Autograph protection

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
chrose1201

Hey all, this has been discussed to some extent, but I'm hoping to get some more thoughts on this. I have been lucky enough to get my guitar signed by a bunch of people, Steve, SRV & brother Jimmy, Johnny Winter (Edgars rubbed off :( ) , Steve Morse, John Mclaughlin, etc.
It's on an Ibanez AS50 (similar to the ES 335) The signatures are all over the guitar. Now I almost wish I hadn't done that because I really want to play the guitar. I supose I could just put it away and buy another, but unless I hit the lottery my wife would kill me! :roll:
Granted it is semi-hollow, but other than feedback, under heavy amplification you would not get the tones anyway. So I thought maybe wrap it in saran to play it :? (I know that sounds really stupid) or would I destroy it getting a clearcoat on it? I am not worried about resale value, as it's my baby, but I would appreciate any thoughts on how to play it again without destroying the autographs.

Thanks!
GYiakoumi

Hey

You could try spraying Lacquer over the guitar(I assume these signatures are on the base) This is what they use to make guitars look glossy/shiny etc(or something like it)It basically acts as a clear coat. When it dries, you should be able to touch the base without any real contact to the signatures, hence they will remain as they are.
However I don't really know if spraying the base it will effect the signatures in any way (smudge) so don't take my word on it.

-Hope it helps-

Regards.

George
sonny sixshooter

Remember that it is a guitar, it was meant to be played, not just displayed. take a lot of pictures of it, and then play it, and if they wear of, just another reason to seek out your idols again, to have them renew their autographs.
Moderator777

My suggestion is to have a professional guitar painter apply a clearcoat over the signature. If you don't know how to do it yourself then leave it to the pros or you might end up ruining the signature and the surface of your guitar. It's shouldn't cost much to do if you strip the body down before before taking it in. I know people who have done this in the past with great results.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
al

ah sure fuck it try it urself fuck professionals

draw on the back of the guitar, somewhere u wudnt see and try ythe laquer out f it man try it