:shock: 8 year old monster picker on youtube

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
RickyTy
Newcomer

has anyone seen the 8 year old on youtube improvising in some club? oh my god! at first it depressed me that this kid was so f@#&ing good but it soon gave way to inspiration and awe. this young man is gonna scare the sh$#@t out of alot of guitar players and is already chewing many up and spitting them out, me included. god damn it :cry: ! i take that back, i mean god blessed :) !
tom1325

is it the same kid that plays scarified by paul gilbert? if it is hes absolutly amazing, makes me want to give up guitar! :shock:
Jeries

I am in no way impressed by a musician by either their SEX or their AGE

Guitar is an instrument like any other, so an 8 yr old playing guitar at a high level or violin or oboe at a high level doesn't really impress me, while it is more typical to see someone at that age playing piano or something- the same skill can be attributed to the electric guitar- in fact the techniques are very difficult in some ways but also incredibly easy-
once you learn the techniques of the guitar its very easy to excel- and guitarists are very good at hiding how good they really are...

and people say OH IMAGINE WHEN THEY'RE XXX AGE HOW GOOD THEY WILL BE
thats not a good thing,.. when they're 15-20 they'll be not that much better than they are now and getting better from a really high level takes so much work for such little apparent/seeable benefit. not to mention they wont be much better than the 1000 other 15 yr olds in high school that play guitar

So i'm not impressed by an 8 yr old playing very good, i wish i was as good on piano as i was when i was 5 (although ive modeled by piano playing the last 5 yrs 100% on johnlennon/paul mccatneys piano playing)

Also just cuz a chick is playing guitar on youtube doesnt make her way better or super good- its just less typical.

Also the parents of a typical 8-12 yr old they're WHORING on youtube and local TV news stations are pretty metally fucked a lot of the time and will f-up the future of the kid and their career.

I'm from Phoenix, we have one of our own here
lydian2000

Jeries wrote:I am in no way impressed by a musician by either their SEX or their AGE

Guitar is an instrument like any other, so an 8 yr old playing guitar at a high level or violin or oboe at a high level doesn't really impress me, while it is more typical to see someone at that age playing piano or something- the same skill can be attributed to the electric guitar- in fact the techniques are very difficult in some ways but also incredibly easy-
once you learn the techniques of the guitar its very easy to excel- and guitarists are very good at hiding how good they really are...

and people say OH IMAGINE WHEN THEY'RE XXX AGE HOW GOOD THEY WILL BE
thats not a good thing,.. when they're 15-20 they'll be not that much better than they are now and getting better from a really high level takes so much work for such little apparent/seeable benefit. not to mention they wont be much better than the 1000 other 15 yr olds in high school that play guitar

So i'm not impressed by an 8 yr old playing very good, i wish i was as good on piano as i was when i was 5 (although ive modeled by piano playing the last 5 yrs 100% on johnlennon/paul mccatneys piano playing)

Also just cuz a chick is playing guitar on youtube doesnt make her way better or super good- its just less typical.

Also the parents of a typical 8-12 yr old they're WHORING on youtube and local TV news stations are pretty metally fucked a lot of the time and will f-up the future of the kid and their career.

I'm from Phoenix, we have one of our own here
+2 on all points.

:peace
Breeder

but the worst comments are...I AM GIVING UP GUITAR :lol: :lol:

come on...music is not a competition
Jeries

Breeder wrote:music is not a competition
yeah its a business and thats WORSE
Breeder

yea...if you plan to make money with it :P
me? no thank you...I will never make compromises and I don`t care who ever will care for me...if you can reach just one person...you know?

btw...western music is not all that is to it...music of the world is so much bigger...
Jeries

Breeder wrote:btw...western music is not all that is to it...music of the world is so much bigger...
yeah i'm arabic so i have been raised listening to eastern/nonwestern music- and i pretty much hate it- i like it rhythmically but melodically i find the scales and tones painful.

IN FACT i find 7th chords in american/western music very dissonant- unless i do something like a dominent V 7th chord down to the I chord i never use them

I hate 7th chords and rarely use them-
Breeder wrote:yea...if you plan to make money with it :P
me? no thank you...I will never make compromises and I don`t care who ever will care for me...if you can reach just one person...you know?
I think the exact opposite
anyone can write a 10 min guitar solo peice in 100 time signature changes that is complex and doesnt repeat itself- aside from the people in this forum the rest of the world tends not to like that kinda stuff

music is weird
it has to be complex but not too complex, easy but not too easy...
if its too complex its like dream theater-
and if its too easy its like a barneysong/nursery rhyme/twinkletwinklelittlestar and its boring

it has to be somewhere perfectly in between

writing a GENUINELY GREAT SONG is very difficult
to write something that can appeal to mass audiences is something amazing...to write a song that can cross generations and cultures and be timeless is genius-

So... to me, its all about 'the song' and the ability to write one song that can have that kind of power and appeal and acceptance of people and a HUGE audience is amazing.

me? no thank you...I will never make compromises and I don`t care who ever will care for me...
I've gone from loving shredding to almost having a distaste for it,
I did it when it seamed like no one else did (i'm 24 and got into the shredding thing like 2000-present)

My desire as a musician/guitarist/pianist/composer today in the rock music world...
100% commercially successful, radio friendly, fucking sell out music- and thats what i am currently persuing

the thoughts i have today would have made the 15 yr old me want to shoot myself- but its where i've grown as an artist.

