Most overrated guitarist

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
The Prez

Here's my list.

1:Kurt Cobain
2:Jerry Garcia

Now I'm not dissing their music, this is just an opinion. I feel at times they get more credit than a lot of other musicians.
greg

Hendrix. Extremely good, but thre have been people better since - he's not the one of a kind will never be touched people say he is.
jmchambers5

okay, so i think Jimi Definately deserves everything he gets. i know this isn't a popular opinion on this board, but i see him as a tremendous innovator. he has done more to expand the boundaries of electric guitar in general than any single person before or since him. did he have chops? not really, i can do anything he did, but its all in the vibe. he's like the caveman that invented fire. now we can have entire power plants based on coal and cars with internal combustion engines that put that caveman to shame, but without that caveman, nothing else would be there. just my opinion.

And i really like Kurt, but i'm not going to defend him, cuz its all about opinions anyways, so whats the point.

To stay on topic, i'm the most overated guitar player. A bunch of people at school thought i was the stuff, but i'm not all that and a bag of potato chips.
Willin

Hahaha, jmchambers5. :P Yeah, non guitar players always think you're the bomb until you play with other guitarists. I know when I play around random people I start to feel ok about my playing. Then I go to a guitar lesson with my ridiculously amazing instructor and it completely devastates any hopes I ever had at being good on the instrument, hahaha. At least temporarily. :P

Anyhow, back on topic. Hendrix is definetly NOT over-rated. Playing guitar is certainly NOT about what chops you have. What most common people consider the best players in the world don't have any semblance of "fast" chops. Look at players like Eric Clapton, B.B. King, and Chuck Berry. They were and still are great players, but they don't necessarily have great chops. Playing guitar is all about the feel and soul of the music. If you don't have that, then you'll never be successful or influential. If you have that aspect of playing down already, and can build upon it with fast chops, then do so. It can only expand your musical horizons. Phrasing, feel, and soul, are first and foremost though. Vai is an excellent example of a player with feel and speed. It's a romantic harmony of the various essential aspects of music. Rusty Cooley, on the other hand, has speed and not much else. He is an extremely talented shredder, but he lacks soul in his music (in my opinion). This makes his music nearly unbearable for me. I could only listen to it for the amazement factor.

Hendrix is one of, if not the greatest rock guitar player ever, because of these reasons. The amount of soul in his music is unparalleled and no one had been playing like that until he came along. His forms of expression are beyond the bounds of most guitarists, even to this day. Many people criticize him because they think his songs are simple and that it only took them a week to learn a tune. If that's how you judge music, then you just don't get it, in my opinion. No one criticizes Andres Segovia for playing some of his most beautiful pieces on the slower side, because that's not what it's all about. The same applies to Hendrix, except in a rock context.

Other than that, i'm not sure who i'd consider over-rated. :lol:
Zebula77

Umm, I think Kirk Hammett is very overrated. He's a decent guitarist, ability-wise, but I don't think he has a very good tone or feeling with what he plays. I don't like his vibrato either, it's too nervous and shrill sounding. And he uses the wah-wah way too much.

When he plays fast runs he sounds ok, but when he slows down it just doesn't sound right to me. I mean, if you compare Hammett with guys like Joe or Steve, when those guys play slow I really feel what they're playing, but with Hammett I kind of cringe when he plays that way.
GuitarStrings

CARLOS SANTANA
Abhishek

GuitarStrings wrote:CARLOS SANTANA
YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eyebnez

Slash
Tony

GuitarStrings wrote:CARLOS SANTANA
Carlos Santana is overrated???
I can't agree with you at all. He has the most unique style I've ever heard. He's got melody, technique...he's just awesome (and one of my greatest influences)

Maybe you could explain why he's overrated in your opinion?

Rocking regards,
Tony
The Prez

I think the most inflential guitarist oif all time is Charlie CHristian, if it wasn't for him, Wes Montgomery, and Mutty Waters who made the electric guitar what it is, there would be no hendrix, btw why did he ever take drugs, what was the reason behind it? I also know that he makes a lot of mistakes live, he was booed at his last performance
adam525

Eddie Van Halen...

Don't get me wrong, he is a good player, and I like Van Halen (the band), but I think he's WAY overrated as a guitar player. He plays very original rythyms and he's solid, but I would'nt put him in the same league as Vai, Morse, Petrucci, etc. Everytime I hear the name, I'm reminded of an article I read in Musician magazine a few years ago about Biff (sp?) Baby's All Stars (with Morse, Albert Lee, and EVH). Each player played a few tunes on his own, then they all 3 jammed. Eddie made it through a Van Halen tune and, I believe, "Fire" by Hendrix, but when it came time for "Country Boy" Morse and Lee embarassed him. They all started trading licks and when Eddie's turn came around, he just couldn't keep up. He resorted to playing "The Elephant" where I think he just plays some dissonant chords, and lays down on the wammy bar for some sort of effect.
Willin

adam525 wrote:Eddie Van Halen...

Don't get me wrong, he is a good player, and I like Van Halen (the band), but I think he's WAY overrated as a guitar player. He plays very original rythyms and he's solid, but I would'nt put him in the same league as Vai, Morse, Petrucci, etc. Everytime I hear the name, I'm reminded of an article I read in Musician magazine a few years ago about Biff (sp?) Baby's All Stars (with Morse, Albert Lee, and EVH). Each player played a few tunes on his own, then they all 3 jammed. Eddie made it through a Van Halen tune and, I believe, "Fire" by Hendrix, but when it came time for "Country Boy" Morse and Lee embarassed him. They all started trading licks and when Eddie's turn came around, he just couldn't keep up. He resorted to playing "The Elephant" where I think he just plays some dissonant chords, and lays down on the wammy bar for some sort of effect.
This is such an erroneous comment. Sure, Morse and Lee may have played better over "Country Boy," but i'm sure Eddie Van Halen tore both of those guys a new assh0le when he played over the other songs. The styles of the players is completely different and they can not be compared in any way shape or form. This is a useless comparisson. Eddie is a behemoth in the rock guitar world.
adam525

" but i'm sure Eddie Van Halen tore both of those guys a new assh0le when he played over the other songs"...

I don't think he did actually. I think he "held his own" on the other tunes, but don't believe he tore them new assholes.

"The styles of the players is completely different and they can not be compared in any way shape or form. "...

Sure they can. By the way, the reason I threw that in with the post was because (and this is my opinion) I think EVH found a niche with Van Halen, I don't think he's one of the best guitar players of all time. Sure, the stuff he does inside the Van Halen paradigm is cool, but if put in a situation outside of that, as in like a live "jam", I don't think he proved himeself. He said himself that when he solos, he falls down the stairs and winds up landing on his feet. Again, inside the Van Halen realm he can do some cool stuff, but I don't think he's a flexible guitar player. It's not about not being able to play bluegrass or country style, it's about overall mastery of the instrument. That's how I interpret what makes a good guitar player.

"Eddie is a behemoth in the rock guitar world."...

Can't argue with that. But I also think that has to do with that "overrated" thing I was talking about. I don't want to start a flame war or anything (and I'm sure that my opinion wouldn't be very popular at all on this board), that's just my 2 cents...
jmchambers5

The Prez wrote:I think the most inflential guitarist oif all time is Charlie CHristian, if it wasn't for him, Wes Montgomery, and Mutty Waters who made the electric guitar what it is, there would be no hendrix, btw why did he ever take drugs, what was the reason behind it? I also know that he makes a lot of mistakes live, he was booed at his last performance
yea, but without segovia, Charlie Christian wouldn't have come about.
shader

*seconds the CARLOS SANTANA*