John Mayer

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
llamahead

are there any John Mayer fans here!?!? :D
StevieRayVai

No
Lotus Eater

actually as of yesterday, yeah I heard his live album TRY! and it sounds a lot like SRV. So Sure I'd admit to that:)
RAI

I think he's a pretty darn tasty player....
Just listen to the solo on "Gravity".
Technically, it's nothing spectacular, but the melody is great.
The phrasing, slides, bends, and attention to dynamics is flawless...
guyver_dio

he's a great mediator in music. Girls and pop fans seem to enjoy it and so can guitarists/musicians. His addition to chick's car playlists around the world gives a glimmer of hope for the future
llamahead

guyver_dio wrote:he's a great mediator in music. Girls and pop fans seem to enjoy it and so can guitarists/musicians. His addition to chick's car playlists around the world gives a glimmer of hope for the future
great bedroom music too :wink: or so i've heard, i have yet to find out, hopefully soon :D
totallygeek

llamahead wrote:are there any John Mayer fans here!?!? :D
My girlfriend likes him, so I took her to a concert last summer. I must say, the event was at a great venue (Hollywood Bowl), he plays guitar well and there was plenty of guitar work performed, and the place was filled with women. I would go again...
Instrumentalrockrocks

I am really a big fan of John Mayer

The future of blues depents on both the shoulders of mr Mayer and Joe Bonamassa (well thats my opinion :wink: )

Especially his more recent live shows (with the john mayer trio) are great

great feelin in his playing... great blues licks

love it!

Shred On :guitar
VAI05

StevieRayVai wrote:No
prman

John`s a helluva player but I can`t stand the music he records.
llamahead

prman wrote:John`s a helluva player but I can`t stand the music he records.
he did a great cover of "Wait until tomorrow" :wink:
aalloca

Big Fan.

And let me put it this way, my wife hates guitar, and she can sing everyone of his solos note for note.

To me this is what makes him so appealing his solos are songs in themselves, and do hear SRV coming through on Trio! but Contiunum pushed so far away from that.

I think he is the real deal, and along with Frusciante are 2 guitarists with mass attention that are really playing extremely well.
StevieRayVai

Jonny Lang did it all first, just not many people know who he is
RAI

Except Lang is more in the style of KWS and such.
In other words, their music is blues oriented.

While Mayer's heart may be filled with the blues, his music doesn't really reflect it.
Which is fine with me....
Instrumentalrockrocks

I particularly like the balance between blues, jazz and pop music in Mayer's music.
Take a song like 'vultures'
A great pop-groove sound combined with Mayer's bluesy style of playing and the as-thight-as-a-pair-of-underpants-trough-the-ass-of-a-fat-big-momma :roll: -drum style of Steve Jordan and you get a great slow and groovy sounding vibe going on wich I find really hard to get when you try to cover it.

I consider his last album, continuum, as one of the greatest masterpieces of bluesrock in years.

I think Mayer is the future of blues and he is probably the only one out there who can give the genre a big boost to the 'every day' audience (who are maybe just getting into the blues).

I consider Mayer as good as or even better than KWS and Johnny Lang. KWS never touched me with his records. I think his songs are (most of them that is) quite often simple or/and SRV copies. I like to add that his tone actually IS a SRV copy.

The other bluesrock guitar players on the moment wich I really like are Eric Sardinas and Joe Bonamassa: Both great live and in the studio...

Back on topic:
Mayer should be considered as a very good bluesrock guitarist. And I hope that one day he'll get credit from (more) guitar players and musicians than the (mindless) screaming girls at his concerts can give.

Shred On :guitar