Zappa, Vai, or SRV speech for school

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
StevieRayVai

Zappa, Vai, or SRV speech for school

#1 Post by StevieRayVai » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:13 am

Hey everyone, in my communications class we have to do a speech on a figure in which we have to persuade the audience to admire them. We also have to try to relate this figure to their (the audiences) lives. I of course wanted to speak on behalf of either SRV or Lord Vai, as both of them have been my only idols for quite some time. The problem with them is that I dont think I could relate them to the audiences lives. I was also think of doing Frank Zappa, as he was more than just a musician, but an accomplished politician who fought against laws and bans that affect everyone, including censorship. What do you guys think? Do you have any ideas for Vai or SRV?

VAI05

#2 Post by VAI05 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:37 am

As far as Vai goes, I see him as very professional, a very kind human being & very hard working with the thirst to do better. Those qualities can relate to a person whether it is a rock star, factory worker etc. Good luck on the project.

Jeries

#3 Post by Jeries » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:07 am

i'd do (the speech on)zappa

most people in the class i'm sure has heard of him or the name but has no idea about his as a musician and his political views and his fight with the PMRC and also the fact that he recorded like 70 albums and still has a vault full of stuff

LoveBlood

#4 Post by LoveBlood » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

I'd definetly choose Vai or Zappa, how Steve's spirituality is integral to what he does would be an interesting topic.

StevieRayVai

#5 Post by StevieRayVai » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Jeries wrote:i'd do (the speech on)zappa

most people in the class i'm sure has heard of him or the name but has no idea about his as a musician and his political views and his fight with the PMRC and also the fact that he recorded like 70 albums and still has a vault full of stuff
Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking, especially the 70 albums part. Plus someone just posted an interview with Zappa in Guitar World that's interesting with a ton of facts. How he has so many different types of fans (ones that like his orchestra work, others that like his crazy songs like Dinah-Moe-Hum, and people that like his guitar solo work), and how it was always him fighting against stupid people. Once again, i'd really love to do SRV or Vai, but I think in this case Zappa would be more appealing to the audience, because he was more than a musician, although arguably Vai and SRV are, but I think I can only have 5 minutes or so, and I know i'd go like 20 with them.

StevieRayVai

#6 Post by StevieRayVai » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 pm

VAI05 wrote:As far as Vai goes, I see him as very professional, a very kind human being & very hard working with the thirst to do better. Those qualities can relate to a person whether it is a rock star, factory worker etc. Good luck on the project.
Hey, thats a very good way of thinking. I will definetely consider that, thanks man!

Jeries

#7 Post by Jeries » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:35 am

i've found there are 2 reactions to people when you mention 'steve vai'

1. Who?
or
2. OH MY GOD HE IS THE BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

i think i'm a zappa expert so let me know if you got any questions/stuck somewhere

Seraphim

#8 Post by Seraphim » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:57 am

Lol Jeries :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

About the choose for the communications class speech, any of your chooses is great, of course.
With all my respect for Mister Vai and for the late Stevie Ray, if I have to choose, probably I will make the speech about Zappa. Well, why? Because there are more vast infos, books (The Real FZ book) you know, more sources to get information and Zappa not only have the story or his music, lyrics, etc but also have done some political interventions, etc.

But, your dilema is very easy to understand, if was me, I would have the same dilema too :wink:

In the end, who ever you choose, you have my vote.

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:

lydian2000

#9 Post by lydian2000 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:29 am

Jeries wrote:i've found there are 2 reactions to people when you mention 'steve vai'

1. Who?
or
2. OH MY GOD HE IS THE BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

i think i'm a zappa expert so let me know if you got any questions/stuck somewhere
+1, I have to say I agree with you on that, except there's more "who?"and "another guitar hero"(to which I reply "played with Zappa" then follows a discussion that can end up in the person wanting to listen a few songs or album I recommanded) in between, with the people to whom I mentioned his name.

:peace

acoates

#10 Post by acoates » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:02 am

You can go the common route if you want but if you want an A you'd probably be better picking an unpopular figure and convincing the audience to admire him.

Aaron1Rhoads
Newcomer

#11 Post by Aaron1Rhoads » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:18 pm

Zappa,Satch,Vai that would be a great paper.

StevieRayVai

#12 Post by StevieRayVai » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks everbody! Im definetely in the works of doing a speech on Zappa.

Seraphim

#13 Post by Seraphim » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:46 am

So, the dilema was already finished!!!

Warning: Some title of songs can be triky :lol: :mrgreen:

Good luck man!!!

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:

Mr. Supertron

#14 Post by Mr. Supertron » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:26 am

If you do the speech right, The Audience will be listening ! :D

StevieRayVai

#15 Post by StevieRayVai » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:01 am

Wow so last Thursday I did the Zappa speech. I can tell you my class is full of the dullest people i've ever met. I mentioned his kids names, song names such as "the illinois enema bandit", "Jesus thinks you're a jerk" and even mentioned his quote where he was fighting the PMRC of "I wrote a song about dental floss, did anybodies teeth get whiter?" and no one laughed at any of that! Plus no one in the class ever heard of Frank! You have to have been living under a rock to not have heard of him, even before I listened to him I heard of him when I was like 5. The speech went very well otherwise, thanks again for your help guys.