There are guys my age that say 'oh if its on the radio it sucks' or 'the only bands that are good are ones YOU'VE never heard of'

I think the true test of a musician or composer is the ability to make something that can appeal to everyone. And DOING THAT is far more difficult than writing something dream theater/yngwie or playing 2 notes back and fourth with a metronome and taping it on youtube claiming you can play 50000 notes per second
Jeries

Breeder wrote:music of the world is so much bigger...
The music world is only as big as the isles at walmart that carry audio cds. thats where MOST people in america purchase music.
Breeder

Jeries wrote:
Breeder wrote:music of the world is so much bigger...
The music world is only as big as the isles at walmart that carry audio cds. thats where MOST people in america purchase music.

look...no offense, but I do not care for shops in America nor do I care where MOST people buy shitty music.In this day and age anything can be found and bought on the net.Who has enough will to learn and explore will find a way
Breeder

Jeries wrote:
Breeder wrote:btw...western music is not all that is to it...music of the world is so much bigger...
yeah i'm arabic so i have been raised listening to eastern/nonwestern music- and i pretty much hate it- i like it rhythmically but melodically i find the scales and tones painful.

IN FACT i find 7th chords in american/western music very dissonant- unless i do something like a dominent V 7th chord down to the I chord i never use them

I hate 7th chords and rarely use them-
I think the exact opposite
anyone can write a 10 min guitar solo peice in 100 time signature changes that is complex and doesnt repeat itself- aside from the people in this forum the rest of the world tends not to like that kinda stuff

music is weird
it has to be complex but not too complex, easy but not too easy...
if its too complex its like dream theater-
and if its too easy its like a barneysong/nursery rhyme/twinkletwinklelittlestar and its boring

it has to be somewhere perfectly in between

writing a GENUINELY GREAT SONG is very difficult
to write something that can appeal to mass audiences is something amazing...to write a song that can cross generations and cultures and be timeless is genius-

So... to me, its all about 'the song' and the ability to write one song that can have that kind of power and appeal and acceptance of people and a HUGE audience is amazing.

me? no thank you...I will never make compromises and I don`t care who ever will care for me...
I've gone from loving shredding to almost having a distaste for it,
I did it when it seamed like no one else did (i'm 24 and got into the shredding thing like 2000-present)

My desire as a musician/guitarist/pianist/composer today in the rock music world...
100% commercially successful, radio friendly, fucking sell out music- and thats what i am currently persuing

the thoughts i have today would have made the 15 yr old me want to shoot myself- but its where i've grown as an artist.

There are guys my age that say 'oh if its on the radio it sucks' or 'the only bands that are good are ones YOU'VE never heard of'

I think the true test of a musician or composer is the ability to make something that can appeal to everyone. And DOING THAT is far more difficult than writing something dream theater/yngwie or playing 2 notes back and fourth with a metronome and taping it on youtube claiming you can play 50000 notes per second

hey that`s all great...but where did I say I do not make compromises because I play shred music? :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I find shred pretty boring...as I said, there is so much more...

When I said I don`t want to make compromises I meant I do not want to work with anyone nor make music for certain audiences because they are many...

I will compose music that appeals to me and not someone else...if anybody else likes it it`s a bonus

and I LOVE 7th chords :lol:
lydian7

It never ceases to amaze me how many people become disparaged from learning an instrument simply because there are people in the wide world more 'technically proficient' than themselves.

Music is a tool of expression and is not a competition in speed or technical proficiency. When it becomes the later it becomes redundant as an art-form, and becomes simply a craft.

Give me soulful playing over technical proficiency any day.
Ultraviolet

Prodigy this and prodigy that,......society has gotten filthy with the gross misuse of the word

He has seen 8 years of lifetime experiences on this Earth. given that,.... Very Impressive ability and skill. How good his articulated and developed style makes me feel though,..... is how I remark about guitar players. I'm not really a fan of showing off robotic young children for bragging rights or exploitation, however impressive,....and the lad does impress me.

Ultra :)
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ultraviolet

writing a GENUINELY GREAT SONG is very difficult>> (That's debatable)

I think the true test of a musician or composer is the ability to make something that can appeal to everyone.(Bingo) And DOING THAT is far more difficult than writing something dream theater/yngwie or playing 2 notes back and fourth with a metronome and taping it on youtube claiming you can play 50000 notes per second[/quote]

>>> Perfect

Except you can't say that Yngwei or Dream Theatre are too technical to be Loved fully,.....you just don't feel their feel at the heart,..so you don't identify with those artists like other millions of people do, who DO have D/T's and Y.J.M.'s feel.

I Identify with Randy, Steve, Darrell, and Eddie, much as anyone can as a human.
I am sure I am not alone. I was raised on Frank Zappa(Dad's favorite), The Beatles, The Doors, Niel Diamond, and Ah Ha, Motley Crue Vanilla Ice, Mc Hammer, Elvis, Stevie Wonder, The Mamas and the Papas, The Beach Boys, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, John Denver, Billy Joel, and Madonna

Ultra :)
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeries

you put (thats debatable) about writing a good song is difficult- you know what i think you're right

some of the best songs ever were written effortlessly and in 10-15 min so maybe it is very difficult and/or very easy HOWEVER- it is very difficult to get to a great songwriting level.

i'm not saying yngwie and DT are too technical to be loved however it is too technical to be on the pop charts and played on the same station as Kanye West LadyGaGa Rhianna or Miley Cyrus

i love frank zappa
but for a different reason that the same way i love the beatles

i love zappa the person, his views on life politics religion everything
i also love his music- its not for everyone- you either get it or you dont and its unlike anything in the world- genus composer and really great to listen to-

but definatly not a popstar/popsinger