song was it but then the bassist & guitarist had a duel.. & i was thinking w8 a sec. that playing could only be billy sheehan.. then the guitarist shreds & there's that tapping i know it could only come from steve because the way he does is that its so clean & it just had his name written all over it.. anyway the shredding goes on & then a part of 'eruption' was played.. i was like omg.. i did see the playlist & it was steve vai.. 'twas a live concert btw.. could somebody confirm this that steve did play parts of eruption in some concert..??
On the Eat 'Em And Smile tour, Steve quoted a bit part of Eruption that is actually public domain. Let me explain. In Eruption, EVH uses a tiny phrase from Rodolphe Kreutzer's Etude #2 ... a classic violin piece. That little lick has been quoted before, even in Bugs Bunny cartoons. So no, no theft there ... Steve is doing Eddie doing Rodolphe. Harmless little bit of fun.
User avatar
cbr1000f
Member
Member
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:37 am

Pi2plank wrote:...EVH did not know how frank got his number.. frank called & he went to frank's place...
If you want to hear a funny story about Eddie coming to Frank's house, you should definitely look at this excellent vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiVV3sb36aY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pi2plank wrote: ... there was this online rock radio i listened to yrs. ago where i dont know what rock song was it but then the bassist & guitarist had a duel.. & i was thinking w8 a sec. that playing could only be billy sheehan.. then the guitarist shreds & there's that tapping i know it could only come from steve because the way he does is that its so clean & it just had his name written all over it.. anyway the shredding goes on & then a part of 'eruption' was played.. i was like omg.. i did see the playlist & it was steve vai.. 'twas a live concert btw.. could somebody confirm this that steve did play parts of eruption in some concert..??
Yes Steve played a part of Eruption in his solo part during the DLR days. He also played a Crossroads part in it.
What you heard on that radio show was probably a part of the concert from december 1986 in Inglewood.
But that's all the info you get because bootleg discussions aren't allowed on this message board! ;-)
Steve also did a transcription of Eruption for Guitar Player.

A picture from the DLR-days:
Image
There are lots of them on Billy's site :)

But back on topic I guess. I think both Billy & Steve have a lot of respect for Van Halen and for me it was always obvious that they enjoy playing some Van Halen kinda music (as a tribute). I never thought of this as a rip-off. I think Eddie would agree :wink:
User avatar
cbr1000f
Member
Member
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:37 am

budt wrote: On the Eat 'Em And Smile tour, Steve quoted a bit part of Eruption that is actually public domain. Let me explain. In Eruption, EVH uses a tiny phrase from Rodolphe Kreutzer's Etude #2 ... a classic violin piece. That little lick has been quoted before, even in Bugs Bunny cartoons. So no, no theft there ... Steve is doing Eddie doing Rodolphe. Harmless little bit of fun.
You're right and Eddie's not making a secret of this.
This is the Kreutzer part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdGHHq3k90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

al wrote: check out jaboom and stv's scuttle buttin

similar?

no :lol:.

Of course does everybody rip everybody off. If you know Steve and don´t know SRV stuff, you´ll think Jibboom is cool and Steve is the greatest. If you know SRV and listen to Jibboom you propably think it´s a ripoff and not so cool. Steve just does like everybody else. Taking influences and using them. The thing is, you don´t know all of Steves influences, like that you don´t know what else is a ripoff. That´s how it goes and it´s fine ;).

Some ripoffs are even hidden very well, which makes you a good musician.
EddieVanHalenRocks
Member
Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:46 am

cbr1000f wrote:
budt wrote: On the Eat 'Em And Smile tour, Steve quoted a bit part of Eruption that is actually public domain. Let me explain. In Eruption, EVH uses a tiny phrase from Rodolphe Kreutzer's Etude #2 ... a classic violin piece. That little lick has been quoted before, even in Bugs Bunny cartoons. So no, no theft there ... Steve is doing Eddie doing Rodolphe. Harmless little bit of fun.
You're right and Eddie's not making a secret of this.
This is the Kreutzer part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdGHHq3k90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was spot on, even the tone was near enough perfect
User avatar
lydian2000
Member
Member
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 am

al wrote:everyone rips off everyone

but maybe he was influenced by it and wanted a similar song and this question has been asked a few times



check out jaboom and stv's scuttle buttin

similar?
Steve said in the Astoria DVD comment that jibboom was a tribute to SRV.


:peace
User avatar
cbr1000f
Member
Member
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:37 am

lydian2000 wrote: Steve said in the Astoria DVD comment that jibboom was a tribute to SRV.

:peace
It's also in the liner notes on the cd booklet :wink:
Pi2plank
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:47 pm

thanks for the info guys...

i just listened to van halen's 'baluchiterhium' ...instrumental song, is it just me or does it sound like a steve vai song, even the tone is vai-like :D
User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm

checkmate
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

Pi2plank wrote:thanks for the info guys...

i just listened to van halen's 'baluchiterhium' ...instrumental song, is it just me or does it sound like a steve vai song, even the tone is vai-like :D

you know, that´s the point. Steve went into Eddies mind and made him play his songs so nobody suspects he´s actually from venus.
T bird
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:18 am

Let's not forgett Eddie Va 8) nhalens contribution, Icons live through all of us. As a fan I've read that Mr. Vai seriously repects Eddies craft, let's not let inspiration destroy the gift.
Pi2plank
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:47 pm

check out Baluchitherium and Giant Balls of Gold :D lol @ 'checkmate' haha :D
User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm

bloody f# minor
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am

just to complete the selection once more, a song from him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8kM2vLt374
Post Reply