Rush

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Jenn Pix

Anyone else love these guys?
On my own personal list, they are tied even with Steve Vai for my favorite.

My apologies if there's already a thread, but I really didn't want to search through 133 pages!
Seraphim

Jenn Pix wrote:My apologies if there's already a thread, but I really didn't want to search through 133 pages!
Hi there!
You have to focus more on your chakra that deal with patience :wink:

But, if you do a properly search, you only gonna find 19 matches (including yours).
Here's the way to do a properly search:

Search for keywords: "RUSH"
Search subforuns: "NO"
Search within: "TOPIC TITLE ONLY"
Display results as: "TOPICS"

So, the result is this:
http://www.vai.com/messageboard/search. ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope have help you!!!

...and ohhhhh, I almost forget, I'm Rush fan!!! :P

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
teokiatuan

Seraphim wrote: Hi there!
lol.

Rush fans, what are some good Rush songs? like a 'The Best Of' ...
Jenn Pix

Seraphim wrote:
Jenn Pix wrote:My apologies if there's already a thread, but I really didn't want to search through 133 pages!
Hi there!

But, if you do a properly search, you only gonna find 19 matches (including yours).
Here's the way to do a properly search:

Search for keywords: "RUSH"
Search subforuns: "NO"
Search within: "TOPIC TITLE ONLY"
Display results as: "TOPICS"

So, the result is this:
http://www.vai.com/messageboard/search. ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope have help you!!!

...and ohhhhh, I almost forget, I'm Rush fan!!! :P

Ah... sorry.
I'm still getting a feel for this board. It seems that every board has a different way to search!
I like different layouts and styles, it would be so dull if they were all the same. But it does mean a bit of confusion with some features! LOL...

Good to see another Rush fan!

I've loved Rush since I was 9 or 10...
Steve Vai was soon after.
Both were because of a friend. She got me into a lot of stuff that I didn't hear much (if at all) on the radio.
Jenn Pix

randomnessman wrote:
Seraphim wrote: Hi there!
lol.

Rush fans, what are some good Rush songs? like a 'The Best Of' ...
Like any music, it's all quite subjective.
I like all of their stuff, though I must admit, I listen to the 70's stuff a bit less than 80's forward...
There are 3 "Retrospective" collections out, that might be a good place to start, see which stuff grabs your attention.

I am right now rather hooked on "Snakes & Arrows", "Counterparts" and Geddy Lee's solo "My Favourite Headache"
Seraphim

Jenn Pix wrote:Ah... sorry.
I'm still getting a feel for this board. It seems that every board has a different way to search!
I like different layouts and styles, it would be so dull if they were all the same. But it does mean a bit of confusion with some features! LOL...
Don't need to sorry about it! :P
Just wanted to help you.

Anyway, I'm a fan since I listened "Big Money" for the 1st time :guitar
And listened on vynil... and still have it on that format :D

Jenn Pix

Seraphim wrote:
Jenn Pix wrote:Ah... sorry.
Don't need to sorry about it! :P
Just wanted to help you.

Anyway, I'm a fan since I listened "Big Money" for the 1st time :guitar
And listened on vynil... and still have it on that format :D

:) Coolness :wink:
And thanks for the help!

"Tom Sawyer" was my introduction (and to this day the only thing I've heard from them on the radio, LOL!)

When I said I liked that one, my friend played the entire album for me.
I've been a huge fan since then!
notavirtuoso

randomnessman wrote: Rush fans, what are some good Rush songs? like a 'The Best Of' ...
My favorite way of exploring the music of an established band that's new to me is to pick up a live album as they are often "greatest hits" type albums anyway. Rush is a great band live and all of their live albums are great, so I'd recommend picking one of those up to get your feet wet with. That way if you dig them you can then go back and buy the albums and not have to worry that you already have a bunch of the same recordings from a actual greatest hits album.
Jenn Pix wrote: "Tom Sawyer" was my introduction (and to this day the only thing I've heard from them on the radio, LOL!)

When I said I liked that one, my friend played the entire album for me.
I've been a huge fan since then!
Moving Pictures is one of my favorite Rush albums. So many fond memories jump up when I listen to that one. Welcome to the board by the way.
Jenn Pix

Oh yeah! Live albums is a great idea!
Rush sound awesome live.

Loads of favourites, greatest hits type stuff. That's a great suggestion!
Seraphim

My sugestion is a Live DVD as well.
Not only have some sort of "greatest hits" but also have the stage envinonment.
And if the DVD have 5.1 or DTS even better :headbang
But for that you have to have a DVD player :lol:
And money to buy it :lol: :lol:

Jenn Pix

Rush In Rio was a great one! Never seen an audience quite like that one!
Also love A Show Of Hands ... much earlier one, and the show wasn't as long, but it's my favourite.
Man, when was that.?. Late 80's I think? 88, maybe?

Gods, I was so thrilled to see Rush live in the summer of 08!
As long as I've been a fan, that was my first time! They really put on one killer show!
Mr. Supertron

OMG i love Rush. I would kill to see them live esp if it was 70's 80's Rush. Im Canadian and so are they but weirdly a lot of people here don't know who they are ( mainly teenagers who like crap).
I jam to some of their songs everyday for frig sakes. I listen to them more than Vai, Satch or really anything.
My Favorite Tracks in no order
1. Limelight ( first song I learned by them)
2. Chemistry
3. Kid Gloves
4 Between the Wheels
5. The Big Money

There are so many good ones. Oh Mystic Ryhtyhms
thejonesfactor

Own it all. Seen them more than anyone else on my list. Rush in Rio is good, but I think the sound on R30 is better and it is practically the same show. All the World's a Stage is another must have live album. Neil does the best and most entertaining drum solos out there, year after year.
Oh yeah, my first tattoo was the RUSH star.
Jenn Pix

Loved Neil's drum solo this last tour (Snakes & Arrows, '08 leg) I think he's always great, but this was his best yet, to my ears.

One of the things I like about his drumming is that it's not just speed and loud... there is a musical feel to it. I have heard a lot of drum solos that sound rather "messy". Kind of like they just want to show
"I can play real fast! And I can hit 'em all!" and it just doesn't sound very good.

Neil sounds like he puts more thought into his solos. He wants to give the audience something more than just noise.
And I appreciate that :)
atlantakat

The good news is Rush puts out so many compilations and re-packagings that you can always get a variety of their live shows from throughout their (lengthy) career.

Top songs: Anything off Moving Pictures.

Top DVD: Rush in Rio -- most incredible live audience I've seen for a prog/rock show. I get chills just thinking about the crowd singing along with YYZ.

The Replay 3X DVD gives you a pretty good range of shows from the 80s

From 1980 to 1984, Rush and VH owned hard rock. And it was good. Damn good.