Zappa Plays Zappa 09

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
777lovein

is it true, that they are onley 4 persons on stage in 2009? Whitout of Napoleon an Ray?
cbr1000f

777lovein wrote:is it true, that they are onley 4 persons on stage in 2009? Whitout of Napoleon an Ray?
No, that's not true. There are 7 members. But there are no guests on this tour.
http://www.zappaplayszappa.com/players.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dweezil Zappa: Guitar (his soloing has much matured, he's really improvising and he has a cool tone)
Scheila Gonzalez: Saxophone, Flute, Keyboards & Vocals (Damn what can't she do? I especially love her voice & sax playing)
Pete Griffin: Bass (if there's one musician in the band that has evolved into one cool groovy mofo and has proven that he deserves to be in the spotlight it must be Pete. On this tour he gets more exposure and he eagerly delivers!)
Billy Hulting: Marimba, Mallets & Percussion (Billy has been impressive on each ZPZ tour)
Jamie Kime: Guitar (I like the contrast between his soloing and Dweezil's playing, Jamie plays in a raw jazzy & bluesy way. Very nice improvising)
Ben Thomas: Vocals (really outstanding vocalist, with his voice he can play a lot of characters)
Joe Travers: Drums & Vocals (What can we say about Joe? This guy is one of the most underrated drummers out there. You can see that this guy truly lives Frank's music)
Last edited by cbr1000f on Thu May 28, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

You forgot Jamie Kime - an excellent guitarist.

Mikey :)
vai.com
cbr1000f

Mikey wrote:You forgot Jamie Kime - an excellent guitarist.

vai.com
Hi Mikey,
I didn't forget him, I only forgot to put his name in bold text :?
But thanks for making me aware, I just changed it :wink:
Last edited by cbr1000f on Thu May 28, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

cbr1000f wrote:
Mikey wrote:You forgot Jamie Kime - an excellent guitarist.

vai.com
Hi Mikey,
I didn't forget him, I only forgot to put his name in bold text :?
Oops - I guess I forgot how to read... ;)
thejonesfactor

I will be in the 2nd row w/ the family, for the CT. show. Can't wait.
Tom

It's great that so many young Dream Theater fans will get exposure to Frank Zappa's music on this summer's "Progressive Nation" tour. I know a lot of DT fans appreciate it already, but it reminds me of being first exposed to Zappa's music after discovering Steve Vai with Flex-Able about 25 years ago. I think anyone who's not seen them is going to be blown away by the ZPZ band. Dweezil's playing has gone stratospheric, Joe Travers is simply amazing on the drums, Pete is incredibly solid and fun on the bass, Scheila is a wonder, Jamie and Billy are fantastic too, and typically the house sound mix is as good as I've ever heard (except maybe the Grateful Dead years ago). Heading to Boston for the show and looking forward to it!

(For me, DT is a taste still-being-acquired, but I like them so far.)

Tom