Renowned guitarist who don't use effects

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
boswell

How many times do I have to read interviews were the guitarist says "I'm not really into effects" then proceeds to mention the overdrive/distortion pedal, delay, reverb, wah, flanger and phaser they use!
Lotus Eater

Angus.
al

i think theres always going to be some essentials

im happy with verb and overdrive minumum

add to that wah and delay and im happy

and when i wana get fruity i use a whammy type effect
Breeder

Andreas Segovia :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jeries

Zakk and John 5 have pretty SIMPLE rigs - i wouldnt say NO effects but still nothing on the lines of U2/THE EDGE.

Tom Delonge when he was in blink 182 used no fx just gtr-amp
Big Bad Bill

I think its just a way of saying, "Its all in my fingers so I don't need effects!" when in fact it isn't all in their fingers and they do need some effects. Its analogous to body builders who say they don't use steroids, Hollywood stars who haven't had cosmetic surgery, singers who don't use auto-pitch correction...etc :roll:
Pi2plank

i dont think keith richards of the 'stones' uses much effects..
Melodic Dreamer

A lot of guys use some sort of a booster pedal. When I think of effects, I think of Modulation, Reverb and so on.

I know Richie Kotzen doesn't really use that much. Robben Ford doesn't either.
ernzzz

Don Ross
matic22

Janick Gers doesn't use very much effects:
http://www.janickgers.net/pics/equi.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; here is photo of his rack...

And he hasn't anyy foot controls onstage.
boswell

Big Bad Bill wrote:Its analogous to body builders who say they don't use steroids, Hollywood stars who haven't had cosmetic surgery, singers who don't use auto-pitch correction...etc :roll:
That just about nails it. 8)
Pif

Mattias Eklundh.

Jeff Beck can pretty much play on a plastic cup, sound like a bastard and blow everyone away.

Vernon Reid (just kidding)
Big Bad Bill

I'd like to know where everyone is getting their information about famous guitarists not using effects? From the players themselves? Maybe from their trusted, hired guitar techs? Hmmmm.....Well if you send me $/£100 I can make you better looking, your hair thicker and your manhood longer, whilst increasing your intelligence and ability to identify fine wines whilst effortlessly acquiring perfect pitch and a handy booklet with witty one liners guaranteed to make you successful with women. Don't delay (which isn't something you'll hear these guitarist or their techs say)!
lydian2000

Big Bad Bill wrote:I think its just a way of saying, "Its all in my fingers so I don't need effects!" when in fact it isn't all in their fingers and they do need some effects. Its analogous to body builders who say they don't use steroids, Hollywood stars who haven't had cosmetic surgery, singers who don't use auto-pitch correction...etc :roll:
+2

:peace
Jemfever

Big Bad Bill wrote:I'd like to know where everyone is getting their information about famous guitarists not using effects? From the players themselves? Maybe from their trusted, hired guitar techs? Hmmmm.....Well if you send me $/£100 I can make you better looking, your hair thicker and your manhood longer, whilst increasing your intelligence and ability to identify fine wines whilst effortlessly acquiring perfect pitch and a handy booklet with witty one liners guaranteed to make you successful with women. Don't delay (which isn't something you'll hear these guitarist or their techs say)!
I don't quite get your point.
I saw Thin Lizzy last year and John Sykes went straight into a Boss TU-2 and then directly into one Marshall JCM 800.
That's it and this information comes not from his tech or a guitar magazine.