Did Steve Vai rip off Van Halen?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
-Acid-
Newcomer

I'm a huge fan of Vai, and I'm not accusing him of anything, I'd just like some opinion on this...

Steve Vai - The Audience is listening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BXIGibJ7k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Van Halen - Hot for teacher

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...teacher_extreme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First of all, the most obvious similarity is that there both set inside a school.

But if you watch closely enough, you'll see there's a lot more than that, in terms of the overall sound direction Steve's song is hardly any different. The drum intro in Van Halen's is replaced with extreme Whammy bashing in Steve's. The intro's are almost identical starting at 1:36 in Van Halen's and 1:25 in Steve's. Same Country blues style, same tempo, same rythem... The solo's sound similar as well, although the notes aren't technically the same... I remember Vai doing some Van Halen covers with Roth back in the 80's, maybe it was just a source of inspiration?

Of course this is just idea, i doubt he did actually copy Van Halen. But you can't deny that it's ****ing similar!
Bryceybhoy

Frankly I don't see it.

But Chris Martin? Well, that's another story....
Samuele

I guess Steve was asked about the references to the 'Hot For Teacher' video in the past.

I think he was inspired by the idea behind Van Halen's song, of being a kid playing the guitar in front of your classmates and teacher. But the two stories evolve in different ways, and there's also a huge difference between the two teachers, anyway!

You made me recall the first question from this interview, too:
http://www.ink19.com/issues_F/99_03/ink ... _vai.shtml

"Q: "You use lots of weird codes and secret messages in your music. Have you ever seen the secret message in Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" video? What am I thinking, you were in Dave's band... Woops."

A: spooW!"

For the record, I don't think Steve ever ripped off anybody, maybe it was just sort of a "hat tip".
church_builder1980

It's called a fast shuffle, and this kind of style has been done by far more artists than Van Halen and Steve Vai.
-Acid-
Newcomer

church_builder1980 wrote:It's called a fast shuffle, and this kind of style has been done by far more artists than Van Halen and Steve Vai.
An example would be?
Big Bad Bill

They're both boogies so they have the same 'vibe' but that's about it. On the other hand, hasn't anyone ever noticed the similarity between the opening chords of 'I Would Love To' and Van Halen's 'Panama'?
teokiatuan

Big Bad Bill wrote: On the other hand, hasn't anyone ever noticed the similarity between the opening chords of 'I Would Love To' and Van Halen's 'Panama'?
holy shit i just noticed
nice find
EddieVanHalenRocks

I doubt he copied it, it seems to be quite a common theme. Steel Panthers video to "Death to all but metal" is the same kind of idea.
al

everyone rips off everyone

but maybe he was influenced by it and wanted a similar song and this question has been asked a few times

check out jaboom and stv's scuttle buttin

similar?
RAI

Steve said that he always liked fast boogies like "Hot for Teacher", so that's why he did "The Audience....".
cbr1000f

RAI wrote:Steve said that he always liked fast boogies like "Hot for Teacher", so that's why he did "The Audience....".
Yeah and so did his "DLR"-brother-in-crime; Billy Sheehan.
Billy played a few similar pieces with Mr.Big: Colorado Bulldog, Addicted to that Rush,...
"Shy Boy" that Billy wrote for Talas fits right in the list.
These are typical fast & energetic fun tracks and it's always good to have them in your live setlist.
prman

And how about "Juice"? It´s a fast boogie, allright.
Pi2plank

now speaking of EVH & steve, i know that they did jam back at frank zappa's house.. EVH has a vague memory of it but dweezil said (he was about 12 yrs. old at that time) EVH did not know how frank got his number.. frank called & he went to frank's place & steve arrived moments later cuz he was in frank's band of course.. & the green guitar was passed around.. there's probably no audio recording for this jam but wouldn't it be great to know whatever they played back there..

got this info from a guitar mag where dweezil interviewed EVH himself..

& btw would somebody confirm this.. there was this online rock radio i listened to yrs. ago where i dont know what rock song was it but then the bassist & guitarist had a duel.. & i was thinking w8 a sec. that playing could only be billy sheehan.. then the guitarist shreds & there's that tapping i know it could only come from steve because the way he does is that its so clean & it just had his name written all over it.. anyway the shredding goes on & then a part of 'eruption' was played.. i was like omg.. i did see the playlist & it was steve vai.. 'twas a live concert btw.. could somebody confirm this that steve did play parts of eruption in some concert..??
precario

Well, I just gave a listen to Boy From Seattle today and there has some parts written SRV all over. Influences and heroes are influences and heroes.
wasoota

precario wrote:Well, I just gave a listen to Boy From Seattle today and there has some parts written SRV all over.
Which is totally weird considering it's a tribute to Hendrix who was obviously a big influence on SRV. I mean, what are the odds?! :shock:
(j/k)

I honestly hardly even see any basis for an "inspired by" claim with Hot for Teacher and 'Audience'. The classroom theme was zeitgeist, the rest is two completely different songs. I always considered 'Audience' semi-autobiographical: the guitar kid in a world with little appreciation for those skills.

Anyway, I think "ripped off" is a pretty offensive term to use in this context.