Renowned guitarist who don't use effects

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
boswell

Melodic Dreamer wrote: I know Richie Kotzen doesn't really use that much.

No?
I don’t need any overdrive pedals because the amps have plenty of overdrive. But I used a CryBaby wah, a Dunlop JD-45 Rotovibe, a Dunlop TS1 Tremolo, a Boss OC-2 Octave, and a Mesa/Boogie Revolver rotating-speaker cabinet.
boswell

Melodic Dreamer wrote:Robben Ford doesn't either.
Sparse yes..........but effects all the same.

boswell

Jeries wrote:Zakk
"MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"
boswell

Jeries wrote:John 5 have pretty SIMPLE rigs - i wouldnt say NO effects but still nothing on the lines of U2/THE EDGE.
Not so simple:
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah Pedal, Guyatone PS-3 Phase Shifter, Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger, Ibanez DE-7 Delay Echo, Ibanez LF-7 Lo-Fi Filter, Ibanez SM-7 Smash Box Distortion
sunai

Boswell - Myth buster :D :D :lol: :lol:
boswell

Yeah only without the Ginger beard, bald head or gay moustache! :wink:
Jeries

I say john 5 has a simple rig...(although he knows nothing about his own rig and can't even set it up on his own, although it does have a few pedals) ive seen him do an entire show with a fender practice/combo amp that had an 8 in speaker...sounded amazing just like a pro amp/rig

So i'd say if you can go from a few pedals to practice amp of a 13 yr old and sound flawless- its pretty impressive and simple.
Big Bad Bill

Of course we're all forgetting that the guitar signal usually goes through a mixing desk which often have myriad effects that can be applied invisibly :wink: Anyway what's wrong with using a million effects to get your sound? I don't understand why saying one uses none is somehow more virtuous than saying you have a refrigerator in your back line. It just smacks of redneck machismo to me. Perhaps using a locking trem is cheating too? Electricity? That's for girls. :roll:
sunai

Big Bad Bill wrote:Of course we're all forgetting that the guitar signal usually goes through a mixing desk which often have myriad effects that can be applied invisibly :wink: Anyway what's wrong with using a million effects to get your sound? I don't understand why saying one uses none is somehow more virtuous than saying you have a refrigerator in your back line. It just smacks of redneck machismo to me. Perhaps using a locking trem is cheating too? Electricity? That's for girls. :roll:
+1, Use a big rig, no one cares as long as it sounds good.. plus, all the added lights add some WOW factor to your rig.
Fanch

[quote="boswell"]Time after time in magazines, or the internet I read interviews were the "renowned" guitarist claims he's not into effects yet goes on to describe his rig which includes a pedal board and rack full of effects! In addition to which a causal listen to the guys latest album shows it to be awash with flanger, phaser, delay, reverb etc.[qooete="boswell"] :roll: Like BBB, you cant name any interviews at this time. :roll:

Your original claim was their not really into effects...yet goes on blah, blah, blah...
Again, try this one kiddo, name ONE article where "renowned" guitarist claims "he's not really into effects"(as you stated originally) yet goes on to describe numerous effects? :roll:
Sound familiar? :roll:

I'm sure you can do above: the title of the thread is Renowned quitarist who don't use effects. :roll:
boswell

Fanch wrote:
boswell wrote:Time after time in magazines, or the internet I read interviews were the "renowned" guitarist claims he's not into effects yet goes on to describe his rig which includes a pedal board and rack full of effects! In addition to which a causal listen to the guys latest album shows it to be awash with flanger, phaser, delay, reverb etc.[qooete="boswell"] Like BBB, you cant name any interviews at this time. Your original claim was their not really into effects...yet goes on blah, blah, blah...
Again, try this one kiddo, name ONE article where "renowned" guitarist claims "he's not really into effects"(as you stated originally) yet goes on to describe numerous effects?
Sound familiar?

I'm sure you can do above: the title of the thread is Renowned quitarist who don't use effects.

The title is Sarcasm a form of irony that is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target. It is first recorded in English in The Shepheardes Calender in 1579.

Now the thing is this a general music discussion forum not a university course so if I can't remember my sources it's no big deal.

The thread was sparked off by reading a Richie Kotzen interview were he stated he didn't really use pedals but then waxed lyrical about the crappy Zoom Signature pedal he now endorses. :roll: note careful and subtle use of rolling eyes smiley as I'm not really into using smilies!

Big Bad Bill

I have to concur with boswell on this. I have certainly read interviews with noted guitarists who say as much but clearly are using effects and as I come across them again, I will give references. Another thing guitarists seem to say, after claiming not to use effects and be unaware of a thing called music theory, is "We've stripped everything back and this album is basically us all jamming together in one studio", or "I'm really excited about this new band its got something special that my other 24 bands (of which I was equally excited about) didn't". I suppose there's only so much you can say in an interview about music-'dancing about architecture' and all that!
Igneousiceman

Big Bad Bill wrote: ...other 24 bands (of which I was equally excited about)...
Oh how many times have I read something similar....:)
lydian2000

Big Bad Bill wrote:I have to concur with boswell on this. I have certainly read interviews with noted guitarists who say as much but clearly are using effects and as I come across them again, I will give references. Another thing guitarists seem to say, after claiming not to use effects and be unaware of a thing called music theory, is "We've stripped everything back and this album is basically us all jamming together in one studio", or "I'm really excited about this new band its got something special that my other 24 bands (of which I was equally excited about) didn't". I suppose there's only so much you can say in an interview about music-'dancing about architecture' and all that!
+1000

So refreshing to read posts like that, because I couldn't agree more, it's nice to know that some of us out there don't take all that PR/PC stuff for granted.

:peace
Last edited by lydian2000 on Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
boswell

lydian2000 wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:I have to concur with boswell on this. I have certainly read interviews with noted guitarists who say as much but clearly are using effects and as I come across them again, I will give references. Another thing guitarists seem to say, after claiming not to use effects and be unaware of a thing called music theory, is "We've stripped everything back and this album is basically us all jamming together in one studio", or "I'm really excited about this new band its got something special that my other 24 bands (of which I was equally excited about) didn't". I suppose there's only so much you can say in an interview about music-'dancing about architecture' and all that!
+1000

So refreshing to read posts like that, beacause I couldn't agree more, it's nice to know that some of us out there don't take all that PR/PC stuff for granted.

:peace
For every one like us there's a million who believe all the BS! :wink: