David Gilmour/Post Waters Pink Floyd

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Azrael

I'd like to know what everybody's thoughts are on the matter. I happen to love both A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell, even to the point where I enjoy them much more than the early and mid Pink Floyd albums. I feel that they are much deeper musically than any of the earlier work.

Also, Gilmour is a very captivating guitarist. I am mesmerized by a lot of his work. He might not have the speed of Yngwie, but he has some serious Blues chops and an ability to create truly enjoyable music.
notavirtuoso

I love both. I really like the old Floyd stuff, but I love the new stuff too. His solo album that came out a year or two ago was great. Some might say that the post Water's albums put out by Floyd are merely Gilmour albums with Floyd members appearing, but I don't care. I still love them. According to Gilmour, he wanted to get back to the balance between vocals and music that he said Waters disrupted. He said in the earlier days, they were pretty evenly split 50/50 between music and words, but after Wish You Were Here, Roger started pushing the music back and the storyline of vocals forward. That was, according to him, not what the rest of the band wanted to do, but they did. Anyway, back to what I was saying, David Gilmour rules. Past or present, doesn't matter.
ClarkyNZ

David Gilmour is a six stringed sonic shaman.

Division Bell is a romantic odyssey of epic proportions. I know of no better album for driving through the forested alpine passes to. (Sorry Steve - I save yours for night driving!)
Yorksha_Pud

AMLOR and DB are fantastic albums which showcase mesmerising guitar work and vocals from Gilmour. They could finally express themselves, after a period in which Waters had come to dominate both music and lyrics. They're clearly not on the same level as the early 70's stuff, in my opinion, back when they were in their prime and used their creative skills to maximum effect, but hey, those albums are some of the greatest music ever made.
VAI05

Im a big fan of Gilmour, but I love Waters alot also. That band had alot of great work with both in the band. Im not just talking about DSOTM or The Wall. I think Wish You Were Here & Animals are just as much classics as the other two. Set The Controls To The Heart Of The Sun is one of my favorite songs by Floyd. Ummagumma is pretty good also.
Azrael

I don't really think Gilmour is that good of a singer. The effects he uses makes his voice sound pleasant, but then again he gives Brittany Spears a good run for her money in vocal effects. That said, he sounds pretty good. I just don't think he has any real vocal talent. His guitar chops speak for themselves, however.
notavirtuoso

Azrael wrote:I don't really think Gilmour is that good of a singer. The effects he uses makes his voice sound pleasant, but then again he gives Brittany Spears a good run for her money in vocal effects. That said, he sounds pretty good. I just don't think he has any real vocal talent. His guitar chops speak for themselves, however.
I like his vocals (with effects I guess) but I see what you mean. He has a soft voice with no real power behind it most times. It's different though and suits his music well.

I like Waters post Floyd stuff too. They're both brilliant, but in the end they just have different goals.
Yorksha_Pud

eh? Gilmour has a great voice!

I think my fave PF song vocally, is Coming Back To Life from The Divison Bell. Actually, it's prob in my top 5 PF songs.
Shredded Heat

It's hard to quantify why I prefer the old Pink Floyd stuff (and by this I mean: Meddle, Animals, WYWH, Dark Side Of The Moon) - I just connect with it more or something. The Wall, while it does contain some excellent work, seems very self-indulgent on Roger Waters' behalf, and I don't like it as much.

I do like Gilmour's 'On An Island' a lot, but it comes across as (for want of a better expression) "old man's music", which is great to listen to when I'm in the right mood, but when I'm not I find I just can't connect with it at all. 'The Division Bell' and 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason' also, to a lesser extent, fall into this category (and I also get the same feeling sometimes when listening to Neil Young, among others).

Anyway, in summary: Gilmour/Floyd work after the Waters split is very good, but I don't think it'll ever top his/their mid-to-late 70s stuff
Lotus Eater

I like to think that David Gilmour has never let me down. Period.
Doesn't matter if you go back to their early work on Saucer full of Secrets, or On an Island, whatever it is he has presence. The guitar and vocals both inhabit a voice so distinct it haunts you. Really it doesn't matter who is on stage beside him. I'm not bashing Roger either, I love is work, but he doesn't play guitar as good:)
Big Bad Bill

With the exception of DSotM and WYWH, I find most of the early Floyd material a little impenetrable! I much prefer the later material, post Waters, and love 'On an Island'. Does anyone know if Gilmour is working on new material?
Yorksha_Pud

Apparently he had 3/4 albums worth of stuff when writing for On An Island, so hopefully he'll release something in the future. I dont think he's working on anything right now though.

Theres a double live cd coming out soon though, "Live in Gdansk" from the On An Island tour.
Zappa1988
Newcomer

I am more of a fan of the Waters era floyd, however, The Division Bell is pretty fantastic. It just comes together so well.